The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Veterinary bills

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by EL_REY
thats just my opinion, i could be wrong
There are no wrong opinions here!

So the question answered for you of, "At what point do you/would you/have you drawn the line of expenses?", is less than $1K.
Snoopy's is much more than mine at his $2400.
My line would be about $1,200. Funny way to measure that I suppose. If my economic level was higher that figure would be more I would think. For me now, it's an affordability thing.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:00 PM

I think its all in how you look at it how much cash do i have for this?
how long will it help the animal in question (save them from pain)?
where your pet lines up in your priority list??( do i pay 2g for surgery for the pooch or make my house payment)

here is a pick of bonnie ! how could you not love all 11 lbs of that!!!LOL

Old 10-14-2006, 11:16 PM

I love my dogs and I spend a small fortune on them. A bit of advice (or warning) to all, though. I have a Boxer and a Mastiff. The Mastiff costs double for everything. If anyone is considering getting a big dog, do the research first. My Rio is 167 pounds and I would not trade her for the world, but man does she drain the bank account.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-14-2006, 11:47 PM

Almost 5 years ago now, our eldest cat got sick with what turned out to be an incurable feline disease.

We did everything we could for her, but after 4 months of medications, trips to the vet, it was finally discovered what was really wrong with her. By the time it was discovered what was wrong with her, she had deteriorated to the point where her quality of life was gone, so we had her put down.

It costs us about $1600 (including cremation).

We now have pet insurance on our eldest cat. We've had to use it twice so far, and it saved us a lot of money.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah Sindy, your right......

Everyone needs to make their own decision. And, you need to determine where you draw the line.

But, El Rey, as I mentioned....we are an empty nest. No bills, no payments. Frankly, the money spent on the dog's medical bill was just extra money....not dedicated to anything (except maybe buying "mama" a piece of jewery). So, it will not be missed. As far as the rest of the family...no problem. My daughter is married to an engineer who makes excellent money and is on a solid career path. At 44 years old he plans on outdoing me in retiring at age 50 (I was fortunate and I planned, and got, mine at 55). The grand childrens college education is paid for. The oldest, who will be 17 in 2 months, will probably get my HHR when she hits 18 and I'll buy something a little more exotic. Bottom line, if the family fell apart, I could still support them. My lifestyle would be a little tighter, but it could be accomodated. Financially speaking, I am very secure. And besides, there is always the stock market.....bless the good ol USA.

As far as having the surgery done....it was a no brainer for us. The dog is 3 years, the Vet (one of the best in the state in this type of surgery) gave us excellent prognoses and assurances. If he said 50-50...that's another thought. But you know, he said 100% (I love professionals that are so good they can boast of the success rate....wish my personal doctor could do that). If it was terminal cancer or would live in pain after the surgery, the decision probably would have been something different.

And as I said, the dog is my buddy. Now, don't misunderstand, we are not those people that dress their dogs in clothes and do all kinds of stupid things and oggle and cuddle. But, he does provide a certain amount of companionship when I'm in the backyard smoking a good cigar and tipping a glass of single batch bourbon.

We made our decision and I respect you for yours.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Oh, here's a picture of him. He was kind of eyeing oldschoolfreak's Bonnie.

Name:  Kauai06 016.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  34.2 KB
Old 10-15-2006, 01:01 AM

Talking Bailey

This is an ironic thread for me also...

Our CHILD, (that's right, we consider him nothing less than a child, 'EL_REY', we do all have our own opinions), our little maltese 'Bailey', just came home from the animal hospital last night after being there since Tuesday night. He was diagnosed with 'ILEUS', which is an intestinal condition that they have HOPEFULLY cured. The cost, $2,400 that we didn't really have right now but will make it work whatever it takes...if your HUMAN child had a curable disease would you put it to sleep?

We are a newlywed couple who do not have children yet, and Bailey is our first CHILD. We love him more than anything and were prepared to spend up to $5,000 on getting him better, we're just glad it was about 1/2 that much!

Name:  3ece9b01.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  104.9 KB
Old 10-15-2006, 03:57 AM

what's that around Bailey's neck?......a pace maker?
Old 10-15-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
There are no wrong opinions here!

So the question answered for you of, "At what point do you/would you/have you drawn the line of expenses?", is less than $1K.
Snoopy's is much more than mine at his $2400.
My line would be about $1,200. Funny way to measure that I suppose. If my economic level was higher that figure would be more I would think. For me now, it's an affordability thing.

yea i would guess if you can afford it, then by all means do it...i guess i could afford it when my dogs had become ill, when something simple could be cured with a few meds, but when its something expensive i dont know...its a heartbreaker and tough to decide esp when my lil baby Nikki(sharpei) was for some reason having massive seizures for whatever reasons(she didnt have rabies or anything) and the vet said it was gonna be X-amount, and damn, i just had to let her go...but yea its tough
Old 10-15-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by hhr213
what's that around Bailey's neck?......a pace maker?

looks ike the "texas key" house arrest monitor

Quick Reply: Veterinary bills