The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

For those travelling to Mexico and maybe Canada...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by EL_REY
bieng a mexican american, i kind of agree with the whole passport thing; i mean we do have to keep illegals out of the country... but wtf in the news when we hear we have to secure our borders this is what they are talking about, keeping "wetbacks" out, wtf?? us mexicans arent the ones bombing embassies around the world or hijacking planes and slamming into towers, but yet even when I cross the border i get the freakin 3rd degree.(but then yes i am in Texas so i guess its expected) but why arent ppl from asia turned away, esp since it was THEM who did what they did?
Not meaning to spur a political hot potato, but illegal immigration has been devastating our economy for far too long...especially here in the Southern states. Why has Calif lost 13 emergency hospitals in the last 6 years? Primarily because illegals use them as their primary care facilities with zero intention of repaying. Why have hit-and-run accidents freakin skyrocketed in the last decade? A significant reason is that illegals don't have insurance so they take their chances bolting. They add enormous amounts of students to the educational system without paying taxes into the system, jacking up the room sizes, thus cutting teacher-to-student ratios and the quality of education. Many can't speak English so too often the educational process grinds to a halt while trying to get everyone to a passible English level. Too often they are under nourished children, so the state gets to pick up the tab for their food. Etc et al...

As someone who has worked for years in the educational system, I have seen the devastation that illegal immigration brings in that arena. This is the fundamental right and responsibility of any government--caring for their own people and protecting their borders. Unless and until we can secure our borders we will continue to face this difficulty.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Additionally...

I believe the government states that you need to allow AT LEAST 90 days for the passport to be issued. I think they mentioned 1 $100 fee.

I've had a passport for close to 40 years. The renewal process is much faster, probably because you're already in "their" files.

If you travel for your employment AND it is a major company (or have a connection) they have a method to speed the issue process.

Oh, I have used many different I.D.'s through the years but, the Passport seems to be the best with the respective authorities. especially now with the National Security Act requirements.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Bravo, Krejaton...(ovation and applause here)...I agree, obviously.

We are witnessing the same "things" here in Arizona.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:19 PM

Being at the hospital here we see plenty of the same issues. Non English speaking illegals are coming into the hospital, getting cleared on AHCCCS (medicaid) for our tax dollars to pay, and now they have a child that is a resident of the US. So they have a prob sending mom back over the boarder with a baby that was born on US soil. We see lots of people that don't qualify for AHCCCS and get a free ride through the hospital and without a SSN or anykind of way to bill them they scoot and we get left writing off the bill.

Lots of accident happen here from cars that have SON-MEX plates. (sonora mexico)... we have to get Mexico insurance to protect our cars over there but they aren't required to have the same here. Its no wonder this urgency to put something like this into effect. At least with having to have a passport they can be found, ticketed, billed, or in some small way held accountable for some of the things they have gotten away with in the past.

On top of it all some of the schools here are making Spanish a requirement for kids as young as 8 now. So now since we can't teach them English we are being forced to learn Spanish as a second language.

Done with my rant....::steps off soapbox::
Old 10-12-2006, 12:03 AM

I'm up in Canada and I've done a fair bit of travelling. I've been down to the US about 8 or 10 times in the last 3 years and I've been to Europe a few times. I've always travelled with a passport. I'm not sure if passports are different in the US but I don't understand why there is so much complaining going on. It's not difficult to travel with a passport. It's small, it fits in your pocket and if it will solve whatever problems are going on whats the big deal?? Our passports are good for 5 years and they cost around 60 to 90CAD. They take about 2 to 6 weeks depending on how busy things get.
A passport seems like a small price to pay and it seems easy enough to acquire. I recall just recently, within the last year, Bush trying to convince Canada to jump on board this new credit card passport thing. I believe the Canadian government laughed at that idea when a cost estimate was produced.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:35 AM

I personall think that to enter the US (and all countries for that matter) you should need a passport. I have had them for personal reasons and business. I have traveled to numerous countries, including Mexico and Canada.

Originally Posted by EL_REY
bieng a mexican american,
I also do not like these statements. I don't call myself of German American. I'm an American. My daughter is 100% hispanic from Guatemala (adopted) and she is also an American. I think the only one that is "legit" is the term Native American. Especially since the name "Indian" only came from the though the pilgrams landed on another continent.

And if noone actuall knew, there is no official language for the USA. Although they are in the process of making it English. But I doubt that will pass now.

I'll get off my soadbox now.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:48 AM

chicklets.... dont forget the chicklets..
Old 10-12-2006, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by solman98
I also do not like these statements. I don't call myself of German American. I'm an American. My daughter is 100% hispanic from Guatemala (adopted) and she is also an American. I think the only one that is "legit" is the term Native American. Especially since the name "Indian" only came from the though the pilgrams landed on another continent.
It has to do with pride in your heritage and who you are. I call myself an Italian American sometimes but not all the time. I am a true American above all other things but I am also proud of the fact that I have Italian blood running through my veins. How is that wrong? Because we all are American we should forget our history, ancestors, and where we came from? That is just wrong! I don't know about you but my family has only been here for a few generations so a lot of American history doesn't apply to my family tree, like slavery for example. As a matter of fact my people didn't have quite a warm welcome to America if you remember your American history correctly. So I ask again, what is wrong with being proud of who you are? If the person refuses to be American, believe in the American ways, or wants to differentiate themselves from the rest of America then I have a huge problem. But to be proud of both your heritage and the fact you are American is truly a beautiful thing! More people here in America should be proud of their ancestors!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by solman98
And if noone actuall knew, there is no official language for the USA. Although they are in the process of making it English. But I doubt that will pass now.
This is kind of incorrect. There is no official language at a national level but several states have adopted laws making English their official language.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
It has to do with pride in your heritage and who you are. I call myself an Italian American sometimes but not all the time. I am a true American above all other things but I am also proud of the fact that I have Italian blood running through my veins. How is that wrong? Because we all are American we should forget our history, ancestors, and were we came from? That is just wrong! I don't know about you but my family has only been here for a few generations so a lot of American history doesn't apply to my family tree, like slavery for example. As a matter of fact my people didn't have quite a warm welcome to America if you remember your American history correctly. So I ask again, what is wrong with being proud of who you are? If the person refuses to be American, believe in the American ways, or wants to differentiate themselves from the rest of America then I have a huge problem. But to be proud of both your heritage and the fact you are American is truly a beautiful thing! More people here in America should be proud of their ancestors!

and when i said it, i just wanted to let it be known that i am hispanic, and that i think we should control the illegal immigration, ESP from the middle east, even tho its not illegal when they come, its for political asylum...wtf, yea let em come on in and kill us huh.... but lets not let Pedro or Maria come and mow our lawns, pick the fruit we eat, or clean out homes huh?

plus all that crap about that its just the illegals causing problems to the economy.... yea theres no white ppl, black ppl, hispanic ppl, or whatever ..i mean come on, let us not forget there are MANY indigents who also take advantage of this who are "americans"

Quick Reply: For those travelling to Mexico and maybe Canada...