The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

True American

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 03:31 PM

I suppose that's what happens when you put me in a thread about current America though. I'm more of a left-winger in Canadian politics... and considering that the Canadian right isn't far from the American left, you have something interesting going on.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by rcsart
Andy Rooney
DID YOU KNOW? As you walk up the steps to
the building which houses the U.S Supreme Court you can see near the top of the building a row of the world's law givers and each one is facing one in
the middle who is facing forward with a full frontal view .. it is Moses
and he is holding the Ten Commandments!

DID YOU KNOW?
As you enter the Supreme Court courtroom,
the two huge oak doors have the Ten Commandments engraved on each lower
portion of each door.

DID YOU KNOW?
As you sit inside the courtroom, you can see the wall, right above where the Supreme Court judges sit, a display of the Ten Commandments!

DID YOU KNOW?
There are Bible verses etched in stone all
over the Federal Buildings and Monuments in Washington, D.C.

DID YOU KNOW?
James Madison, the fourth president, known as "The Father of Our Constitution" made the following statement:
"We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control
ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

DID YOU KNOW?
Patrick Henry, that patriot and Founding Father of our country said: "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists but by Christians, not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ".

DID YOU KNOW?
Every session of Congress begins with a prayer by a paid preacher, whose salary has been paid by the taxpayer since 1777.

DID YOU KNOW?
Fifty-two of the 55 founders of the Constitution were members of the established orthodox churches in the
colonies.

DID YOU KNOW?
Thomas Jefferson worried that the Courts would overstep their authority and instead of interpreting the law would begin making law, an oligarchy the rule of few over many.

DID YOU KNOW?
The very first Supreme Court Justice, John Jay, said: "Americans should select and prefer
Christians as their rulers."

How, then, have we gotten to the point
that everything we have done for 220 years in this country is now suddenly wrong and unconstitutional? Let’s put it around the world and let the world see and remember what this great country was built on.
the above is only partially true and some of it is downright inaccurate...
here's the urban legends page on it...
just thought you should know...
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/capital.asp
Old 07-21-2007, 04:32 PM

Our men and women are currently fighting to protect the right for all of you speak and think whatever the hell you want. I may not agree with everyones thought process, statements or political leanings but I respect their right to express said things.

We also have numerous service members laying it all on the line who aren't even American citizens. You name it, almost every race, religion or nationality is represented in the armed forces.

You'll never hear me saying that I'm ashamed or embarrassed to be an American. As far as I'm concerned it is the greatest nation on the face of the earth(and yes I am half Canadian, mother is from the Toronto area)

Goose
Old 07-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Banned

I guess I should apologize for getting pissed and using the general term Christians and grouping everyone together. For that I truly apologize. rcsart you do realize you blamed slavery on Africa right? The fact is that America was started by a bunch of white Christian dudes that wanted to be free and they set up a system to protect our rights. Also in this they set it up so all people are equal and free here. Mind you some of that was through change like the white male populations acceptance of blacks, minorities, and women........now if we could just get homosexuals on that list. Times have changed and now we have people of every race, religion, and sexual preference that are true Americans. The notion that all Americans should believe in a Christian god because our forefathers did is just preposterous. Like the belief that we should have our children pray to a Christian god every morning in school regardless of religion. Some of our American practices and traditions can be damn right offending and pointless. Like making people swear on a bible before they testify in court. What power is a book going to hold over you if you don't believe in it? For a person like myself they might as well make me swear in on a roll of toilet paper. And if you are making a religious person from a different religion do it then that is just wrong. It seems like most Christians I know are only capable of tolerance; not acceptance and equality. It surprises me that to this day we always have an Anglo Saxon Christian at the head of our country. Maybe at least that will change during my lifetime. All god does for people is give them a sense of false hope so they don't actually have to face and solve their problems because they can just pray to a magic man in the sky to solve everything and gives them a get out of jail free card because Jesus died for all Christians sins so when you do something wrong it's okay because you're already forgiven.

Last edited by captain howdy; 07-21-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:01 PM

Actually I did point the finger at all involved, just mentionded their own people did allow slave traders to take them from Africa for a price. Neither action by either party was right, and it never should have been accepted in this country for any reason.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MOTRV8D
the above is only partially true and some of it is downright inaccurate...
here's the urban legends page on it...
just thought you should know...
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/capital.asp
Good reading there.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HonestBlues
Yeah...got to watch out for all those Christian suicide bombers don't we.
Actually there are Christian terrorist organizations like The Army of God or The Christian Patriot Movement. Lets not forget ultra religious right wing jerk offs like The Westboro Baptist Church that protest US soldiers burials. Fine examples of "true Americans" with "strong Christian values". Not to be insulting but it's kind of ignorant to overlook stuff like this because you're are blinded by your religion. BTW........I'm more afraid of a right wing fundamentalist Christian nut job than I am of any person that believes in Islam. At least Muslims don't stand on the corners of busy intersection with bibles in their hand yelling scripture telling you that you're going to burn in hell and all types of crap like that unless you accept Jesus right then and there. There's a good example of Christian tolerance. Some of those guys get down right pissed to the point of physical altercation because you wont listen to them, ignore them, or flat out tell them to piss off.

Last edited by captain howdy; 07-22-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Banned

Pro Choice!!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 07:58 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by quest51210
Pro Choice!!!!
Are you trying to get the thread locked??
Old 07-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Founding Member

Thread moved into the lounge.

Quick Reply: True American