The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

For those travelling to Mexico and maybe Canada...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
It has to do with pride in your heritage and who you are. I call myself an Italian American sometimes but not all the time. I am a true American above all other things but I am also proud of the fact that I have Italian blood running through my veins. How is that wrong? Because we all are American we should forget our history, ancestors, and where we came from? That is just wrong! I don't know about you but my family has only been here for a few generations so a lot of American history doesn't apply to my family tree, like slavery for example. As a matter of fact my people didn't have quite a warm welcome to America if you remember your American history correctly. So I ask again, what is wrong with being proud of who you are? If the person refuses to be American, believe in the American ways, or wants to differentiate themselves from the rest of America then I have a huge problem. But to be proud of both your heritage and the fact you are American is truly a beautiful thing! More people here in America should be proud of their ancestors!
It's nothing about pride. It's nothing personal. I know a good bit about my heritage. I know My father fought in WWII against the Germans, which he is. But he fought as an American. I just see "hertiage" getting used more and more, and for some, they have never even been to that particular country. There is nothing wrong with showing pride in your heritage/background. Same as religion. If I can't rejoice about my God in public, why should you be allowed to rejoice in your Vulcan American (a joke of course) heritage?
Old 10-12-2006, 08:48 AM

This is kind of incorrect. There is no official language at a national level but several states have adopted laws making English their official language.
I stated official language in the USA, so it is correct.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
It's nothing about pride. It's nothing personal. I know a good bit about my heritage. I know My father fought in WWII against the Germans, which he is. But he fought as an American. I just see "hertiage" getting used more and more, and for some, they have never even been to that particular country. There is nothing wrong with showing pride in your heritage/background. Same as religion. If I can't rejoice about my God in public, why should you be allowed to rejoice in your Vulcan American (a joke of course) heritage?

who says you cant?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Banned

That's why I said kind of. There are several states here in the US where English is the official language. We just don't have a federal law making it so in every state.

If I can't rejoice about my God in public, why should you be allowed to rejoice in your Vulcan American (a joke of course) heritage?
That one throws me for a loop? Who says you can't rejoice god in public? Millions do it every day. That's why there are so many religions and places of worship. The problem with religion arises when people want to combine religion with politics on hot issues like prayer in school or gay marriage. Of course all the fundamentalist Christians want prayer in school because our nation was founded on God and that's what God wants, not realizing how diverse our nation has become since then and that they would be forcing people that don't have the same beliefs to pray to a God other than their own. The same kind of logic applies to gay marriage. There really is no reason why homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to get married here in the land of freedom; it all boils down to a moral/religious issue. Because God doesn't like homosexuals they shouldn't be allowed to show their love for each other or be happy.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by EL_REY
who says you cant?
Your joking right? "God" is not allowed in any public or government buildings, including schools. The state capitol building here recently had to remove a plaque that quoted the 10 Commandments cause it offended some. Same as removing the Rebel Flag. State of GA had to redo it's state flag that had been flying for how many years cause part of it displayed the Rebel Flag, that's a lot of heritage for some. But since they offended some, they can not be displayed.

I'm glad people enjoy their heritage, but fair is fair.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:40 AM

Same as religion. If I can't rejoice about my God in public, why should you be allowed to rejoice in your Vulcan American (a joke of course) heritage?

I have to agree with the capt and his point on this. Churches are a public place, they have outdoor worship services all the time. I see stickers on cars all the time, signs up everywhere. So yes you can and do rejoice in public.
It just should not be done in schools or place like that because there are many backgrounds. Your god may not be the same as someone who is a muslim (and I am not talking the wacko's). If they were to stop school 3 times a day so they can rejoice you would be offended and say it is not right.
Thats my
and this thread is about passports and getting back and over into the us and not abot relgion.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by dbarberaz
and this thread is about passports and getting back and over into the us and not abot relgion.
Your right, and I appologize to the original poster.

I believe you should have a passport to exit/enter any country.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:52 AM

Your right, and I appologize to the original poster.

I believe you should have a passport to exit/enter any country.

It is nothing personal, lets just say I know what happens when this topic is brought up. Some people can not talk about this they want to start trouble because they are closed minded and think no matter what they are correct.
Then people are fighting and banned and everything else.

Topic....passports
I do not have one but see nothing wrong with them. I think that could be one of the best way's to help protect the good ole USA. No it would not be 100% but a good start.
Not that I am saying to do this, but the only 100% way is let no one in. And that just does not seem right.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Banned

I think any county would be glad to give me back to the US regardless if I have a passport or not. I know Canada used to love to kick me out in my younger days. I don't think a passport will stop anybody from entering the country illegally. If someone wants to be in the US they are going to find a way in to the US regardless of any attempts we make to stop it from happening. The way this talk is going it sounds like some of us want America to be like Nazi Germany minus the genocide.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:25 AM

The way this talk is going it sounds like some of us want America to be like Nazi Germany minus the genocide.
Extremely bad example made in poor taste.

Quick Reply: For those travelling to Mexico and maybe Canada...