The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

What Do You Think of Al Gore's Nobel Peace Prize?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree.
I'll agree on that
Old 10-14-2007, 02:13 AM

How do I say this without stirring up a hornets nest. I guess if you want to say he deserves the award for sticking to his guns then I'll give you that, however I can not say that global warming is something that I believe we as a people are causing, if it is happening at all. There is scientific evidence to back up both sides, yet those who are believers don't want you to know the facts that do not support their side, which is very fishy to me. If we, as a people are causing global warming, why is mars and the moon also warming? Could it be our climate is controlled more by the sun than our SUVs? I think so. If you look back at patterns, the Earth goes through warming and cooling periods frequently, and the weather we are experiencing is nothing that hasn't happened before. Take hurricanes for example. There was a much more active hurricane period during the 20's and 30's than now, yet there wee no Suvs then. We had a very active year in 2005, yet the last two have been very slow, even though the "experts" were predicting "total devastation". Also, recently scientists have said that CFC's and freon are not as harmful as originally thought, so we ditched the old R-12 freon for no reason for the less effective R-135A, at a cost to us the consumer. And is someone going to seriously tell me using hair spray is damaging the O-zone? I don't believe it. I don't think we as a people could damage the earth if we tried. Mother nature is much too powerful for us to have the ability to destroy it. Sure we could destroy ourselves, but the Earth would move on and flourish. It don't think it is delicate and balanced, but rather powerful and diverse. In short, I don't believe global warming is anything but a way for some to raise taxes and limit the free market and capitalism. After all, these same people that are crying global warming were screaming about global cool and the coming ice age just 20 short years ago. What changed? I don't blame people for joining the global warming movement, it's a scary thing to think we are going to destroy the only known inhabitable place we can survive, but I would urge all to research on their own, and not to take the politician's word as gospel. Look at the evidence on BOTH sides, throw in some common sense and make up your own mind. Sorry for the LONG post, but as you can see, I have some very strong feelings on this issue.
I would have to agree. The earths climate changes and as you said it shows that thru records, and the the testing of the ice in both the artic and an artic. Also the tree rings show this.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:33 AM

Basically Minnesota turns into Missouri, and Oregon becomes more like California in terms of weather... I could think of worse things to happen... As long as Lake Tahoe remains unchanged, climate change is ok by me.

What will piss me off is the future crackdown on the destructive methods used in cattle/meat production which will lower the availability of tri-tip sandwiches. They are going to turn us all into vegans.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:43 AM

Silly humans. To think you don't have any effect on your environment. Silly humans.

Climates ungulate, political goals do too, but all politics is wrapped in fear of one sort or another.

But to think we as a species do not have any effect on our environment, is just stupid -head-in-the-sand thinking. Chances are we can do nothing about the larger picture since there are so many of us infesting the world and we will never all agree on anything even though, I would hazard a guess most humans want the same things in life, family, comfort, fornication, the ability to breath, drink, etc. But since humans only agree on baser impulses, the world will not unite around any cause that does not immediately threaten those impulses.

I believe the planet goes through natural cycles and I do believe humans are perhaps aggravating some natural processes while we are here. Don't know that we can undo anything the planet wants to do, but we can , as another poster states, "err on the side of caution" in some of these matters.

Me , I stopped dumping my old oil in the woods some years back. Used to have a dump pit. Filled it in. I figured I wuz bad. I wuz.

Those who make this a political mud slinging thread are myopic. Open you eyes, there is more to life than Hillary/Bush bashing.
Politicians lose their souls in office, and we bare our on silly internet threads. But we are powerless, and they pretend to know what's best for us. But I digress........
Anyway, A tip 'o' the hat to Captain Howdy here,I feel we are Slim Pickins riding the bomb in DR Stangelove. The world will one day die, and for all of us including the planet, it is just a fun or awful ride to the inevitable end.
But I do see nothing wrong with saving some energy and polluting less along the way. I do not attribute that line of reasoning with any politician, just common sense.

A goal I have is to get off the power grid. I hate dependence on utilities and government. Especially when the country is being divided in to warring camps by the politicos. More hostility now with my fellow Americans than I've ever felt in my 47 years.

Since I feel at the mercy of the Federal government and their owners ( Big power, etc ) I want to get independent from the electrical power grid at some point.
Lofty goal, many mixed ways to go about it, and more coming slowly in the future.

Anyway, back to reality, I gotta go to work. Now should I drive my air cooled wicked polluting Corvair, or that other car that we should be all talking about that brought us to this forum?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:28 PM

Harpozep, drive your HHR to work. Its actually more enviro friendly than a Prius or HCH (Honda Civic Hybrid), when the whole picture is examined. By that I refer to the battery issue mentioned in a previous post-- the manufacturing process for those huge batteries is very much not eco-friendly, and the recylce process isn't too fresh and breezy either.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
Silly humans. To think you don't have any effect on your environment. Silly humans.

Climates ungulate, political goals do too, but all politics is wrapped in fear of one sort or another.

But to think we as a species do not have any effect on our environment, is just stupid -head-in-the-sand thinking. Chances are we can do nothing about the larger picture since there are so many of us infesting the world and we will never all agree on anything even though, I would hazard a guess most humans want the same things in life, family, comfort, fornication, the ability to breath, drink, etc. But since humans only agree on baser impulses, the world will not unite around any cause that does not immediately threaten those impulses.

I believe the planet goes through natural cycles and I do believe humans are perhaps aggravating some natural processes while we are here. Don't know that we can undo anything the planet wants to do, but we can , as another poster states, "err on the side of caution" in some of these matters.

Me , I stopped dumping my old oil in the woods some years back. Used to have a dump pit. Filled it in. I figured I wuz bad. I wuz.

Those who make this a political mud slinging thread are myopic. Open you eyes, there is more to life than Hillary/Bush bashing.
Politicians lose their souls in office, and we bare our on silly internet threads. But we are powerless, and they pretend to know what's best for us. But I digress........
Anyway, A tip 'o' the hat to Captain Howdy here,I feel we are Slim Pickins riding the bomb in DR Stangelove. The world will one day die, and for all of us including the planet, it is just a fun or awful ride to the inevitable end.
But I do see nothing wrong with saving some energy and polluting less along the way. I do not attribute that line of reasoning with any politician, just common sense.

A goal I have is to get off the power grid. I hate dependence on utilities and government. Especially when the country is being divided in to warring camps by the politicos. More hostility now with my fellow Americans than I've ever felt in my 47 years.

Since I feel at the mercy of the Federal government and their owners ( Big power, etc ) I want to get independent from the electrical power grid at some point.
Lofty goal, many mixed ways to go about it, and more coming slowly in the future.

Anyway, back to reality, I gotta go to work. Now should I drive my air cooled wicked polluting Corvair, or that other car that we should be all talking about that brought us to this forum?
I didn't say we have NO affect on our environment. Obviously we do. That said, I do not believe we have the power to change the climate of the planet by driving an SUV. We don't have that power. We can not control the climate, therefore we can not change the climate. You can call me silly, stupid or accuse me of having my head in the sand all day, but it doesn't change a thing. When solid scientific evidence comes out to the contrary then I'll consider changing my mind. Until then, it means nothing. And shame on you for dumping your oil in the ground (even though that's where it came from to begin with ). I am very environmentally conscious, and it irritates the hell out of me when I see people throw things out of their car, throw trash on the ground and so on. We all have a responsibility to keep our planet clean, but let's not go overboard altering our lives for the sake of politicians quest to control our lives and take our freedoms. My
Old 10-14-2007, 05:24 PM

I do not believe we have the power to change the climate of the planet by driving an SUV.

Maybe, maybe not. But if said SUV is a guzzler, as quite a few are, then cumulatively all drivers/choosers of guzzlers are doing their part to maintain America's current level of dependency on foreign oil imports, and all the political implications thereof.

I say let's all pull together and each motoring American put fuel efficiency at the top of their priority list when buying their next vehicle. The HHR is an excellent example of downsizing and staying in an SUV (or wagon or whatever our HHR officially is) and making a choice to conserve fuel by intelligent/prudent buying. For example, choosing a Saturn Vue, HHR, Toyota RAV4, Honda Element (fugly but to each their own...), over choosing a trailblazer, tahoe, explorer, durango, expedition, pilot, 4runner...well you get the idea. Instead of doing it for emissions (CO2, etc.) do it for the patriotism of helping lower the USA's foreign oil addiction. We can never stop importing foreign oil anytime soon, but there is little doubt that demand can and would be reduced if people would make more fuel efficient choices.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Banned

There is nothing more American than driving a big ass truck! We're being unpatriotic by not driving them.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:35 PM

Old 10-14-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
There is nothing more American than driving a big ass truck! We're being unpatriotic by not driving them.
No, you're just continuing the status quo and helping keep America's dependence on foreign oil at current levels or potentially beyond.

"Patriotic" is about doing what's best for your country, among other things. Sometimes it requires personal sacrifices or compromises. But plenty of people are too selfish to make a compromise for the common good of their community or nation.

Sometimes it seems that a lot of Americans are much better at self-indulgence than they are at self-sacrifice.

Quick Reply: What Do You Think of Al Gore's Nobel Peace Prize?