The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

True American

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by rcsart
Wow! I have to say that was actually very impressive, I also have to say this seems to have become a very insightful debate of which I also have enjoyed. Not to mention we managed to pull it off without having the thread locked.
YUP! We can do it when we take our time and choose our words carefully. Perhaps we in this country DO have more in common than so many of our fear mongering leaders want us to think.

When you have so many people using the three "G's" God, Guns, and Gays to keep us in separate camps while teaching us to fear and shout down one another, it is hard to move anywhere but towards the stone age
Red State/Blue state my a$$! We are one Republic and should act more like one. No uniter's in politics, that's for sure. Time for a fresh start. I don't want right or left. I want a government that fears its people, not a people who fears its government.

And oh, I've stayed out of this thread because I'm on vacation and want to keep my blood pressure in check
I'd best stop now

I'll do my part by paying to see Right winger Bruce Willis in a left wing (It has to be according to popular convention ) Hollywood's "Live Free, Die Hard" while I'm in new Hampshire
Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
I don't want right or left. I want a government that fears its people, not a people who fears its government.
I think we can all agree on this one. Very well said.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 PM

QUOTE Chizzer

1.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, "One nation, under God."
Does this suggest that only America is protected by God, or that "God" in a Christian sense is the only God for America?
No, it does not suggest that only America is protected by God, it simply means we are one nation, (note the comma!) and that we are under God. Also being the fact that the Country was founded in the Christian sense that God was the only God, but hey it was just the founding fathers... what did they know. (Note the hint or sarcasm there)

2.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places.
I'm not American, but I still think that (for the most part) the 10 commandments are a decent ethical guideline.
They are very ethical, funny thing is they are all about that Christianity and that Christian sense of God.

3.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You still say "Christmas" instead of "Winter Festival."
I do say Christmas, but it doesn't mean I celebrate it.
Well as long as you still say it. In fact, I get offended when people say Happy Holidays, but hey, that kind of offense goes unnoticed

4.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You bow your head when someone prays.
I bow my head when I pray. Doesn't being TRUE AMERICAN inherently mean that you don't need to bow your head during prayer if you don't want to?
Nope, that's just what the world thinks being a true American means. Being a true American is knowing the need to bow your head and doing it willingly.

5.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem.
This is reasonable. It's not obscene to pay homage to your nation. I stand with my hand over my heart during the Canadian National Anthem.
So many people in America don't even take their hats off for the anthem. No respect.

6.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You treat Vietnam vets with great respect, and always have.
I treat any war vet with respect for what he/she went through. No use hating them for the cause, because it's not usually their choice to fight in these wars. Especially in a war where conscription was practiced.
Support the troops!

7.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You've never burned an American flag.
That just means you don't HATE America, not that you are a true American.
I can promise you that anyone who burns a flag is not a true American.

8.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening.
Are you suggesting that Americans don't practice tact? Believe what you want to believe and express it in appropriate forums and mediums. Don't blurt it out because you feel like getting noticed.
Seems like the only people who do say what they think are the ones that should be labeled anti-American. Most, but not all.

9.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You respect your elders and expect your kids to do the same.
You might be a HALF DECENT PERSON if: You respect your elders and expect your kids to do the same.
I have seen half decent people treat elderly with no respect.

10.) You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You'd give your last dollar to a friend.
See above. Being a good person is not exclusive to America
Not exclusive, but a good trait of a True American, note it never said only a True American can give his last dollar to his friend.

Don't take this as me hating America. I like it as much as the next country. I just think this list is (for the most part) terribly flawed and self-inflating.
That's your opinion, but note that it never said only true Americans can be... or will do...

I am a True American, I can say that I believe a true America with true Americans is a land with God centered values and objectives, but that doesn't mean any other country can't share those values and objectives. No one is saying only America, they are just saying True America is one of those who...
Old 08-05-2008, 11:17 AM

Captian Howdy where are you? This thread really makes me miss his posts.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:32 AM

Why? I just read the first few posts on this old thread and while he was trying to make points to support his opinions, his points were incorrect. Such as suggesting that America invented slavery. Slavery was brought here by the Dutch. Slavery has been going on for thousands of years and still is to this day. Sad but true. Anyone who suggests that we started slavery needs to study more. He also talks about the original Americans, the so-called Native Americans. That is just another incorrect 'Politically Correct term. And as part Cherokee, yes, I think I have the right to say it. Again, he must not have read much because the Indians were also not native here. They were just here before we were. And no, God did not help their plight. Anyone who actually learns enough about the Bible to have an informed opinions knows that 'Man' is the reason God lets bad things happen. There is also a little something in there about 'believing in Him'. The Indians had their own gods they prayed to. Why would anyone be upset with our Christian God for their plight?

And while Thomas Jefferson did say that men should not be penalized in any way for their religious beliefs, he also knew the importance of Christian beliefs.

Captain Howdy wrote that Jefferson said "No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained,..." Again, he was trying to support his own beliefs. That is why he left off the first line which reads "Almighty God hath created the mind free." Which means that GOD means for men to have the freedom to choose, not that there is no God as CH would want us to believe. God doesn't want drones. He wants us to come to Him freely.

So anyway - Like others have said, these values listed in this old thread are not exclusively American, but they are values that Americans should have. our country was a lot better off when more people did have them.

"The Bible is the cornerstone of liberty...students' perusal of the sacred volume will make us better citizens, better fathers, and better husbands." Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-06-2008, 01:28 PM

One thing's for sure: you are not a true American if you think we should all go out and buy tire pressure guages and bow towards Mecca.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:51 PM

I think Mizzou was just commenting that he misses his presence on the forums...

He sure kept things interesting thats for sure whether I agreed with him or not

Goose
Old 08-06-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Goose
I think Mizzou was just commenting that he misses his presence on the forums...

He sure kept things interesting thats for sure whether I agreed with him or not

Goose
That's it exactly goose. I didn't agree with CH very often, but he sure was entertaining and brought a lot of life to the board, especially in the early days.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by kornellred
One thing's for sure: you are not a true American if you think we should all go out and buy tire pressure guages and bow towards Mecca.
That bowing towards Mecca thing has always puzzled me. Since we live on a round globe, why do they face east, since no matter which direction you bow on a globe you are always facing Mecca, or for that matter a McDonalds.

True Americans. Interesting concept and this thread has some interesting postings. My 2¢ is, if you think that you are a True American then you are. But don't say other people are not True Americans because they don't believe what YOU believe.

And I miss Captian Howdy too. Nobody stirred a pot like he did.

P.S. We don't need no stinkin' tire guages!

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 08-06-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added the P.S.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:41 AM

I disagreed with CH a lot in the early days. Not necessarily in writing, but in thought. We have a lot of different ideals, it seems on almost everything as a matter of fact. But I always respect his right to his opinions. And I exercise my right to voice an opposing opinion. That doesn't have anything to do with liking a person or not. I have lots of aetheist/fanatically Liberal friends who I see a lot in my car hobbies. I don't hold it against them. I just pray for them.

There were times when I thought CH was a detriment to the forum because he pushed too far and stepped on the rights of others to disagree with him. But then there were also times when he was humorous. A nice balance is what it takes to keep it all in line.

My comments above were not about CH as a person, but only about the errors in his posts in this thread. I have no problem with him, or anyone else on this forum, personally.