The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

what mp3 player to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:24 AM

what mp3 player to buy?

this will be my first mp3 player so i dont know anything about them

i know most have the ipod but it seems over priced when you compare it to others like the creative labs zen player

also should i get one that will play video im mostly gonna use it in the car so im not sure if the extra cash would be well spent on a video one

opinions please
Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 AM

I have a Zen Vision M. Does MP3, MWA, plus several different formats of video. (everything but quicktime) THis one tested out as good as the iPod, but the screen size and display colors were higher on the Zen.

Battery life and storage size are pretty similar. About 16-18 hours for MP3, 2-4 hours for video. iPod has roughly the same battery life. It's Windows Plays For Sure compatible, so it will work with WMP, Napster, Sony Musicconnect, everything but iTunes.

Price point is about the same. $250-299 for the zen (30 GB). $299 for the iPod (30GB)

I'm more of a Windows person, so I like the Zen. I also like that it's not quite so "exclusive" with online music stores, or with Media Player programs.

as far as playing video, both with do it. But, this is only a (roughly) 4 inch screen on both players. so, not much of a viewing angle.

my 2 c.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:36 AM

If you want to get some idea of what an ipod is like before you buy one, you can download itunes which is the software that the ipods use. It's free and available for windows platform & macs both. If you're only going to use it for audio and don't need to carry more than 240 songs at a time with you, you can get the ipod shuffle which is $70 bucks for aprox. 120 song capacity and $100 for $240 song capacity. Hope this helps. If you want a link I'll post one.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:38 AM

I have the Creative Labs Zen Vision 30g hard drive. Yes it plays video and everything. Got mine at best buy for about 300. I wanted it because of the size that was the best value for the size of it. Nice thing about an MP3 vs IPOD is MP3 can play a wide range of file types. IPOD you are limited as to the type. Wife also has a Creative but with a 40g HD. Both of us like them and would not get an IPOD IMO. There will be others who say IPOD, so it you need to look things over.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:38 AM

yeah i want something thats compatible with alot of the major download sites as well like yahoo
Old 07-25-2006, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by dbarberaz
Nice thing about an MP3 vs IPOD is MP3 can play a wide range of file types.
so i can download from limewire and it should play most files?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by crowbar
so i can download from limewire and it should play most files?
I think most files on limewire are mp3 format but yes you should be able to.
Here are the types and the link to best buy to look at it.

Supports MP3, WMA, MS, PD, DRM and WAV audio formats, plus displays JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, DivX 4 and 5, XviD, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4-SP and WMV9 image formats

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134700863114
Old 07-25-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by crowbar
this will be my first mp3 player so i dont know anything about them

i know most have the ipod but it seems over priced when you compare it to others like the creative labs zen player

also should i get one that will play video im mostly gonna use it in the car so im not sure if the extra cash would be well spent on a video one

opinions please

Crowbar
The night I picked up my HHR I went to the Apple Store and bought my first iPod. My daughter came along to help me pick it out. I got the 30GB Video and with a cable it plugs right into the front of my radio. I love it.

As far as compatibility, if you have a usb port on your computer you can hook it up and it is compatible with any MP3 music. It works great with limewire and iTunes is compatible on both platforms. It is really up to you, but I am very happy with the iPod.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:53 AM

I have the Zen Touch 40 gb and it works great for me. I have my entire CD collection on it and still have plenty of room for more. It sounds great and is compatable with most download sites, it's thicker than the Ipod but I'm happy with it.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:22 AM
jx3

Well, since I run an Imac at home, I didn't even shop around before I got my Ipod. I've had it for nearly 2 years and am very happy with it. For anyone running an Imac, Ipod would be the way to go. The software is already installed and all the updates are sent to you.

Quick Reply: what mp3 player to buy?