The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

What Do You Think of Al Gore's Nobel Peace Prize?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:53 PM

Thumbs up

For what its worth, since gobal warming is usually atributed to the Democratic side, the Bush Admin has finally admitted that global warming is a trend. That it is human-influenced is left up for grabs. So you have acknowledgement of the trend by both parties.

We're not talking about Mars, and if you want to get into a debate about historically accurate data and measurability of change vs. known history etc Mars is a much more difficult example to argue in favor of global warming for obvious reasons.

You can go on calling global warming a myth all you like-- that puts you in the minority even within many of the anti-global warming community because most acknowledge that there is in fact a warming trend, the big debate is the question (as Shaginwgn touched upon) as to whether or not human activity is influencing it.

I happen to believe, after doing my own reading too thank you, that there is a link between greenhouse gas emissions from human activity and the widely acknowledged trend of global warming.

To deny that the trend is happening is to move closer, as more research comes in, to being in the fringe group instead of the mainstream on the issue.

To admit the trend exists is to put you into one of the two mainstream camps: 1. The trend is a natural cycle, or 2. The trend is human influenced. Actually #1 and #2 are not mutually exclusive. One can take the position that it is a natural cycle but that it is being aggravated by human activity not only emissions but activity that is stripping the planet's ability to mitigate the trend.

So choose your camp, my fellow EPA certified Green Vehicle owning friend, are a mainstream trend acknowledger/influence debater, or a fringie trend denier?
Old 10-13-2007, 06:46 PM

You can go on calling global warming a myth all you like-- that puts you in the minority even within many of the anti-global warming community because most acknowledge that there is in fact a warming trend, the big debate is the question (as Shaginwgn touched upon) as to whether or not human activity is influencing it.
I believe in the silent majority. I am not going to say that it 100% not true but the fact is that we don't have enough of a test sample to conclude beyond a reasonable doubt that we are the cause of these changes. There are so many inaccuracy's in the lefts way to "resolve" the global warming issue. The absolute worst thing that you can do for the environment in your transportation choice is to drive a hybrid, but you hear from every one leading the charge to drive one of these earth killing death machines ( i say that because the life span is so short plus the battarys are so freaking toxic its ridiculous and not to mention police and fire do not have to rescue you from the car due to the acid).
Old 10-13-2007, 06:52 PM

I'm not impressed with the Nobel prize. They gave it to our Georgia embarrassment Jimmy Carter who never met a dictator that he didn't like and that murdering bastard Yassar Arifat.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
For what its worth, since gobal warming is usually atributed to the Democratic side, the Bush Admin has finally admitted that global warming is a trend. That it is human-influenced is left up for grabs. So you have acknowledgement of the trend by both parties.

We're not talking about Mars, and if you want to get into a debate about historically accurate data and measurability of change vs. known history etc Mars is a much more difficult example to argue in favor of global warming for obvious reasons.

I happen to believe, after doing my own reading too thank you, that there is a link between greenhouse gas emissions from human activity and the widely acknowledged trend of global warming.

To deny that the trend is happening is to move closer, as more research comes in, to being in the fringe group instead of the mainstream on the issue.

To admit the trend exists is to put you into one of the two mainstream camps: 1. The trend is a natural cycle, or 2. The trend is human influenced. Actually #1 and #2 are not mutually exclusive. One can take the position that it is a natural cycle but that it is being aggravated by human activity not only emissions but activity that is stripping the planet's ability to mitigate the trend.

So choose your camp, my fellow EPA certified Green Vehicle owning friend, are a mainstream trend acknowledger/influence debater, or a fringie trend denier?
Once again you prove my point. Because I don't agree I'm a denier, so you are not willing to admit there is another side. I would argue the majority is silent on this issue, not the vocal minority. Why doesn't Gore and the others want debate? They don't want others to see the other side because they have something to hide, which is the truth. They know they have created the myth of global warming for their own personal gain. I know I will not change anyone mind, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I only encourage people to not believe what they are told by hypocrites like Gore and do their own research.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:41 PM

Why do you insist on making it a political issue? There are thousands of scientists worldwide without a dog in the political fight who have a stance on global warming. When I refer to the issue I refer to the tons of Ph. D's that support the concept of a warming trend. Not Al Gore. Or any other politician... left, right, or centrist. I will agree with you that Gore, Edwards, and some other left wing pols have seized upon the debate in order to use it to their political advantage. That's the main reason I cited in my post above about the Bush admin conceding that a warming trend is apparent, to try and show that both parties have acknowledged it, if anything the fact that both parties have acknowledged it should take some wind out of left leaning pols sails.

I get tired of being called a leftist just because I am in the human influenced global warming camp. True, there are leftists there, but there are also bi-partisans and non-political people as well.

As for a silent majority, that is a contradiction because obviously if they are silent no one can quantify whether or not they qualify as a majority.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:58 PM

One thing is that atleast Al Gore is doing more than talking about Global Warming more than most politicans that believe in global warming.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:11 PM

Most politicians have elections to worry about... I dont think taking up the cause with Gore is a winning gameplan.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Banned

Its sad that you can get the Nobel Peace Prize for spreading propaganda, wasting time, wasting money, and setting our race back. Most environmentalist propaganda is crap and what little is true is blown way out of proportion. The planet is going to die someday people. There is nothing we can do to save it. Driving green vehicles, alternative energy, planting trees, ending deforestation, wearing recycled underwear, or any of that hippie crap isn't going to save us or prolong the inevitable. And I don't want to hear that our children's children crap because it will happen way beyond any generation of your family that you would ever meet or care about. Who's going to get the next Nobel Peace Prize......Michael Moore? So while I may or may not have a more extreme view, you're not alone in thinking it's crap mizzouHHR .
Old 10-13-2007, 09:50 PM

Not a fan of Uncle Albert or any of his ideas/causes...hypocrite to the tenth degree as KingFrog noted

Goose
Old 10-13-2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Why do you insist on making it a political issue? There are thousands of scientists worldwide without a dog in the political fight who have a stance on global warming. When I refer to the issue I refer to the tons of Ph. D's that support the concept of a warming trend. Not Al Gore. Or any other politician... left, right, or centrist. I will agree with you that Gore, Edwards, and some other left wing pols have seized upon the debate in order to use it to their political advantage. That's the main reason I cited in my post above about the Bush admin conceding that a warming trend is apparent, to try and show that both parties have acknowledged it, if anything the fact that both parties have acknowledged it should take some wind out of left leaning pols sails.

I get tired of being called a leftist just because I am in the human influenced global warming camp. True, there are leftists there, but there are also bi-partisans and non-political people as well.

As for a silent majority, that is a contradiction because obviously if they are silent no one can quantify whether or not they qualify as a majority.
I make this a political issue because, IMO it is a political issue and ONLY a political issue, and that is my point. As far as calling you a lefty, I don't think I did that and if I did, I apologize. You are correct that Bush has came out with statements that back man made global warming, and I disagree with him. My beef is the "believers" don't want debate, only to take their word as gospel, and I just don't do that. I want the truth, not propaganda and lies. As for the scientific evidence, there is just as much evidence on the other side that states the opposite. I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree. We each have our own viewpoints and that will not change.

Quick Reply: What Do You Think of Al Gore's Nobel Peace Prize?