The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

This week is KILLING me!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Be glad you aren't back in Michigan... I think if you hit a pothole you're SOL. Imagine if everyone got reimbursed for damage from potholes, the state would be broke... Oh wait. Even more broke.
There is a county by me that if you show them the put hole they will repair your car. I am sure there are rules that apply but I know people who have got money out of it.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:48 PM

I've never heard of a place in the US that wouldn't cover damage to a tire or wheel when it was a pothole on a public road that caused the damage. Now driving up on the curb and causing the curb to get ground away might be a totally different outcome. However with that said we have an intersection in a old small town where the roads are tight with the sidewalks and buildings and there is that very same situation where the storm drain is right on the corner and the steel framing giving it the strength to the structure points directly to the corner of the sidewalk near the street. No slight curve to go around, just the point like a knife. It sucks! You can see where everyone that had a little bad luck on a given day hit that point and ruined their tire and probably their wheel as well.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by saxrocks2009
There is a county by me that if you show them the put hole they will repair your car. I am sure there are rules that apply but I know people who have got money out of it.
i have been looking up rules on this. In Indy, the pothole has to have been reported beforehand and that ample time for them to fix it has passed for you to get it covered. However, I'm not in Indy and the city will be getting a call from me again tomorrow. And the next day...etc. I also found how to file with the INDOT for it.

I scowled at the corner as my car "limped" home
Old 04-14-2010, 10:34 PM

Michigan DOT has enough escape clauses it's unlikely that they've ever paid for pothole damage.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,...3194--,00.html

I hope Indiana is a bit more forgiving.

<EDIT>

Apparently not.

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=7979711
Old 04-15-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by twistrman
I scowled at the corner as my car "limped" home
GRRR You tell that curb who's boss!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by mongo
Michigan DOT has enough escape clauses it's unlikely that they've ever paid for pothole damage.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,...3194--,00.html

I hope Indiana is a bit more forgiving.

<EDIT>

Apparently not.

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=7979711
yeah, that is what i was mentioning. That is for the City of Indianapolis, which I don't live in. So it would either be my city or INDOT, and we'll see.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:26 AM

update:

So the city called me back this morning and said they would have someone go out and look at it. so that is good. I was smart and decided I would stop by and take some photos before they fix it up...

When i was getting ready to leave a city truck pulled up, so i talked to guy about it. He took a look at the corner (while we were standing there another guy almost hit it) and then called his boss. His boss came out and looked at it, looked at my rim and tire in the trunk and made some calls. Got me the number to call to get some forms to fill out and then it is up to the city's insurance.

So I go to work. My wife calls me since she was out driving a route for Meals on Wheels. Apparently there are 2 big trucks, and like 6 guys there right now fixing it. So good for them. Surprised the city is moving so fast.

Then discount tire called me. What i was afraid of... My tires are STILL on national backorder. I got them right before the supply ran out... So I am going in on Saturday and I am getting a "loner tire" put on since it could be 30-60 days (or more) before i get my replacement. I am going on a road trip next week, so i need something.

My big question for you guys on this, is do you think the City's insurance will deal with just me directly? I did not call my insurance company or plan to claim this. I was just going to do it out of pocket since the tire is around 140 for the tire and the rim is around 400 if i find out on saturday it is more messed up then i thought.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 AM

Should deal with you directly...no reason they should even mention your insurance if you didn't file a claim.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by SmootHHR
Should deal with you directly...no reason they should even mention your insurance if you didn't file a claim.
that would be fantastic.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:45 AM

Sounds good so far. With luck the rim is ok.

Yea, the Cont were on backorder when I tried to get them a little while back. Guy told be maybe June back then. I'm liking the Eagle's at least.

Quick Reply: This week is KILLING me!