The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Traded the HHR.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Again, your fuel prices are a component of oil prices, which are driven by the weakened US dollar. If we can't pay off our debts that everyone else owns, the cost of fungible goods is going to keep going up! Also, the distillates market is shared by off-road diesel and other fuels like jet fuel. Notice all the flights that are being cancelled right now. In fact, the only industry that isn't scaling back right now is rail just because they locked in their fuel prices years ago.
Clearly fuel is tied to oil/barrel cost but my point was that within that unit of cost they are outputting several products, two of which are gasoline and on-road diesel. Gasoline requires more refining processes to finish yet it is retailed for much less, while demand for both is roughly in parity, i.e. there is no surplus or shortage of either, at least not actual as this does not account for them holding diesel off the market to get the price up, which if true is basically economic treason given the effect diesel prices have on commercial transport. Again, with the diesel vs. gasoline difference its not the cost the barrel that is driving the difference, since they both come from the same barrel and distillates are a by-product early in the process of refining that barrel into gasoline-- they are by-products that require much less prep than gas. This makes the current large price difference highly questionable.

Flights are being cancelled more due to FAA directives known as AD's (Airworthiness Directives), mandating that certain maintenance items were done in a certain manner and in recent cases that a re-inspection was necessary to ensure compliance. I'm a pilot, used to own a Piper, and you either comply with an AD or your plane stays on the ground.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Clearly fuel is tied to oil/barrel cost but my point was that within that unit of cost they are outputting several products, two of which are gasoline and on-road diesel. Gasoline requires more refining processes to finish yet it is retailed for much less, while demand for both is roughly in parity, i.e. there is no surplus or shortage of either, at least not actual as this does not account for them holding diesel off the market to get the price up, which if true is basically economic treason given the effect diesel prices have on commercial transport. Again, with the diesel vs. gasoline difference its not the cost the barrel that is driving the difference, since they both come from the same barrel and distillates are a by-product early in the process of refining that barrel into gasoline-- they are by-products that require much less prep than gas. This makes the current large price difference highly questionable.

Flights are being cancelled more due to FAA directives known as AD's (Airworthiness Directives), mandating that certain maintenance items were done in a certain manner and in recent cases that a re-inspection was necessary to ensure compliance. I'm a pilot, used to own a Piper, and you either comply with an AD or your plane stays on the ground.
I could be wrong but I thought that gasoline was the waste that was left over after the oil refining process. I remember seeing videos form the early 1900's of guys dumping gasoline into creeks after the oil was refined into Kerosene.