The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

USS New York

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:07 PM

USS New York

Here SHE is, the USS New York

USS New York

It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center.

It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite, LA to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the molds ?on Sept. 9, 2003, "those big rough steelworkers treated it with total ? reverence," recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. "It was a spiritual moment for everybody there."

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the "hair on my neck stood up." ?"It had a big meaning to it for all of us," he said. "They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back."

The ship's motto? "Never Forget"?]
Nice use of the material's IMO. A little more on the story here.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/ussnewyork.asp
Old 01-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Banned

Interesting. It gives me mixed reactions. On one hand it's cool that they are commemorating the event with a ship that is made with remnants of the World Trade Center. But at the same time I don't know how I feel about those remnants traveling around the world destroying other people and places. More than likely it will be used to destroy people and places that had nothing to do with 9/11. That doesn't seem quite right or proper.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:51 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
Originally Posted by captain howdy
Interesting. It gives me mixed reactions. On one hand it's cool that they are commemorating the event with a ship that is made with remnants of the World Trade Center. But at the same time I don't know how I feel about those remnants traveling around the world destroying other people and places. More than likely it will be used to destroy people and places that had nothing to do with 9/11. That doesn't seem quite right or proper.

That will happen as long as there is a Republican in the White House.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by modestohhrclub
That will happen as long as there is a Republican in the White House.
You think Democrats won't go to war?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Banned

It's not a Republican and Democrat thing to me. I'm just kind of befuddled that we would turn our tragedy into others tragedy and claim it as a remembrance. Maybe I'm reading too deep into it. I should just overlook the symbolism like the government probably wants me to do. Or view it from a vengeful eye like they probably do.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:34 PM

Well I'm definately not goin to tell anyone how they should view something like this. I see this as a way to use the remains of a tradgic day and put them to use. This event happened as an attack against the US. This event changed at lot of peoples lives. I think it's a fitting result. I'm sure that the men and women that will serve on her will be proud to do so. This will be a floating memorial for many many years to come. Yes, this ship will probably use it's capability at some point defending this country. And I'm sure it will serve this country with pride. Personally I'm glad we have the weapons we have. I know while I was active duty, I definatly was greatful to have that covering my back.

YMMV
Old 01-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Banned

I wonder what the families of the victims think of it. I wonder if any of them had the same thoughts as me.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I wonder what the families of the victims think of it. I wonder if any of them had the same thoughts as me.
I would think that the families of the victims want us to prevent something like 9/11 from happening again.And there is only one way to do that...
Old 01-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by solman98
Yes, this ship will probably use it's capability at some point defending this country.
Defending this country is just a nice and PC way of saying attack others. If the ship is overseas attacking another country how is it defending our country? We are never truly under attack when the term gets used. If our shores were actually under attack then I could see using the term because it would be true. Such as the case of Pearl Harbor where we were actually defending ourselves. Do you actually think any of the sand countries we like to pick on could launch a full scale attack against the US? I'm not talking about terrorist attacks because no matter how hard we try or the entire globe tries they are not going to go away. Hell most America's worst terrorist attacks came from disgruntled Americans not from other countries.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Banned

No offence to any present or former service men and women on this site. I have the utmost respect for you. That is just my take on the term "defending our country".

Quick Reply: USS New York