The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Windows 7

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:18 AM

Question Windows 7

Windows 7............anybody make the switch yet? I'm thinking about it.

Any feedback from those who are using it?

PLEASE, mac users, this is for opinions from people using Windows 7, or thinking about it, not a place for mac-love and pc-hate! Thanks
Old 11-05-2009, 05:04 AM

Upgraded last week, seems to have fixed what was missing
Old 11-05-2009, 05:25 AM

I've only used Macs " I don't do Windows "
Old 11-05-2009, 06:49 AM

I'm looking at replacing my 8 year old desk top running XP. I was informed that the Photo Shop 6.0 may not work on W7. PS 6.0 cost a big bundle when I bought it. A computer geek told me a way that if I bought a dual core processor and got W7 professional, I can set up a program that will emulate XP and run PS6,0. What a PITA. Bill Gates has a racket creating new operation systems that wont run older versions of software programs.

I have Vista on my lap top, and it isn't a favorite.

I saw a neat commercial with the PC guy and Mac guy, with the PC guy going through all the various versions of Windows operating fixing all the problems of the previous versions of Windows. How apropos..

I can run programs, but I don't have a clue how operating systems work.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:53 AM

As a Windows guy, man, I hope 7 is better. We have two PCs, and I mostly use the older XP machine. I hardly touch the Vista box its for the kids. The thing drives me nuts: "Did you ask to run this program?", "Are you sure you want to do that?" "Did you authorize..."

Apple does have "great" marketing dissing the PC, with the PC and MAC guys.
The latest is almost brutal "This time it will be better...trust me"
Old 11-05-2009, 07:25 AM

Be sure and check compl;iances for all your other third party software and all your device drivers for printers, faxes, etc.. are covered...
If you use something like VPN to get into sites that will require some changes also ...
Old 11-05-2009, 07:38 AM

I have not yes used windows 7, but if you are running Vista I would say Upgrade away. I am a mac guy but do computer stuff for a lot of friends and family and i despise vista. If you have Xp, you can probably hold off if you need to for any reason. I run Xp inside of my max, and I really don't plan on changing that over to windows 7 anytime soon.

Old Lar - If you are on PS6, then you are 6 or 7 versions behind the current version. You can't expect operating systems to support old software forever. It just isn't going to happen. New OSs rewrite the way they work so that they will work better, and if old software doesn't work with it, then out it goes.

If you want to upgrade, I would recommend looking on ebay, you can get software cheaper on there. Mostly it is people selling off their old versions, so it is not illegal (Adobe has pretty harsh protection programs to prevent that). I did this about a year ago and sold off my entire creative suite CS2 for PC on ebay for around $250. A fraction of the cost of what the new ones cost. Most people buy them, and then upgrade to the newest, because it is still cheaper then a brand new full version. If you really want to upgrade to windows7 then check out this option. Plus, if you are on PS6, you are missing SO many newer and great features in photoshop.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 AM

My studio computer has XP and runs perfectly so I'm not planning to mess with it. My laptop came with Vista and was not downgrade-able so I've had it for a while. I just put 7 on this computer and it's hugely better. Everything runs smoother and faster and some of the new features really are nice and make things easier. I can't see a reason not to do it. It was $119 well spent.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:09 AM

I went from XP Pro to Vista Pro and could'nt be happier. I have no reason to upgrade to 7 at this point but I'm sure I will in the future.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:11 AM

They are trying to be more like Mac, which is a good thing! 7 is alot like macs not as good But if you have vista its night and day, I almost prefer it over XP.

Quick Reply: Windows 7