The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

True American

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

you may be a True American if you grew up in the US and your entire neighborhood speaks spanish...even 27 years later
Old 07-21-2007, 01:51 PM

OK...terrific. You guys have fun with this thread. I happen to be Catholic but i never knew that you had to be Christian to be a "True Amrican". I'm Punching out of this discussion now. P.S. I never was a big Andy Rooney fan.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Banned

Yeah.....It's cool if your Christian or any religion for that matter but it shouldn't be required for of you to be a "true American".
Old 07-21-2007, 02:03 PM

I think the key is in the term 'christian values'. This country was founded on christian values, not religious fanaticism. Remember, they left England for several reasons, one of which was to be free to practice their religious beliefs as they saw fit. I'm not religious, but I do have 'christian values'. If you think that there should be NO religious references in government, please send me all of your money, because it's riddled with phrases like "In God We Trust". I wouldn't want any of you to be burdened with such offensive stuff.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:10 PM

I'm a Canadian Jew. I probably shouldn't even be in this thread
Old 07-21-2007, 02:12 PM

Ya , except for the new gold coins,no "In God WE Trust" on them

"Few men are so obstinate in their atheism, that a pressing danger will not
compel them to the acknowledgement of a divine power." -- Plato (428-348
BC)
Old 07-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chizzer
I'm a Canadian Jew. I probably shouldn't even be in this thread
:twothumbs That is the best post in this thread and will probably stay that way.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:16 PM

It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, "One nation, under God." and you’ve never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places. These points say nothing about having to be Christian they also do not say other religion should not be accepted, nor that you have to be a Christian to be American only that as an American you respect others opinions. And be accepting for them being apart of the original foundation of America. Which I believe if I’m able to accept someone living next door is of another religion or who does not accept religion at all. I respect their beliefs and they respect mine I believe this is the true American they are talking about here. And that it is a crime against America and the Constitution for others to attempt to take this foundation out from under America.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Iamaphinespelrr
Ya , except for the new gold coins,no "In God WE Trust" on them

"Few men are so obstinate in their atheism, that a pressing danger will not
compel them to the acknowledgement of a divine power." -- Plato (428-348
BC)
Why quote Plato? He was a pagan.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:21 PM

Despite my above comment, it's time for me to respond to this:

1.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, "One nation, under God."
Does this suggest that only America is protected by God, or that "God" in a Christian sense is the only God for America?

2.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places.
I'm not American, but I still think that (for the most part) the 10 commandments are a decent ethical guideline.

3.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You still say "Christmas" instead of "Winter Festival."
I do say Christmas, but it doesn't mean I celebrate it.

4.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You bow your head when someone prays.
I bow my head when I pray. Doesn't being TRUE AMERICAN inherently mean that you don't need to bow your head during prayer if you don't want to?

5.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem.
This is reasonable. It's not obscene to pay homage to your nation. I stand with my hand over my heart during the Canadian National Anthem.

6.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You treat Vietnam vets with great respect, and always have.
I treat any war vet with respect for what he/she went through. No use hating them for the cause, because it's not usually their choice to fight in these wars. Especially in a war where conscription was practiced.

7.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You've never burned an American flag.
That just means you don't HATE America, not that you are a true American.

8.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening.
Are you suggesting that Americans don't practice tact? Believe what you want to believe and express it in appropriate forums and mediums. Don't blurt it out because you feel like getting noticed.

9.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You respect your elders and expect your kids to do the same.
You might be a HALF DECENT PERSON if: You respect your elders and expect your kids to do the same.

10.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You'd give your last dollar to a friend.
See above. Being a good person is not exclusive to America

Don't take this as me hating America. I like it as much as the next country. I just think this list is (for the most part) terribly flawed and self-inflating.

Quick Reply: True American