The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Tinkering

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2024, 11:35 PM

Tinkering

I am mechanically inclined with repairing / rebuilding stuff . always has been since a kid, building street rods in the garage with friends , something Id like to do again with my son... build a 1955-57 chevy stepside one day.
Anyway, to pass time Ive been buying cheap/free small engine stuff like chainsaws and making a little extra pocket change. I usually get stuff free and non running or $10 with issues, slap about $10-$20 into it with my time and make $100 not too bad ( just sold a gas Hedge Trimmer today for $100 )
i had a couple big generators I repaired, 8500 watt that werent moving ( usually sell better when the weather gets cold out ) Had someone offer to trade a couple Quad runners for one so I took up on it since I could use one her on the property and hoping my son takes up interest in riding around on the smaller one?
So they were in pretty sad shape , was told the smaller quad needed a new starter, once I got into it, all it needed was a repair to the wiring for the safety switch and it was running (waiting on a new battery as the old was shot ) but its ready to go once it arrives.
Now the big quad, Arctic Cat 250 was a nightmare with butchered wiring. I got it mostly repaired and figured out, just waiting on a new ignition switch since the main power comes from it. Got it cleaned up, repaired the shocks that were missing the rubber grommets , changed the oil and filter, and decided to paint it ( I hate red ) so giving it a Military vibe ( more for hunting and outdoor , maybe a camo theme later ? )

Old 09-04-2024, 11:40 PM

and the little one... 125cc

Old 09-05-2024, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Cool , those will keep you busy.
Old 09-05-2024, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Yes agreed, the skull in front on that one, nice touch..
Old 09-05-2024, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Yes agreed, the skull in front on that one, nice touch..
Yup, thats the skull I bought and was going to "glass" it into the front grill of the 08 I had to customize the grill before the Deer took it out a few years back. I just thought it would be a cool touch to the BonezCrusher....LOL
Old 09-06-2024, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Bonez- Hope life is treating ya well..
Old 09-06-2024, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Bonez- Hope life is treating ya well..
Thanks, so far so good but lately all the pain has been getting to me ( spinal injuries ) My neck and back has been killing me for the past month or so but lately my left knee and right shoulder are acting up too?
Today I had a shop break the beads on the 2 front tires to tube them, but cant get them to seat now and aftraid to add more that the 20psi already in them since they are so dry rotted. Its temporary so i can move it around, once I get all the work done Ill get new tires on it...unless I sell it.

Old 09-07-2024, 08:20 AM

Well you can’t sell it with beads not seated. Slather some bead sealant in there. Tread rubber is not structural. No way of knowing if the casing is sound. If it blows, you can sell it with the added value of new tires.
Old 09-07-2024, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
Well you can’t sell it with beads not seated. Slather some bead sealant in there. Tread rubber is not structural. No way of knowing if the casing is sound. If it blows, you can sell it with the added value of new tires.
The tires are dry rotted, I tubed them so I can move it and test ride it as I work on it. The beads magically seated overnight so all is good. Once I get the new ignition, rear manual brakes and other stuff done and its complete I will buy new tires, just not wasting the money if its just scrap metal.

I had it running today and drove it around the property, the first run it died ( blew a fuse ? ) pushed it back into the shop and couldnt find any issues with shorts or anything, popped in a new fuse and went for another spin, this time no issue with fuse blowing and ran great. Zoomed around for about 15 minutes throught the woods and field, pretty bad ass for a 250.
Figured out the wiring for the headlights tonight, needs new bulbs for the headlight housings that should be here in a few days. Once the ignition switch comes in I can get the fron fairing back on since I wont need to access the wiring any more.