The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

When I Was In the Military, I Remember When...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:35 AM

Field exercise, helicopter LZ stuff, practicing hot landing zone operations secruity etc...I was sitting next to the LT and he was sitting in the door, we came to the LZ and before we hit the ground I see a movement out of the side of my field of vision and realized that the LT had tossed his ruck and went ou the door, I looked out and he was laying on the ground,face down, we called the mission and landed ASAP. We checked him and found that he was alive, winded, but with no serious injuries...he came out of the door at about thirty feet...See my earlier post on this thread, it was the same guy !!!
Old 06-16-2006, 08:48 AM

Navy 1959-1963 USS Intrepid
Old 06-16-2006, 11:05 AM

Let's see......I was never in although I was the last guy in town to register for the DRAFT. They ended it not too long after.

My dad and all of his brothers fought in WWII. My dad was in the Navy. He got to France a few weeks after D-Day. His ship had a fire and he was burned when the ammo lit up. He then enlisted during the Korean War. He was assigned to an artillery company. His platoon took a direct mortar hit during a battle. He managed to live through that. Between both he was awarded 2 Purple Hearts, Silver Star, and CIB. Although he is gne, I am still proud of the way that he, his brothers, and all the guys back then just stepped right up to the plate and fought. Because of guys like him, we are here enjoying ourselves.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:52 AM

Your father sounds like one helluva soldier, my thanks to his memory. Any idea what unit that he was in in Korea?
Old 06-16-2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by EasyRay
Navy 1959-1963 USS Intrepid
Growing up in NYC I visited the Intrepid in the late 80's as a museum. I was 18 and was my first time aboard a Navy Ship. Opened my eyes and remember the visit like it was yesterday. 2+ years later (1991) I found myself in Parris Island, South Carolina in Marine Corps Boot Camp. 2 years later found myself aboard the USS Belleu Wood as a Marine Helicopter Mechanic somewhere in the Pacific...and the story goes on and on until it ends in 1999.

Ng
Old 06-16-2006, 03:34 PM

To Scaleguy....I can't remember what unit my father was with in Korea. After my mom died, he remarried. When he passed away a few years ago, his wife couldn't find his DDR whatever the hell it is. She seems to have lost all he had including his awards. I wrote to the Army Records Center but they lost his records in a fire in the 1970's at their center in St. Louis. The only things we have been able to locate are photos of him recovering in Okinawa, then Valley Forge. I know he was mustered out at Valley Forge. The thing that hurt the most was the loss of his Purple Heart info. My daughter was eligable for a scholarship, but was denied because of the documentation (none). I have written my US Rep as well as Senator John Kerry's office. Hopefully someone will be able to help us produce all of his papers.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by jx3
When I applied for the Navy, my test scores were of the charts, but one look at my medical history I was told "DON'T BOTHER". Kind of disappointing due to the family history of serving the country.
Similar here, they turned me down because i was allergic to bees. (Of all things to get turned down for) Then for some reason i started getting calls from recruiters saying they could get around that. But by that time I had an accident that left me w/ an artificial knee, the ones who didn't just hang up when I told them that usually said um sorry we cant work around that.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by ng8650
Growing up in NYC I visited the Intrepid in the late 80's as a museum. I was 18 and was my first time aboard a Navy Ship. Opened my eyes and remember the visit like it was yesterday. 2+ years later (1991) I found myself in Parris Island, South Carolina in Marine Corps Boot Camp. 2 years later found myself aboard the USS Belleu Wood as a Marine Helicopter Mechanic somewhere in the Pacific...and the story goes on and on until it ends in 1999.

Ng
I wanted to ship over for six more years and was told I could stay aboard for the first three, but couldn't say what would happen after that. At that time I was already married and the wife wanted me to get out. Joined the Fire Dept. in 1964 and retired after twenty nine years. I have worn two different uniforms for most of my adult life and I am very proud of that.

I am extremely proud of the people who have served and are serving today.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:32 PM

Hey CVROGEGERSHHR,
We might have crossed paths! I served in the U S ARMY from Dec. 69-July 76. After I returned from the Southeast Asian War Games I was sent back to Ft. Eustis, Va. as an instructor at the Chinook school. After that I got out and went into the reserves for a year, and then re-upped and spent the rest of my time at Ft. Campbell Ky. My MOS was 67U2F. I was a flight engineer for most of the time I was on active duty, and had plans of going to warrant officer flight school, but my ears went to crap and so I took a medical retirement. I still miss those big ugly ole Chinooks!! I fly on my Harley and in my HHR now. Sonny Martin
Old 06-19-2006, 08:49 PM

Ok, now for the - When I Was In the Military, I Remember When...

We were in a sever storm attempting to pick up our last bouy when we started hitting the bottom near Sandusky Ohio. it nocked 2 holes in our 180' Bouy Tender. The trip home was not much better with 14' seas.... On Lake Erie thats bad..

Quick Reply: When I Was In the Military, I Remember When...