The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

What Do You Think of Al Gore's Nobel Peace Prize?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
No, you're just continuing the status quo and helping keep America's dependence on foreign oil at current levels or potentially beyond.

"Patriotic" is about doing what's best for your country, among other things. Sometimes it requires personal sacrifices or compromises. But plenty of people are too selfish to make a compromise for the common good of their community or nation.

Sometimes it seems that a lot of Americans are much better at self-indulgence than they are at self-sacrifice.
Lighten up a little Captain Planet. It was sarcasm. More of a joke than anything. The humor comes in it being sort of true.......That's why the Japanese started making big ass trucks. As far as the foreign dependence on oil thing. That's all hippie political crap too. Lets drain the middle east dry of all their oil. It would be good for America in the long run. Then we could no longer view any of the middle east as a threat because all they'll be left with is sand and we'll still be sitting on our own untapped oil reserves.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:14 PM

Maybe, maybe not. But if said SUV is a guzzler, as quite a few are, then cumulatively all drivers/choosers of guzzlers are doing their part to maintain America's current level of dependency on foreign oil imports, and all the political implications thereof.

I say let's all pull together and each motoring American put fuel efficiency at the top of their priority list when buying their next vehicle. The HHR is an excellent example of downsizing and staying in an SUV (or wagon or whatever our HHR officially is) and making a choice to conserve fuel by intelligent/prudent buying. For example, choosing a Saturn Vue, HHR, Toyota RAV4, Honda Element (fugly but to each their own...), over choosing a trailblazer, tahoe, explorer, durango, expedition, pilot, 4runner...well you get the idea. Instead of doing it for emissions (CO2, etc.) do it for the patriotism of helping lower the USA's foreign oil addiction. We can never stop importing foreign oil anytime soon, but there is little doubt that demand can and would be reduced if people would make more fuel efficient choices.
The problem with that is it's not any of yours, or anyone else's right to tell a person what they can or can't buy with their hard earned money. If you want to lessen our dependence on foreign oil, the way you do that is go after the oil we have in this country. We have the second largest oil find in history sitting in ANWR, and we can't touch it because the Caribou may be offended? We have oil all over the gulf, but we can't touch it because people don't want to see oil rigs off the coast, when in reality they would be far enough off shore no one could see them anyhow. I'm all for telling OPEC screw you we will get our own oil and sit back and watch our price at the pump drop. just my
Old 10-14-2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Lighten up a little Captain Planet. It was sarcasm. More of a joke than anything. The humor comes in it being sort of true.......That's why the Japanese started making big ass trucks. As far as the foreign dependence on oil thing. That's all hippie political crap too. Lets drain the middle east dry of all their oil. It would be good for America in the long run. Then we could no longer view any of the middle east as a threat because all they'll be left with is sand and we'll still be sitting on our own untapped oil reserves.
Actually I like this idea better.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
Actually I like this idea better.

+1

Goose
Old 10-14-2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Lets drain the middle east dry of all their oil. It would be good for America in the long run. Then we could no longer view any of the middle east as a threat because all they'll be left with is sand and we'll still be sitting on our own untapped oil reserves.
There is actually a lot of truth in this. That's why some of the smaller countries are building all of the exotic vacation places for the ultra rich, their oil reserves are quickly running out!!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Banned

I don't think there is much of as an oil shortage as environmentalist and politicians make it seem. Lets say we did use up all of the oil in the ground, there is still non-conventional oil. Its just that the refining process isn't that eco friendly so nobody seems to want to push or mention it. At this point of my life I have realized that it's impossible to have an intelligent discussion with an eco warrior because they have to be the most smug self-righteous group of people on the planet. They buy into every bit of eco propaganda out there so even if you have hard scientific evidence and facts to back up your side they don't listen. Your ideas and truths are never good enough when you're not doing your part to save our planet and our future generations. It's like trying to convince a religious person that there is no God. You can argue until your blue in the face using logic but the person just isn't going to listen based on faith. Same difference.

Last edited by captain howdy; 10-15-2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:39 PM

Captain Planet? I wish I would have thought of that as a forum handle before I picked Lone Ranger.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Banned

Captain Planet? I wish I would have thought of that as a forum handle before I picked Lone Ranger.
That was a joke too my friend. I take it you didn't read the comic or watch the cartoon?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:29 PM

No offense was taken... it sounded like a cool username.