The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Totally off the wall question!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:32 PM

Question Totally off the wall question!

Ok so I am expecting my first child this August. Its baby girl and couldn't be happier. I know there are a lot of older gentlemen on this forum and have a quick question for you all. About how much does a newborn cost? This is minus doctors visits. This is just needed items like diapers. We already bought all the furniture and car seats and strollers. My wife is determined not to have to buy anything later. We also are already stocking up on diapers. But everywhere I look everyone says newborns are very expensive. After all the furniture and other play we have already bought what else could possibly cost more. Any input is greatly appreciated. This is actually the issue that is making me wait on buying the HHR SS. And yes of course the baby is gonna come first, just wondering. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM

There is no answer for that question.....

My daughter will be 5 this month.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:42 PM

my baby turns 1 in like 4 days so I'm still going through it and to tell you the truth its really not that bad.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:52 PM

Ok thanks. Is it normal to be this paranoid about this stuff. My wife and I make very decent money but we definately aren't rich. Oh well I guess time will tell.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:53 PM

Not to worry, the real expense starts when they turn into aliens called “teenagers” $ 200.00 for a pair of the latest trendy shoes etc.

IMO You had better buy the HHR now; you will not be able to latter.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:03 PM

About how much does a newborn cost?
To buy or to lease ?

After birth, other than diapers, there's potentially formula, tons of pjs/underwear (they can easily go through 3-4 sets a day), face cloths & towels, soap & shampoo, and your basic medication kit: diaper rash cream, liquid tylenol, a thermometer,...

They start costing more when they start school and then (I guess) when they start driving...

Have fun ! I'm done that stage (6&9 y.o. girls)

Yves
Old 04-02-2008, 03:09 PM

Just pay and enjoy. When your kids are grown and have left the nest then you get grand kids. Then the real fun happens because you spend what you want and you get to send them home after you have had your fun. Regardless they really grow up fast, so enjoy the ride. Oh ya, teenage years are really fun, and then college comes and you learn what broke really is. So keep the insurance active, save all the money you can because you WILL NEED IT. Don't even think about rest, that comes much later in life.

See ya down the road
Bud-Harvey
Old 04-02-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by DreamHHR
To buy or to lease ?

After birth, other than diapers, there's potentially formula, tons of pjs/underwear (they can easily go through 3-4 sets a day), face cloths & towels, soap & shampoo, and your basic medication kit: diaper rash cream, liquid tylenol, a thermometer,...

They start costing more when they start school and then (I guess) when they start driving...

Have fun ! I'm done that stage (6&9 y.o. girls)

Yves

See I think I might be good cause the wife made me buy all that other stuff already. We have a baby shower still and we already have at least enough clothes until she is one. Maybe just maybe I can convince her to let me get it this weekend. HAHAHAHA
Old 04-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Founding Member

Insurance is a must, beside the medical cost there is the arm and leg cost of just living too, and it just keeps getting worse the older they get. My wife quit working after our second child. That took $48,000/year (1996 numbers) out of our income and we still survived. I don't know how but we did. Don't let the money worry you. It always works out.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Old Ray
IMO You had better buy the HHR now; you will not be able to latter.
My wife and I were married 10 years before we had our first child. 10 of the best years of my life! Not to say it's bad now, it was just better.

Quick Reply: Totally off the wall question!