The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Where do you get your tree
I chop it down from a local forest or my backyard
0%
I go to a tree farm and chop one down or pick one up
11.63%
I go to a local tree lot and buy one (usually boy scout or some other organization)
11.63%
I go to a big box store (Home Depot or Walmart etc.)
48.84%
I put up a Festivus Pole
27.91%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Where do you get your Christmas/Holiday tree?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:50 AM

Where do you get your Christmas/Holiday tree?

Just thought it would be interesting to see where you folks got your Christmas/Holiday trees from. I added Holiday tree in an attempt to be politically correct.

I should have added a fake tree option but I didn't and I don't know how to edit the poll options, oh well.

Last edited by calgaryhhr; 11-28-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 AM

None of the above. I bought a prelit tree a few years ago after Christmas was over so I could get the big discount.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:21 AM

They are Christmas trees. I have an artificial tree. My wife is highly allergic to the real thing. But that's okay, I hate cleaning up after them anyway.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:38 AM
jx3

We have an artificial tree as well. Good thing we decided to go artificial several years ago, my Xplant docs wouldn't want me to be handling and cleaning up after a real one.
Originally Posted by Firewatcher
They are Christmas trees.
Another one of those Christian myths. HOLIDAY TREES pre-date Christianity. Hard to believe how many Pagan rituals everyone seems to follow and not realize the tradition has Pagan and Druid roots.

The Norse pagans and Celtic Druids revered evergreens as manifestations of deity because they did not "die" from year to year but stayed green and alive when other plants appeared dead and bare. The trees represented everlasting life and hope for the return of spring.
The druids decorated their trees with symbols of prosperity -- a fruitful harvest, coins for wealth and various charms such as those for love or fertility. Scandinavian Pagans are thought to be the first to bring their decorated trees indoors as this provided a warm and welcoming environment for the native fairy folk and tree elementals to join in the festivities. The Saxons, a Germanic pagan tribe, were the first to place lights on the their trees in the form of candles. Ancient Romans decorated their homes with greens at the Festival of Saturnalia, their New Year and exchanged evergreen branches with friends as a sign of good luck.
We have an artificial tree as well. Good thing we decided to go artificial several years ago, my Xplant docs wouldn't want me to be handling and cleaning up after a real one.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Banned

Artificial. Can't see bring a real fire hazard into the house when one can buy a tree that looks as good and even spray it with stuff that smells as good.

Besides who wants to scratch up the roof of their HHR with a real tree?
Old 11-28-2007, 11:07 AM

I'm all about the real trees. To me anything fake is just not worth having. Last year all I did was folded down the rear seats and front seat and tossed two trees in the HHR (one for me and one for mom.) They come wrapped up most of the time so they fit real well, unless you want one bigger than 8 feet tall of course.

This year, I'm going to put down a tarp of some sort to make clean up easier! It was a pain to try to vacuum up all the needles that were left in the car.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:09 AM

I choose I put up a Festivus Pole since I put up a fake tree.

I prefer to not kill a tree just for decoration. Now for the fireplace, another story.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:17 AM

We do a fake tree, with ALL hand made ornaments...!!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:49 AM

When we were putting a tree, it was an artificial one.

Other than a father Christmas doll/figurine we have (which we leave out all year ), we don't decorate.

No sense putting stuff up since it's only the two of us plus the cats - I'm sure our 17 pound cat would enjoy our 7 foot artificial tree

Wife works retail so she's not home much over the holidays and no one comes to visit us anyway, so we don't bother with it anymore.

However, I may get a small tree to put up this year.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:32 PM

I get mine from the basement.

Quick Reply: Where do you get your Christmas/Holiday tree?