The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

When I Was In the Military, I Remember When...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 08:17 AM

When I Was In the Military, I Remember When...

Ok. I've never been in the military, but I would figure I would start a thread for all the members who have or currently are in the military. I'm sure y'all have some cool stories to tell. That way you can entertain the rest of us.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:59 AM

I was never in either. Computer geeks dont belong in the military imo, contrary to what the one army commericial says.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:07 AM
jx3

When I applied for the Navy, my test scores were of the charts, but one look at my medical history I was told "DON'T BOTHER". Kind of disappointing due to the family history of serving the country.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:22 AM

where to start, I rember going to NY to watch the ball drop on new years '98/'99. Going to daytona to watch the twin 125s the year earnhardt died. Going to key west for fantasy fest(wow).
Those are just some fond memories. I also got the chance to go to Japan, Germany, England, and Portugal.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:05 AM

The traveling is probably the part I would like about the military. See places where i would probably never be able to see on my own dime. my oldest brother was in the Army. My dad was actually in the Korean War. He was a tank commander in the army. Unfortunately, he died 3 weeks before my 3rd birthday. So I never got to hear any of his war stories or able to share any of his memories, but my brothers and sisters fill me in sometimes. So I get some of his stories in a way.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:21 AM

I have been in the Air Force for 15 years now and back over in the sand box until next month. Don't get much free time to get on-line, but saw this thread and had to respond. As I said, don't get much time, but may be able to check this occasionally. I should be back in the states the 1st of May and home to my family a few days after. This is my second time over here since 9/11--I was in Iraq back at the beginning of the war (built up a bare base with no electricity or running water for almost two months) and spent a few tours in Saudi prior to the Iraq war. I am in air transportation (FedEx, but with tanks and things that go boom) and have volunteered for convoy duty more than once. Threre are plenty of stories to tell both from over here and from all of my travels. I have been stationed in Delaware, Okinawa, California and Arkansas and been TDY (temporary duty to Germany, Saudi, Belgium, Korea, Thailand, Phillipines, Australia, Alaska, Guam, Iraq and Qatar). Feel free to ask away and I will try and get back on here every few days.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:32 AM

I've been in a little over 5 years (have another 5 to do before I can re-up again), I bought into the whole travel idea and it had not played out to my favor yet. I joined the Army from Daytona Beach, FL and hoped to get out of the South. Didn't happen, I went to Ft. Benning, GA for Basic Training, then to Ft. Gordon for AIT (job training - communications), back to Benning for Airborne School, since OCT 01 I've been stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC. I have gotten to visit Kuwait twice en-route to Iraq. Next month I go back to Gordon for re-training into a new comms job. Hopefully the rumors will hold true that I will change stations to either Ft. Carson, CO or Hawaii.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:31 PM

Hight lights were
When they gave away the Panama Canal

Guyana Jones town massacre...

Last edited by hvrod; 04-10-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:53 PM

Sorry, but anyone who has served knows...What happens overseas, stays overseas!

Ng
Old 04-10-2006, 09:48 PM

Well lets see. I am no longer in the Army. Did my 4 and got out. Was in the Army from 89-93. My travel was from Arizona to Ft. Jackson SC. Then to Ft. Gordon GA, Ft. Hood Tx. Then over for the first Gulf War. After that right back to Ft. Hood. Told me if I stayed in I might have my choice of Ft. Hood or Ft. Gordon and back over to the gulf a few times. Said that was enough for me, time to get out.
My hats are off to those of you still in or family in the military . I am behind you all the way.
For those that may not agree with the war oversea's just remember you should always support the troops.
Sorry got on a little soap box there.

Quick Reply: When I Was In the Military, I Remember When...