The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Weight loss pills???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:14 PM

Weight loss pills???

I've been working out hard 3 days a week and have lost about 10lbs but I'm still wanting more. Problem is I'm gaining muscle now and don't seem to be slimming up anymore, so I was thinking of taking some weight loss pills.

I just don't know much about them.

Opinions?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Deceased

Personally I'd give them a wide berth, back in the 60's through the early 80's, "Diet Pills" were amphetamines AKA Speed, you lost weight because you were so overstimulated that your metabolism accelerated enough to burn through tons of energy.

Modern diet pills are lacking in the punch found "back in the day" but you're still dealing with stimulants. Muscle mass weight gain is to be expected with a work out program, you may need to back off on the work out regimen and concentrate more on your diet.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Personally I'd give them a wide berth, back in the 60's through the early 80's, "Diet Pills" were amphetamines AKA Speed, you lost weight because you were so overstimulated that your metabolism accelerated enough to burn through tons of energy.

Modern diet pills are lacking in the punch found "back in the day" but you're still dealing with stimulants. Muscle mass weight gain is to be expected with a work out program, you may need to back off on the work out regimen and concentrate more on your diet.
I can't really back off my training, because I'm working towards a marathon in June.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:00 PM

Cross-train... ease off the muscle work and increase cardio and endurance training. Burn fat don't build bulk.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Rest In Peace

Ask your DR. Not a web forum!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by American & Proud
Best advise on here. BUT......

make sure the doctor is WELL versed in diet control and activities. Mine is (who happens to be a known "jock doc"), especially because I am diabetic. But most REAL diets come down to a basic premise. Calories in Vs. calories out.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:04 PM

Keep working out. The more muscle you build, the more your muscles burn off your "fat" even when at rest. Eat non cholesterol proteins and just keep doing your thing without stressing it out. Slimming will happen. No I am not a Doc, just full of common sense from being in school wrestling from eons ago without out drugs or even using constipation relief stuff (don't ask-but guys did it to change weight class). Its a shame I still have a large shape, just going in different directions....

Yes, I know what your saying-maybe I should take my own advice.....
Old 04-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Ok. I'll give you a runners perspective on this.( I have been running for about 20 years and have done a couple marathons, but prefer a 10k or less)
First question is your weight:What is it and how much do you want to lose?
Diet pills:forget it. They will only upset your chemical balance while you are training.
If you follow a regemented marathon training schedule, the weight will reduce on it's own.Stick to the schedule and don't cheat on the weekly long runs. The long runs are the key to a successful program.Also diet is a key in marathon training. Find a good plan targeted for runners and stick with it. Most marathon schedules call for training runs on 5-6 days/week with the 7th day for recovery or a light workout.
Lastly,you should consult with your Doctor before starting a program like this.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by American & Proud
X 3 & No magic pills..
Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 PM

Thx all

Quick Reply: Weight loss pills???