The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: User Name vs Real Name
I prefer to be addressed with my user name
63.64%
I prefer you use my real name
36.36%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

User Name vs Real Name

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Everyone went off the "deep end" on this and as Black Beauty said, don't understand why.

BB you, again, certainly had a right to request this poll. I responded but didn't vote...there was no correct place to put my vote...since I do not care which name is used. But, like you, I certainly have a right to REQUEST a lock when I saw this "thing" starting out of control....posts that were beginning to become a "threat" to the topic, and the topic then going nowhere. It was an effort to establish decorum.

Your request to Sindy about etiquette.....etiquette is something people have or don't have. If Administration or the Mod.s have not prevented members from using "real" names, up to now, why should they start (it obviously is their decision, if it changes .....I will abide by it...which I do not believe I have violated, anyhow). But how will they enforce it. Ban someone for using my real name???

If etiquette is to be enforced, then a humbly and respectfully request Admin and Mod.'s to enforce punctuation, capitalization and spelling....which, in some cases, is a serious deficiency on this forum (and I may be guilty of, at times). Afterall good business practice etiquette, dictates these requirements, and they obviously, have not been embraced.

My 3 cents....
Old 11-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
I guess this poll will just die a slow death, unless you or another mod. locks it, I won`t. B/B
It seems it's on its way to death, either fast or slow. I'll check it when I get back from errands. I opted NOT to lock it earlier but seeing on how it appears you won't have issue with it if I do now, it may very well be done later. Keep in mind, someone else may do so in my absence.

Happy Holidays.....
Old 11-26-2006, 01:37 PM

I want to be clear that I'm not taking a stand on the issue of user names at all, to me its trivial. I guess I am taking a side.

I do not see any reason for closing this poll at all. I think it has brought up an important issue, internet etiquette. Something that most people either don't get or don't care. For instance not using caps except when you want to yell and the worst part about this is the people who do it and then are surprised when someone points out that it is considered rude.

I personally, think it is only respectful to use someone's user name unless they have responded to you and signed with it. At that point I consider it permission to use the given name. However, unless they use it publicly, I try to refrain from using it except in private

I think it is also unfair to promote a competing site without permission.

It's, IMO, unfair to ask the same questions over and over. Or to not bother reading a thread when the answer to the question asked is IN the thread already.

I could keep going but that would be bad etiquette.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Banned

Wow! This is why I have been on my horror forums more lately! What a pointless debate. If you use a persons real name and they don't like it I'm sure they'll let you know.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:52 PM

Guys/Gals, I`m not too computer literate, this is the only site I visit on a regular basis. I didn`t even have a computer until just before joining this site, so I`m only trying to get clarification on an issue that in normal life would have been settled long ago.
If we have usernames, why?
Is the profile zone there for members to use as a personal note book.
Does it cause confusion when non usernames are used? ( heck some people get confused with their own posts )
I just don`t see why the use of members real name is so much easier than using their username, unless it makes you feel closer to the person you`re addressing, which should be among consenting parties.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Guys/Gals, I`m not too computer literate, this is the only site I visit on a regular basis. I didn`t even have a computer until just before joining this site, so I`m only trying to get clarification on an issue that in normal life would have been settled long ago.
BB- thanks for putting your original question in perspective. Because you did, I feel compelled to respond.

One thing to keep in mind when you’re on the internet, everything you post is out there for anyone in the world, who has an internet connection, to see.

i had a tech person tell me in 1994-95, when i first got on the internet, to never use my real name in email addresses, or screen names, for security reasons. Honest people are going to do nothing with your personal information, but i guarantee that there are also lots of people who would use your personal info for their gain. The more info you give them, the easier you make it for them.

I was off the internet from about 97 to 99, then came back on with a hi-speed cable connection, which i had for about 4 years. Then a couple of years ago chose to move to the country and now have a very slow rural dial-up connection. i just don’t have a need for what the high speed connection offers and am for now happy without it.

So etiquette aside (as Snoopy and others have pointed out, etiquette cant be "enforced" anyway).... there are lots of things to consider when sharing your real name, and other personal info with the entire world.

We can't hide from the dishonest people out there, but there's no since in making thing easy for them.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:37 PM

I don`t know about enforcement, although I do believe that the person(s) that are doing so would curtail the activity if told that it wasn`t an exceptable practice on this site...
Old 11-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Founding Member

If ya'll were numbers instead of alpha characters, I would't know who was who!
Old 11-26-2006, 04:21 PM

Old 11-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Founding Member

B/B, example, if you were a number.... 87457293030 and I was 95878453,
and 06ChevyHHR was 87647387347, Captain Howdy was 4638390574 and so on....I couldent keep up with it!

Quick Reply: User Name vs Real Name