The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Totally off the wall question!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:35 AM

The newborn stage is the easiest and least expensive time to bring up a child. The older they get, the more expensive they are. My daughter just turned 6 and the toys and food just keep going up in price. I just learned to stop spending so much on myself, so now the expenses kind of even out. Once you change your spending habits, it will work out fine!
Old 04-03-2008, 02:21 PM

Smile Newbie Baby

The ex & I are still paying and the kids are going on the big 40. So far no grand kiddies to spoil.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:09 PM

You always are more nervous just before and during the first child. Things like: "She doesn't look right, quick call the doctor!" and "The pacifier touched the floor, throw it out!". Then for any further kids you are experienced and it changes to "Oh, she'll probably be alright don't bother with the doctor" and "Ok, the pacifier fell into the toilet but just wipe it off on your pants before using it again" .

You're also tempted to buy every child-rearing gadget that you see, but in the end there are only a few items that you will really use, the rest will be sold at your garage sale eventually (I know this thru experience!). Crib, high-chair, folding playpen (for travel outside the house), stroller and of course a car seat are essentials. A wind-up or battery-powered swing is also nice to have.

If everything goes OK after delivery (health-wise), then the costs are actually pretty reasonable. They will grow out of clothes and shoes quickly, so hand-me-downs from relatives and used-clothing places are helpful. Formula is a lot more expensive than breastfeeding and breastfeeding also brings up the immune system much faster (which reduces doctor visits).

I have 6 kids from 4 yrs old to 16 yrs old and have learned something every time.

You're a better parent than you think, use common sense (like your parents did), forget the trendy child-rearing books.

Good Luck
Steve
Old 04-04-2008, 05:18 PM

The last I heard is that kids cost about $250,000 to raise them to 18. Congratulaton on the future adition to the economy.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:30 PM

Congrats, my first and only child, my daughter is 6 and 1\2 months old and even if it cost a million $$ I would pay it and be happy. She is without a doubt the greatest thing to ever happen to me. Anyway she is expensive (mostly diapers and still paying on the hospital bill) but when you hold him\her for the first time and when you see them smile for the first time and giggle for the first time I swear to you money will be the last thing on your mind.