The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

For those travelling to Mexico and maybe Canada...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SindyDix
Hey gang, are we doin' ok in this thread? Peacefull debate....
My famous words, it's possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

Although I haven't read every single word of this thread, it seems like you're all doing ok!
Yup, I think this is the most civil one so far.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:50 PM

Yes, all seems to be going well. Either noone is getting too upset or they are holding their tongues.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kwhopper89
Well, we Americans can thank the Canadians for the Cajuns!! They were run off of land in Canada years ago:

The Acadians were French settlers of eastern Canada who were exiled from their land in the 1750s. The Cajuns are their descendants who settled in Louisiana. Today, thousands of Acadian-Cajun descendants cherish their rich legacy of history and genealogy.

Actually, you should "thank" the Brits for the expulsion of the Acadians, they were the ones that did that long before Canada became a country
Old 10-12-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
...and as a reminder, the topic of this thread is "For those travelling to Mexico and maybe Canada... " to bring up that you may need a passport to return to the USA.

what i still dont freakin understand is why WE AMERICANS need a freakin passport to get back into OUR OWN FREAKIN country
Old 10-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EL_REY
what i still dont freakin understand is why WE AMERICANS need a freakin passport to get back into OUR OWN FREAKIN country
Fear of terrorist.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:51 PM

Is it really that big a deal. It's a little booklet. If it will help fight terrorism or keep illegals out then what's the big deal. I don't see it as a burden so why complain about it? In many countries virtually everyone has a passport when they travel because it just makes crossing borders easier. Passports are a universal document which are pretty much standardized. Does having to carry this infringe on you constitutional rights as a citizen? No, probably not. It's a simple security measure.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Founding Member

I agree! However, I have nothing to hide, I have no problem showing proper documentation proving I belong here if I need to get back in. Just a few minute ID check and I'm back on my way. A small inconvience price to pay to make things somewhat more 'secure'/safer.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Since I am NOT a citizen of another country, and do not know the answer......

Calgary....when you travel out of Canada, upon your return do you need to show your passport? I understand, with the exception of a few countries, that it is necessary to display a passport to re-enter your country of origin. Isn't our government just doing what almost every other government does???? I never paid much attention to citizens returning to their country (except China), so I really don't know.

In my case, many of the countries I have traveled to require a passport to check into the hotel. They (I really wonder about this) don't care where you are from as long as you can comply with their government requirement of passport registration.

One observation, from my travels.....we Americans, as a group, are the most obnoxious, arrogant people when traveling to other counties (next to the French) . We feel the need to constantly remind peoples of the world who we are and how it is done in the U.S., especially over the last 5 years. Maybe because we have had to many freedoms and feel some are being removed because of security acts, etc. We tend to forget that other countries have done the things we are now doing, for years. And then we think THEY have the nerve to do this or that to us.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
This reminds me of what is happening right now with North Korea. I'm not too worried about North Korea having Nuclear Weapons. Yes, I know and agree that their leader is a little off but I think it's their right to have nuclear weapons. I'm scared of the American reaction. An American reaction is what is going to trigger insanity. Let the Koreans sit there playing with their toy. They won't attack unless provoked, that is what they are waiting for I think.

The US is like that big tough guy that everyone hates that has a short fuse. You don't want to mess with him becuase you know you can't win but you can annoy him to the point where he snaps and then you can "bust a cap in his a**" and call it self-defence.

HOLDING MY TONGUE !!!
Old 10-12-2006, 09:21 PM

Snoopy, yeah when I travel and return to Canada I show my passport at customs. I believe that when crossing back from the US it is not absolutely necessary but now a days with all the heightened security it would be ridiculous to try to travel into the US and back to Canada without a passport. If you have a passport you rarely ever have difficulty with customs or immigration.

I've run into many folks who I thought were fellow Canadians in Europe only to find out they were Americans. Apparently, there are many Americans who like to put Canadian flags on their packs so as not to get hassled for being from the US.

Quick Reply: For those travelling to Mexico and maybe Canada...