The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

For those travelling to Mexico and maybe Canada...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:33 PM

Interesting stuff El Rey, cool to know. It's interesting to see what things are like.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
That's a very interesting comment! It does seem as though some Americans think that the world is theirs. I've always wondered where that feeling stems from.
I have several thought's on why but I wont post them for fear of pissing other off. Then I get banned. I think a lot of it can be sumed up in Bad Religions song American Jesus.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I have several thought's on why but I wont post them for fear of pissing other off. Then I get banned. I think a lot of it can be sumed up in Bad Religions song American Jesus.
Let's see if I can find that reference while at work!

On "Family Guy" I remember seeing an episode where they showed a little cartoon about the history of American. I was supposed to be a parody of one of those after school specials or something like that. It started with the pilgrims leaving Europe becuase they were scared or something like that. Then they arrived in American and met the Indians. Then they got scared of them and started killing them. It goes on to the Blacks that were brought over from Africa as slaves. It shows the Americans getting scared again.

I don't know if you know what I am referring to or not. I thought it was hilarious. Don't know how much truth there was in it but it was great. It seems pretty on par because of all the tension that seems to be part of every day life in America. Gov't is scared, people are scared, I would hate to live with that kind of fear.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by EL_REY
hey thats what i would like to know....
like in my first post, then they guy was like i hate that, i disagree with that etc etc....
That was nothing against you. This is the way I look at it. This is the United States of America. If you are a citizen, you are an American. If you are a citizen of Germany, you are a German (granted during the cold war east & west played a part), Ireland, Irish, etc.

I'll leave it at that.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:11 PM

The government of Canada and the people of Canada embrace multi-culturalism. We have been our country on a foundation that everyone here is from different places, believes different things and we respect each other for that.
That's all for now, keep the conversation coming! I love hearing/seeing/reading it.
Well, we Americans can thank the Canadians for the Cajuns!! They were run off of land in Canada years ago:

The Acadians were French settlers of eastern Canada who were exiled from their land in the 1750s. The Cajuns are their descendants who settled in Louisiana. Today, thousands of Acadian-Cajun descendants cherish their rich legacy of history and genealogy.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Banned

Let's see if I can find that reference while at work!

On "Family Guy" I remember seeing an episode where they showed a little cartoon about the history of American. I was supposed to be a parody of one of those after school specials or something like that. It started with the pilgrims leaving Europe becuase they were scared or something like that. Then they arrived in American and met the Indians. Then they got scared of them and started killing them. It goes on to the Blacks that were brought over from Africa as slaves. It shows the Americans getting scared again.

I don't know if you know what I am referring to or not. I thought it was hilarious. Don't know how much truth there was in it but it was great. It seems pretty on par because of all the tension that seems to be part of every day life in America.
Yup I remeber it and I LMAO.

Gov't is scared, people are scared, I would hate to live with that kind of fear.
That's why I don't. I refuse to live like that. Most people here in America are afraid of terrorist, anyone who is not white, anyone who isn't Christian, anyone who doesn't seem to fit in to mainstream society, I could go on with this list forever because we are afraid of so many things. The big one is terrorism. Every other week we are going to be attacked or have to increase our security. Terrorism has always been a threat on a global level but we've been lucky and it hasn't been that much of a problem here in America. After 9/11 we realized what the world has been dealing with forever and became frightened like a bunch of little school girls watching a slasher film. People don't realize what they are doing is exactly what the terrorist are wanting us to do. The terrorist lack the technology, manpower, transportation, and so forth to launch a full scale attack on America so they do the next best thing. Make our people live in fear of a small group of maniacs every day for the rest of our lives. We played right in to Bin Laden's trap. Then my country launches an attack on a different country right after which further perpetuates the fact that most Americans can't tell the difference between Middle Easterners. I have a pretty close Indian buddy. After 9/11 people were giving him comments and dirty looks but his family isn't even from the Middle East. He would have to be like, "I'm Indian douchbag!" to people all the time.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Yup I remeber it and I LMAO.

That's why I don't. I refuse to live like that. Most people here in America are afraid of terrorist... Every other week we are going to be attacked or have to increase our security... People don't realize what they are doing is exactly what the terrorist are wanting us to do.

This reminds me of what is happening right now with North Korea. I'm not too worried about North Korea having Nuclear Weapons. Yes, I know and agree that their leader is a little off but I think it's their right to have nuclear weapons. I'm scared of the American reaction. An American reaction is what is going to trigger insanity. Let the Koreans sit there playing with their toy. They won't attack unless provoked, that is what they are waiting for I think.

The US is like that big tough guy that everyone hates that has a short fuse. You don't want to mess with him becuase you know you can't win but you can annoy him to the point where he snaps and then you can "bust a cap in his a**" and call it self-defence.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Founding Member

Hey gang, are we doin' ok in this thread? Peacefull debate....
My famous words, it's possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

Although I haven't read every single word of this thread, it seems like you're all doing ok!
Old 10-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Banned

This reminds me of what is happening right now with North Korea. I'm not too worried about North Korea having Nuclear Weapons. Yes, I know and agree that their leader is a little off but I think it's their right to have nuclear weapons. I'm scared of the American reaction. An American reaction is what is going to trigger insanity. Let the Koreans sit there playing with their toy. They won't attack unless provoked, that is what they are waiting for I think.

The US is like that big tough guy that everyone hates that has a short fuse. You don't want to mess with him becuase you know you can't win but you can annoy him to the point where he snaps and then you can "bust a cap in his a**" and call it self-defence.
As much as I love my country I have to agree. Our foreign policies suck! We are so hung up on being the world police that we don't care about who we piss off in the process. I think it's kind of weird that we are so stuck on everyone else having nuclear weapons but it's okay for us to have them. Maybe it has something to do with guilt because my county is the only country in history to have used something as horrific as atomic weaponry. I think having nuclear weaponry is all about intimidation and fear. I don't think any political leader no matter how insane wants to bring about the end of the world by starting a nuclear war.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Founding Member

...and as a reminder, the topic of this thread is "For those travelling to Mexico and maybe Canada... " to bring up that you may need a passport to return to the USA.

Quick Reply: For those travelling to Mexico and maybe Canada...