The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

For those travelling to Mexico and maybe Canada...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by solman98
If you want to compare security to the Nazi's. That is done is poor taste IMO. I served this country for over 20 years in the military. Fought in three wars, you know the type were you get shot at. To this day I still work for the Goverment, proudly. I work closely with numerous other Government agencies including, Air Force, Navy, Army, Marines, DoD, DHS, & and many others. I may not agree with what comes from our government, but I still support and defend it. Just think, the next 9/11 might not be so tame.
You're blowing it a little out of proportion. I'm not comparing any of our armed forces to Nazi's nor would I. I'm comparing some people’s options to Nazi ideology. If you read back through some of my past post I always support our troops. I feel the same way as you, even if I don't agree with our governments actions I always support our soldiers. They deserve the utmost respect for bravely serving our country. Also nobody mentioned the fence or shutting down the borders yet but I'm sure it would have come up soon. I have seen this happen before on other forums were it starts simple then ends up a hate fest. My comments were not aimed at you in any way but just my thoughts in general. I apologize if you felt otherwise because that was never my intent. I should just stay out of political threads. I just can't help but jump in sometimes to share my thoughts and try to maintain a little objectivity in the thread.

Last edited by captain howdy; 10-12-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Sorry, one other question. Previously religion and the state was brought up and there was talk about how religion is kept out of school and public buildings and government and whatever.

In court rooms and during trials, do witnesses still swear on the bible before testimony?

And why does your money say "In God we Trust"?
To be honest, I don't know if they still use the bible in court or not. last time I got jury duty, I was not selected. But I would imagine if someone stated they would not use a bible, it could not be forced.

There are those fighting the money issue. I'm sure we will hear more on that.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned

Sorry, one other question. Previously religion and the state was brought up and there was talk about how religion is kept out of school and public buildings and government and whatever.

In court rooms and during trials, do witnesses still swear on the bible before testimony?

And why does your money say "In God we Trust"?
Unfortunately yes.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Banned

Oh, and I would just like to mention that I am in no way trying to make it sound like Canadians are better people than Americans. I am just trying to show how we differ.
I think it's cool you're sharing your opinion also. I think a problem with a lot of Americans is that they never think of us on a global level. To them America is the world.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:09 PM

I really enjoy reading the discussions that take place here. I love having a fairly close look at American society. I really enjoy the posts made about people being American versus Mexican American, Italian American whatever. I don't understand the amalgamation forced upon people to become "American." Why is it that someone should have to forego their history and ethnicity and background in order to live in the US and be an American citizen.
The government of Canada and the people of Canada embrace multi-culturalism. We have been our country on a foundation that everyone here is from different places, believes different things and we respect each other for that. Some of the greatest events that happen in various cities across Canada are multi-cultural events. Citizens of Canada who have come from all over the earth come together for festivals to share culture, food, stories, and their backgrounds. It's a great way to actually learn about people from other countries. We're not afraid of our identities. I'm a Polish-German-Canadian.

That's all for now, keep the conversation coming! I love hearing/seeing/reading it.
this is true.. nice post
yes i am an American first, then i am hispanic....but if i say mexican american, i guess im not a true partiot, but that only seems to happen here in the good ol usa

and its true about the events...some of the best "parties" are thrown by us drunk mejicanos like on cinco de mayo(and no its not called that cuz the titanic sank with a load of mayonaise going to mexico)
oh and the oktoberfest thrown by them gallon beer drinkin over in New Braunfels TX
Old 10-12-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I think it's cool you're sharing your opinion also. I think a problem with a lot of Americans is that they never think of us on a global level. To them America is the world.
That's a very interesting comment! It does seem as though some Americans think that the world is theirs. I've always wondered where that feeling stems from.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:14 PM

That's a very interesting comment! It does seem as though some Americans think that the world is theirs. I've always wondered where that feeling stems from.
from Tony Montana...
Old 10-12-2006, 12:18 PM

El Rey, what I wonder is why does saying you're an "American" make you any more patriotic than saying you're a "Mexican American"? Mexican just denotes your background, American is who you are now. Would you really be less patriotic if you called yourself a Mexican American?

No amount of verbal action or kicking and beating is going to change someones bloodline or history.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
You're blowing it a little out of proportion. I'm not comparing any of our armed forces to Nazi's nor would I. I'm comparing some people’s options to Nazi ideology. If you read back through some of my past post I always support our troops. I feel the same way as you, even if I don't agree with our governments actions I always support our soldiers. They deserve the utmost respect for bravely severing our country. Also nobody mentioned the fence or shutting down the borders yet but I'm sure it would have come up soon. I have seen this happen before on other forums were it starts simple then ends up a hate fest. My comments were not aimed at you in any way but just my thoughts in general. I apologize if you felt otherwise because that was never my intent. I should just stay out of political threads. I just can't help but jump in sometimes to share my thoughts and try to maintain a little objectivity in the thread.
Sorry also, but you hit a nerve. Security of our country is lacking, slowly getting better. But we have a long ways to go. If 9/11 showed this country anything, it should be that there is not such thing as too much security. As we were lacking in it. I don't joke about it. I buried to many co-workers and friends due to this "problem".
Old 10-12-2006, 12:28 PM

El Rey, what I wonder is why does saying you're an "American" make you any more patriotic than saying you're a "Mexican American"? Mexican just denotes your background, American is who you are now. Would you really be less patriotic if you called yourself a Mexican American?

No amount of verbal action or kicking and beating is going to change someones bloodline or history.
hey thats what i would like to know....
like in my first post, then they guy was like i hate that, i disagree with that etc etc....
and ive always been "american" my whole family, since my great grandparents, are from texas, some from california, and some from up north... so im not a "mexican" per-se.... but i am of mexican decent

i would guess that people think that when we say we are mexican american, that we support mexico more then the US, hell i really dont know.....

Quick Reply: For those travelling to Mexico and maybe Canada...