The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Where did your passion for cars start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:07 AM

My Dad used to take me to the track regularly when I was just a little guy (under 5). It was a 5/8 mile paved oval where they ran modifieds (big-block V8 in an open-wheel configuration that initially were old 1930s cars when I was real little). They'd let you get right up to the fence during qualifying and practice, and my clothes would be shaking from the roar of straight exhausts just feet away.

That's part of why my hearing is not perfect now, too, probably... The track was 3-4 miles from home, and you could actually hear them from our house if the windows were open. You could also walk through the pit area after races, and I remember JUMPING when they started one of them up to put it on the trailer. It's funny now, but I almost needed new underwear then at about age 7.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:22 PM

i caught the bug from my dad. dad used to race his 64 1/2 GS 3 speed and his friends 64 GTA, but that was before my time.

when i was real young he had a 69 GS. then he had a 69 mach I that i do actually remember. that was the first car that i really can remember, i had to be about 4 or 5yrs old. i was always helping dad work on his and other peoples cars. holding the light and getting the tools. then physically helping by the time i was 9. then when i got my own car it was just a natural progression.

dad has passed on working on his car over the last few years. but i cant get passed this stage. i dont know if it is that i do not like anyone else doing what i can do or is it that i am just to damn cheap!!
Old 02-10-2015, 03:56 PM
Administrator

I started something in the Radiador Cap thread maybe 843de will move it over here,

Oldblue ..I have owned many rides over the last 52 years, I bought my first car at age 8, have always had one rad cap per car.
I did clean the cap when I did check the coolant level , about once a week

DB/SB ...You've got me beat there. I had my first car at age 11 but it was long gone by the time I could legally drive.

Sleeper...yep you got me beat as well, got my 1st car @ 13, a 1953 Chevy 210 Deluxe, it had a 'spun' rod bearing. So it was not a runner. And the reason Dad allowed me to get it.

Besides by then I had removed the govenor on my Go-Kart & quickly blew the engine on it..

Oldblue...Age 8 bought 1957 Caddy 2 door hard top 87,000 miles $300.00 , my Dad drove it home for my, I washed it, cleaned the interior, steam cleaned the engine bay, waxed it and sold it 2 weeks later for $1,275.00 to a friend of my Uncle Norm.

Sleeper ...Oldblue- That was a great flip... And your mention of 'steam cleaning' sure hit home with me.. I used to steam clean any of Dad's excavating equipment or whatever that we were gonna be re-building..

843de ...Looks like I'm splitting Oldblue and sleeper up the middle, my first vehicular purchase was at age ten.

Hmmm, sleeper, unhooking the governor on a Go-Kart engine and finding out just when Briggs & Stratton's finest would become a fragmentation grenade. That's a right of passage unknown to these past two generations of button pushing gamers.

This is the type of memories I want to open up and dust off, time maybe cheap but it don't come easy or free ad it takes it's toll on us all so lets share those moments in time that define why we do what grandfathers, fathers, brothers uncles and yes grand mothers, moms sisters and anybody that took you to that first car show inspired you to do!!!
Old 02-11-2015, 12:03 AM
Deceased

There we go Oldblue, I moved the posts over from the Rad Cap thread and did a little merging to keep the flow going.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Thanks, now come on let's open up the memory banks and spread the wealth!
I had my grand nephew on my lap the other night and had an old NASCAR event on the old VCR and he is only 4 months old but he did respond to the colours of the cars as they went by and the sounds, so maybe we have another auto-O-Phile in the works!
Old 02-14-2015, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Went back & DELETED my post about rad caps. Since it now (after merging threads) has NO Relevancy.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:42 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by sleeper
Went back & DELETED my post about rad caps. Since it now (after merging threads) has NO Relevancy.
Well now, if you'll indicate which post accidentally got shuffled over, any of our Moderators or yours truly will gladly move it back.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:03 PM

my earliest recollection of any automobiles was when I was about 8 yrs old (in 1960).

a tenant ( Dale and Arlene ) upstairs in our house had a 1953 era MGTD. It was silver and had a big round emblem with a number on the side, from road rallys they used to frequent. It was my 1st ride in a sports car.

A few years later the next tenant ( Marvin Lessen ) had a black 190 SL Mercedes Convt. He kept it so shiny, and immaculate! I rode in that too! (My 92 year old mother continued to receive Christmas cards from him until her passing in Dec 2013).

And the next tenant ( Jimmy Hupert ) had a black 1961 Buick coupe (or convt?) that he kept in impeccable condition.

The whole time I would, in pen and ink, draw, draw and draw pictures of cars... hot rods... futuristic... and old time cars (i.e Model A's) .

Later, as I got older others like my friend's older brothers, a high school classmate, and a local gas station owner would play pivotal roles in keeping that passion going. But the earliest and initial passion was from those mentioned above.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
You've got me beat there. I had my first car at age 11 but it was long gone by the time I could legally drive.
Bought my 1st car at age 15 (with my best friend as a partner). You had to be 17 to drive, but my Dad had been teaching me, an so did my friends Dad teach him. So we both could drive pretty well.

We kept the car hidden though as our parents would never have allowed that. We would drive it on weekends.
Got caught by our parents eventually. Had to sell it back to the previous owner (my cousin).

Paid $25 for a 1959 Chevy in 1967
Old 03-16-2015, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Just a bump to the memory chip!

Quick Reply: Where did your passion for cars start?