The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

When I Was In the Military, I Remember When...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 06:29 PM

3 years, nine months, 21 days...All duty in the Strategic Air Command ...(Combat Eval Group)

got an early out when our last site was pulled from S.E.A.

(THAT should REALLY date me !!!)
Old 06-24-2006, 06:37 PM

"When I Was In the Military, I Remember When..."

I was coerced into doing many illegal things...
Old 10-02-2006, 06:35 PM

Another Airborne Day

Here's what i did today at work. Recovered a heavy-drop (hummvee dropped from a C-130) and then made the drop zone was clear for the paratroopers that followed. Here are the videos I shot while doing this.

Heavy-drop

Paratroopers

Nick
Old 10-02-2006, 07:15 PM

I've never served in uniform but I've traveled many miles with them. I met my Air Force husband in St. Louis while he was home on leave, went to Incirlik Turkey to visit where we got married, then honeymooned in Athens Greece. His next assignment was Blytheville Arkansas. After 4 LONGGGGG years, we volunteered for 2 years at Keflavik Iceland. While there, I was able to get in civil service and have been working for the military for 17+ years. In '92 we were transferred to Eglin AFB Florida and have been here ever since. My son is currently in his second year at the Air Force Academy, continuing the family tradition.

And to respond to that comment about no room for computer geeks in the military, I guess you didn't see the story on the History Channel. They said today's video gamers could become tomorrow's UAV pilots. My son used his experience playing Microsoft Flight Simulator to easily master flying gliders. He is majoring in Systems Engineering, a good career move since most modern fighter jets are totally controlled by computers.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:47 PM

I was serving a year in Korea, and I came home on leave. I was not old enough to legally drink here in the states, but I was given a government issued glock with paperwork in hand to take it with me everywhere. (even on airlines) I told a few of the oldtimers in my hometown how I couldn,t even get a drink and they bought me more than I wanted just to say thanks.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:56 PM

Didnt know this thread existed...Great idea...

My best story was when I made SSgt in Korea (Kunsan). They decided that I would get a shot of Soju for each rank. So that equals 5 shots. I got so drunk that when I walked into the bathroom I slipped on all the pee on the floor and busted my butt. Then when my friend came in laughing at me I tried showing him what happend and fell again.

The best part of my job I think is when I deploy. Last time I went over there I was in charge of setting up all the aircrew missions in and out of Afghanistan. The most reconized mission I remember was when a guy in the Army had been shot something like 7 times. I set up the mission to get him back to Germany and later found out that my ability to argue flights in order to get him to Germany ended up by saving his life. Its one of the greater parts of my career.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:05 PM

When i was in Lebanon in 1983, Airforce 2 landed with Defense Secretary Schults on board, the plane was supposed to take off again to spend then nite in Italy, (it was too dangerous to stay at Lebanon airport) the pilot had a broken cabin door latch.... I made a temporary fix to it so he could take off... the pilot told me as payment he would have a Phone call setup to anyone i wanted to talk to back in the States....of course i was going to call my mom... in those days the pilot had to call the Pentagon via radio, then they patched it to a landline to my mom.... conversation goes something like this... "Mrs McNeil, this is the Pentagon calling we have a call from your son .... " after that there was nothing but crying.... she thought they were calling to say i had died or something.... took a long time to explain what was happening and that I was alright.... saying 'over' after each transmission didnt help either.....
Old 11-27-2006, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sonny Martin
Hey CVROGEGERSHHR,
We might have crossed paths! I served in the U S ARMY from Dec. 69-July 76. After I returned from the Southeast Asian War Games I was sent back to Ft. Eustis, Va. as an instructor at the Chinook school. After that I got out and went into the reserves for a year, and then re-upped and spent the rest of my time at Ft. Campbell Ky. My MOS was 67U2F. I was a flight engineer for most of the time I was on active duty, and had plans of going to warrant officer flight school, but my ears went to crap and so I took a medical retirement. I still miss those big ugly ole Chinooks!! I fly on my Harley and in my HHR now. Sonny Martin
Sonny
I was at Eustis in 1971-1972. Left there in May 72 for Germany. Was a 67U20, wound up in a Crane Unit for 2 years, Talk about a ribbing. Anyway, was in the 179th in Carson from June 74 til DEROS'd in Mar 75. BTW do you remember a Jasper Tenney?. Was a n old Hooker he retired CSM in 2001 I think, he's in Florida now, Homosa?