The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

wireless

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 05:12 PM

wireless

i was wondering how many out there use wireless? do any of you think it is unsafe? i've read articles about others getting into your hard drive and doing weird stuff to it! any one have any problems?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:57 PM

As far as I know it's safe but I'm not an IT professional. I'm self-taught but I'll ask my son who's studying Systems Engineering.

I had so many firewalls installed, I had remove one of them because I kept getting knocked off the internet. I just bought a new Linksys router and modem and it's very easy to add security measures to your system. They provide their own software. Be sure to go on the internet and get upgrades. I had problems until I did that.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:19 PM

Add one Paul. Make sure you set your encryption and yore good to go.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:37 PM

If they really want to get into your PC they can. Just don't make it easyfor them to do so.

With that said, To make it harder for someone war boarding in the neigborhood:

1. Logout and put your PC on standby or powered down, when you're not using it.

2. Change your network ID from the default name to something else and disable the broadcast of network ID

3. Enable your network router encryption (do not use the default password)
Use the the highest level of encryption possible (WPA2 for example) Don't use WEP (low tech) if you can help it.

In my hood I can piggyback internet access into two of my neighbors networks - because they haven't set up encryption, and they're broadcasting the network name. DUUUUUUUPE
Old 10-05-2008, 10:31 PM

Grumpee has it covered. One more step is to put a password on your user account on your machine and make sure you don't have file sharing turned on. I use wireless all the time, I hate having my laptop tied down by wires.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 AM

Ya just encrypt the hell out of it. I haven't had any problem and have been using wireless for years.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:53 PM

i'm not the smartest when it comes to computer stuff. how and what do i encrypt to be safe? thanks, paul.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:55 PM

When you go through the setup and installation. Insturtions on the screen will guide you and ask you to set up your pasword and encryption...just follow the instructions Paul
Old 10-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned

Smile

Run a firewall, virus scanner, and a spam filter the same as you should be running on your home computer and all should be good to go. Don't worry about the brain tumors, seizures and skin turning green from wireless as they say they do no long term harm.

Just kidding.
==================
Originally Posted by mrjuma
i was wondering how many out there use wireless? do any of you think it is unsafe? i've read articles about others getting into your hard drive and doing weird stuff to it! any one have any problems?
Old 10-11-2008, 08:56 PM

Meh.

I'm using an old PIII box as a hardware firewall, running Linux.
I also run Linux on all my puters.
When friends pop in, they can use my wireless, but if they look in the 'Network Neighborhood' they'll see others on the cable node, but since I don't have any Samba shares enabled, my boxes are invisible.

Can't crack what ya can't see.

Quick Reply: wireless