The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

USS New York

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 02:47 PM

Fair enough question. But I would rather not fight on our soil if possible. That should make more American's safe.

War is hell and all suffer. But it's has to be done. World Peace is a wonderful concept that will probably never happen.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by solman98
Fair enough question. But I would rather not fight on our soil if possible. That should make more American's safe.
Very true! I would rather stop an attack before it reached our soil. I guess that could be considered defending our country. Maybe I'm looking at the term wrong. I guess I should look at it in a proactive way. It just seems to me most of our recent wars the enemy hasn't actually been that much of a threat in terms of attacking the US through non terrorist or nuclear means.

Originally Posted by solman98
War is hell and all suffer. But it's has to be done. World Peace is a wonderful concept that will probably never happen.
I know. I just have a hard time coming to terms with it. After 30 years you think I would have learned that by now. Sometimes I see America as a big bully pushing around other countries when we should be more concerned with our own country. If we would spend as much time concentrating on our own country as we do the world and other countries maybe America would have a lot less problems and be in a better financial situation.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:33 PM

Well I will keep my on the main topic that is the steel used on the ship. I think a better way to remember both the people killed and the towers themselfs would have been to melt the steel and use it to built the new towers they plan to put there.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:38 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
That little 'political' comment wasn't intended as a call to arms for a debate.

I think this is a good way to honour those who lost their lives in both 9-11 as well as those currently serving.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by modestohhrclub
That little 'political' comment wasn't intended as a call to arms for a debate.

I think this is a good way to honour those who lost their lives in both 9-11 as well as those currently serving.

If you're talking about your previous comment regarding a political party... IT WAS NOT AN ACCURATE OR CORRECT ASSESSMENT. I'm surprised Solman (I think he's the history major) didn't jump on that.

According to history......

WW1.....Woodrow Wilson (Dem)
WW2.....FDR (Dem)
Korea....H. Truman (Dem)
VN.........Kennedy/Johnson (Dem)
Carter... Iran "oopps" (Dem)
Reagan.. a couple of "police actions"(Rep)
Bush Sr. Kuwait (Rep)
Clinton...a couple of opps (Dem)
Bush Jr...the entire middle east (Rep)

I want to point out that I'm not taking sides of, "who did this and who did that", but your statement, if not joking, was incorrect. It's kind of like all the stupid e-mails going around. There is enough REAL problems without making any of them up.

Oh, and I am not affilliated, or have allegiance to either of the 2 political parties.

Solman....

Great job on the article. And I would suggest, this ship will have an important noteworthy assignment, just because of WHAT it is.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Banned

Let's not turn this Democrat and Republican. We've been there and done that. Like Snoopy I don't swear allegiance nor am I affiliated with either party.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Yes...please do not make this a political debate.

My post was ONLY in regard to an INCORRECT comment of history !!!

Oh, and I did that post from memory, so if you wish to research it and do any correction...go ahead.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:50 PM

I'm glad they used 24 tons from the WTC. That means there is a bit less trash on top of the garbage mountain near my house. They dumped plenty of the WTC in the Staten Island Dump.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:09 PM

I am also glad that they were able to use it. Better for all, the people who serve on that ship will be extra proud of knowing the history of the making.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:44 PM

You will have to forgive me if I don't feel compassion for countries who generation after generation breed hate for my country, the greatest country to grace this earth. Anytime another country needs financial support or "humanitarian aid", they run to the good ol' US of A. If she doesn't meet them with open arms, she is scorned. If she provides security she is a bully. It seems as though terrorists have more rights than we do. I served as a United States Marine and I am currently employed as a communications tech for our Navy. I have been privileged enough to board many of our great vessels. They are designed to create hate and discontent when necessary. We are a peaceful nation who was prevoked. Our men and women who serve treat every situation with great care. We lead by example. The example is, if you need a friend, we are there unconditional. If it's an enemy you seek, welcome. Just be warned that all the virgins in the world can't save you from the wrath of " The sleeping giant". God bless each and everyone.

Quick Reply: USS New York