The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Whats wrong with AIG?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:52 PM

Already they are asking for more money. on top of their $85 Billion. I know what I would tell them. I already cancelled my AIG aouto policy, and I urge anyone with any kind of money involved to just walk away and let them die. They can let the door hit them in the ass on the way out.

I somehow think, if this had happened during colonial times, the populice would raid the offices, drag out the executives on the street and hang them. They are an insult to the taxpayers, and have already proven exactly why this bailout is a mistake.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Banned

Maybe in France during our colonial times...

Face it, these people are at the top. $440,000 is nothing for a weeklong retreat. If none of them were involved in the loan for the other divisions, I have no problem with a profitable business rewarding its top earners for a job well done.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:39 AM

OK, I stand partially corrected. They are, in fact, referring to the money given to AIG as "loans." There have now been two: $85,000,000,000 the first one, and now and additional $37,800,000,000. That's a grand total of $122,800,000,000. (I didn't abbreviate the numbers because it's just so incredible to see all the commas and zeroes.)

AIG executives now say the retreat was acceptable because "it's standard practice in the industry." I can find no mention of this being a trip for top sales personnel -- only that this was an "executive" retreat.

Breakdown of the money for the retreat: $200,000 for rooms; $150,000 for catered banquets; $7,000 for golf; $23,380 for spa treatments; $1,400 at the hotel salon.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by diskullman
I somehow think, if this had happened during colonial times, the populice would raid the offices, drag out the executives on the street and hang them.
Preferred retribution during those times would be to Tar & Feather them. A very painful demise.

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Maybe in France during our colonial times...
Preferred retribution during those times in France would be cutting their head off with the guillotine. A quick demise.

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
I have no problem with a profitable business rewarding its top earners for a job well done.
This company as a whole has NOT been profittable thus the reason we BAILED them out.

I agree with this for truly profitable companies.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:04 AM

The over-riding reason the government put the money into AIG is that this company is so deeply entrenched in the country as a whole. They insure a massive amount of corporate assets and are heavily involved in virtually all the major corporations. The failure of AIG would have been been absolutely disastrous and would have had a wide reaching and powerful impact and the corporate infrastructure of this country. It literally would have weakened virtually all of our business infrastructure.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by tim_tenn
The over-riding reason the government put the money into AIG is that this company is so deeply entrenched in the country as a whole. They insure a massive amount of corporate assets and are heavily involved in virtually all the major corporations. The failure of AIG would have been been absolutely disastrous and would have had a wide reaching and powerful impact and the corporate infrastructure of this country. It literally would have weakened virtually all of our business infrastructure.

Yes, yes and yes....unfortunately we did needed to bail them out with one hand and with the other hand we had to hold our noses from the stench of doing it......

Goose