The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

What's Your Opinion of the Dixie Chicks Now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 11:29 AM

Dont care for em at all. I think they should all E.A.D. and S.T.F.U !
Old 02-13-2007, 11:45 AM

Back when Desert Storm was going on I was in High School. During our Pep Rally each class does a skit to a song and the crowd is to pick the winner. The seniors happened to do "Proud to be an American" and I'll tell you it took every ounce of strength for me to not get up and walk out. If you notice, these songs come out and then are played heavily around times of war or remembrance (exp. 4th of July). Its almost a sort of cashing in. This is what I'm against.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:47 AM

I dont care what political opinions actors / musicians / comedians are.... what pisses me off is... when I go to a concert, i want to hear songs, music, jokes etc...... I didnt go to a concert to hear their political agenda.... Margaret Cho was the same way... I went to hear her jokes, not for a Bush Bashing... 95% of her show was Anti-Bush, are the so out of it they cant come up with any other material?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:32 PM

I actually like some of their early stuff - haven't listened to anything they've put out lately, though. My pet peeve is when celebrities (of all kinds) use their time in the spotlight to convey their political opinions. IMO, if you're a singer - sing; if you're an actor - act, etc. It's not that I don't think they have a right to free speech, it's just that they do it at such inopportune times, like when they're going down the red carpet, or, in Ms. Maines' case, when she's in another country.
That said, we should all remember the "Grammy curse" - while most Grammy winners put out "good" music, their album sales tank - don't know why that is. IMO, country used to be good, and now it's blurred with pop stuff, etc.
I mean come on, do we really need Tim McGraw rapping?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by JimZ_HHR
what happened to the days when First Lady's had their little pet causes.....
A short thread hijack - What would we call Bill if Hillary gets elected? First ??
Old 02-13-2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by James06
A short thread hijack - What would we call Bill if Hillary gets elected? First ??
I pray it won't happen, but if it does I'll still call him the first lady
Old 02-13-2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Old 02-13-2007, 04:45 PM

Thumbs down

I consider them right up there with Jane Fonda. Tired of hearing so called entertainers get a platform to spew there feelings!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by vasyclone
I consider them right up there with Jane Fonda. Tired of hearing so called entertainers get a platform to spew there feelings!
I agree - too many other great MUSICIANS to spend my money on - like:

Taylor Swift (http://www.pollstar.com/news/viewhot...Artist=Current)

Old 02-13-2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by scaleguy
To voice your opinion is a right of every American, but to use your status as a high profile performer to voice that opinion outside of the country at a time when we had troops in harms way was simply inexcusable. I chose to voice my opinion by never buying their music, or having it played in my home or vehicle...All artists who think that their status as a performer, gives them some right to force feed me their views tend to see the same reaction from me...Simply, I pay you to perform so go sing or dance or act, I'll do my own thinking...
I think you got it right, Scaleguy. If a performer wants to dispell their political views on us, go to a rally or run for office. You are there to entertain me, not push your views on me. I agree that the attack on Toby Keith was unacceptable. The final straw was the release of their first song from their new album "Ain't Ready to Make Nice." My answer to that is when is the next Toby Keith album being released!

Quick Reply: What's Your Opinion of the Dixie Chicks Now?