The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Time for some kids to get their butt kicked.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Banned

Of course you want to be your childs friend. Not in a lets go hang out drinking type way but I don't want them to fear me in any way. What type of parenting is making your child fear you so you can have total control over them?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Of course you want to be your childs friend. Not in a lets go hang out drinking type way but I don't want them to fear me in any way. What type of parenting is making your child fear you so you can have total control over them?
I don't think that's what he meant.

This applies to many situations when you're an authority position.

You can and should be friends, but when you become too close, it can lead to situations where you lose respect as an authority figure and are looked as as a "buddy".

It cuts both ways, as a parent, and I've seen this happen, the kids are not held responsible for their actions for fear of them not being "buddies" anymore. As a kids, you usually don't take your "buddies" as seriosly when it comes to breaking rules and such as they would someone who they know will hold them accountable.

Yes, a parent should be their child's best friend, I hope i'm Caleb's best friend, but there is a fine line to walk to also remain a parent who will bust their a$$ when needed.

When it comes down to it, I'll choose to be a parent, looking out for my son's best interest, before being a "friend" and allowing them to get away with a bunch of stupid crap that will cause them problems down the road. However, once the "parenting" is over, I'll talk to my "friend" about why things went down the way they needed to.

Parenting, the toughest, and greatest job in the world!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
That I can definitely agree with!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
I don't think that's what he meant.

This applies to many situations when you're an authority position.

You can and should be friends, but when you become too close, it can lead to situations where you lose respect as an authority figure and are looked as as a "buddy".

It cuts both ways, as a parent, and I've seen this happen, the kids are not held responsible for their actions for fear of them not being "buddies" anymore. As a kids, you usually don't take your "buddies" as seriosly when it comes to breaking rules and such as they would someone who they know will hold them accountable.

Yes, a parent should be their child's best friend, I hope i'm Caleb's best friend, but there is a fine line to walk to also remain a parent who will bust their a$$ when needed.

When it comes down to it, I'll choose to be a parent, looking out for my son's best interest, before being a "friend" and allowing them to get away with a bunch of stupid crap that will cause them problems down the road. However, once the "parenting" is over, I'll talk to my "friend" about why things went down the way they needed to.

Very well said!