Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

06-07 injector failure, TSB vs alternative method of repair research article

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 09:03 PM

06-07 injector failure, TSB vs alternative method of repair research article

This started as repair research into code P1174 “Fuel Trim Cylinder Balance” on my GFs new car, a 2007 HHR LT with 2.4 automatic. It also exhibited a propensity to idle very rough with violent vibrations. I fix things and fix thing right.

TSB 08-06-04-001B is a repair that applies to 06-07 2.4 Ecotecs. It is the manufacturers’ directions for correcting a faulty injector design, but it is not a user serviceable repair. It also only applies to one application of this injector. Other applications are not addressed.

There are places where a check engine light renders the only option for a car is for it to be destroyed if it will not stay fixed. Sucks.

“Oh, there is a TSB, ok, should be easy enough to fix… wait… YOU designed it wrong and now I have to pay you to fix it? Oh, You’re so funny…”

…I have now entered the rabbit hole… with a 5000-lumen flashlight... and some popcorn……

My unanswered question(s):

Can 06-07 2.2 cars also throw P1174 codes?

Do 2.2 suffer injector failure like 2.4?

Can a lasting repair be performed under circumstances that a vehicle cannot be dealer serviced and programmed?

Specifically, if you don’t have the ability to perform the 2.4 TSB without specialized equipment, what are your repair options?

Based on TSB 08-06-04-001B, an injector problem is only identified for repair in 2.4 powered vehicles. Besides the difference in displacement, the 06 (does the 07?) 2.2 does not have variable valve timing, lack of variable cam phasing/timing, related programming, sensors, etc may have the 2.2 PCM not monitor injector balancing. As such the 2.4 PCM notices bad injectors long before a 2.2. I wouldn’t doubt the first hint of a failure is a misfire code and rough engine operation.

There is no direction with regards to issues the 06-07 2.2. I can only postulate that this issue affects 2.2 since I don’t own one and relevant data is murky. Not many posts I researched specifically detail the year and engine option of the car throwing codes P1174, P0171 or other lean (or rich) codes.

I believe that all 06-07 cars are affected. I calculate the injector has only a 9% duty cycle variation between 06-07 2.2 and 2.4 application. There must be people having problems with these now, in all applications, years out of warranty. Replacement of said injectors with same injectors will eventually lead to the same failure result. For reference, looking at old posts, people were experiencing issues with less than a year of service, under 10,000 miles (16,000 click for those of you who are metric).

If you have a 2.4, bend over, pucker up, IF you can even get your car to a dealer or trustable mechanic who can follow the TSB(good luck!). For those with a 2.2 you are stuck, replace bad part with same bad part, rinse and repeat. Imagine you are stuck with the nearest dealer being 3500 miles away. Hopped a 747 to go to the auto store? I have. Been there, done that.

FACTS:

The injector is utilized in both 2006-2007 2.2 and 2.4 applications

The injector has 12 very small holes that are prone to clogging and generating codes as well as rough idle or stalling.

By the time you have a code, it may be too late to use fuel injector cleaner, cleaner is not effective on fully sealed holes.

It has a TSB in the 2.4 application, but not for 2.2 applications.

It was superseded in 2008 with a redesigned injector that flows at a lower rate, with a 4 hole pattern.

The 2.4 TSB direction is to install the 2008 injector in an 06-07 2.4 and have the dealer program your computer to update the flow rate variable, at YOUR expense after warranty has passed.

On a side note, 2009-2011 has yet another injector redesign for flexfuel compatibility with a march higher flowing injector. This injector is a 12 hole pattern, but with larger holes. It is also much more ethanol compliant

Thesis and Goal:

The 06-07 Ecotec injector is faulty design and there has been little data for a general long-term cost-effective repair. While the 2.4 does have the option of a manufacturer sanctioned injector swap, it requires programming.

If I am correct that 2.2 cars have an unaddressed injector issue, if you have a programmer, get and install either the 08 or the 09-11 style injector and change the injector value in the tune. Same can be done with 2.4 cars, as the dealer would do.

If you do not have a programmer, your next best option is the suitable replacement injector of correct flow value for the cars tune. My quest is the need to identify and test theoretical replacements. Not everyone can tune their car to use a different flow rate injector.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:53 PM

I didn't bother reading most of the rant.
The TSB addresses only the 2.4 L. The fix is to install different injectors and firmware. Any problem should have manifested itself thousands of miles ago. The TSB cites the correct part number and explains how to install the firmware. The part number is printed on the injectors.

What part is impossible to accomplish? The computer software is available and subscriptions to TIS2WEB are available to anyone. If you are actually getting a P1174, be advised that "the diagnostic is very sensitive to HO2S design. A non-OEM sensor or incorrect part number may set a false DTC".

Since I only read half I don't know if you ever related you actually had a code or what you have done.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:59 PM
Administrator

More information on P1174

https://www.google.ca/search?q=P1174...&bih=827&dpr=2
Old 12-19-2020, 11:11 PM

I took good time to research and write this. There was no rant.

***I would appreciate responses in kind.***

I have already participated in three other injector substitutions in the last twenty years that have been beneficial to owners of other vehicles, such that a substitute injector was found, tested and proven viable. All three of the previous were the replacement of an injector that is ethanol intolerant with an equivalent "incorrect application" that was close enough to work great. On those subject vehicles, replacing the old injectors would continue to lead to break downs as modern gas rendered the OEM injectors faulty within a year of replacement. I see yet again an injector issue that a simple fix needs developed and my stated goal is I want simple plug and play. Not everyone has or can afford programming.

I have done this before, I am not a rookie.

Also, I asked good questions as to whether 06-07 2.2 cars have this issue. Replacing bad design with bad design is bad and a waste of money. This I already covered.

I have also been acquiring and testing substitute parts for compatibility.
For example, the car, an 07, uses "ACDELCO 2172907 {#12582704, 12606110, 2172291}" a 25.1lb injector stock.
cleaning these while removed and reinstalled had no change of roughness and code P1174 continued.
www.injectorplanet.com/products/denso-1955004670

So I attempted several substitutes (All substitute injectors resulted in smooth operation, showing old were bad, but replacements performed well except for fuel trim and onboard fuel calculation wrong.)

installing 09-11 injector "12613163" yielding a car runs fantastic but super rich. -20 fuel trims with check light on. Info center mileage in mid 30s. real mileage around 27. Too rich for car to compensate. Research indicated 40.3lb injector(wow!)
www.injectorplanet.com/products/denso-1260

installing 08 injector "12602480" yielding a car runs good but lean. +9 fuel trims with check light off. Info center mileage is 22 mpg. real mileage around 25. Lean, but not so much that the car cannot compensate. Research indicated 22.6 lb injector
www.injectorplanet.com/products/denso-0920

I am currently in the following test:
I have utilized an injector sourced from a 06-11 Crown Vic. Had to add an Oring to shim. Data suggested it was a 25.1 injector, but more research also found it to be a 24.7 lb injector, Different sources list different specs under the same part number. Fuel trims hover between +4 to +8, cars mileage calculations seem low, but a full test cycle needs completed to finish evaluation.
injectorplanet.com/products/bosch-0280158089

I have a located another 25.1 lb injector utilized in a different ford product, that I will be acquiring and testing.

p.s. I am not affiliated within anything I linked.

Last edited by Rocket Surgeon!; 12-19-2020 at 11:16 PM. Reason: p.s.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:23 AM
Administrator

I’ve changed injectors in my 2007 LS 2.2 , installed the superseded part, AC Delco 2172907, these are listed as the same for the 2.4. I experienced improvement in fuel mileage, 33.4 MPG on highway trips from Buffalo NY to Orlando FL , no P1174 code .
I believe you have a different problem as I posted there are more threads about that code.
It could be a dirty or damaged MAF or an O2 sensor problem, you might just be barking up the wrong tree. Have you inspected the wire harness to these parts? Are the connections tight and dry?
Old 12-23-2020, 09:41 PM

OldBlue, on your 07, have you verified if real world MPG (ie miles divided by gas pump fill tank to tank) is consistent with the cluster's mileage?

I will clarify that I am a professional mechanic of sorts, and have looked these things over well. MAF has been cleaned and O2 voltage appears to be in the normal range(i do not have a specific spec for it, though). The only issue with the run-ability that remains is the stock injectors are plugged. Car runs like a top on any replacement installed, except for fuel trim compensation for incorrectly sized injectors, and associated rich or lean codes if values are more than maybe 20% off.

The original injectors I removed are 217-2907, I believe. They were 12 hole pattern, were physically clogged, piddled when pulsed(ie uneven spray), they also have that funny oval slot in the side. I will certainly double check tomorrow, I have a work bench full of project... and much research to do.

If you followed the TSB for the 2.4 to select an updated injectors, it indicated to use part number #12602480 or #12625029, depending on which version/source you read (is there a revision of the TSB using the same TSB number?). Both number index to the same master part number and furthermore are the same as utilized in 2008 HHRs, and are a 22.6 lb injector. 22.6 in place of 25.1 results in a 10% compensation of fuel trims which in turn causes a 10% calculation error in the cluster. If things are perfect, it may be below the threshold of the check light which seems to watch for 20% off, so something is off like a weak pump or fuel regulator could cause codes mush more readily.

My goal is to find the closest injector that will give proper fuel trims, meaning, no codes and fairly accurate mile on the cluster to what the real world says. The currently installed injector of 24.7 vs 25.1 of what the PCM expects is only a 2% difference and seems very tolerable and completely drivable. I have identified my only issue is fuel trims at idle are too rich, at speed all seems well. I will fabricate smaller spacers to lower the fuel injectors slightly and see if maybe they are 3/32nds too high as they sit. Maybe the spray pattern hits the feed port only when idling? Easy adjustment, and I test and monitor for leaks.

Thank your the time you take to read and respond. If my results are reliable I will probably write a tutorial.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:43 AM
Administrator

I installed the injectors, enjoyed the ride! Then a few months later my fuel pump died, I replaced the fuel pump and the fuel lines, and enjoyed the ride, a little while later I bought my 2011 2LT with a 2.4, and sold my 2007 with a 2.2.

I still enjoy the ride! As for figuring out real world mileage to what the DIC tells me, I did for a trip or two once to Florida, once to Cape Cod , and oh yes , one to Charleston SC , Thr numbers always worked out to nearly the same as the DIC , so I stopped figuring and enjoyed the ride.

now if your injectors keep clogging up, could it be your fuel or fuel tank is contaminated or the fuel pump sock is off the pump inlet?
Old 12-25-2020, 08:25 PM

oh, sorry, no current clogging ongoing, OEM I pulled are clogged and stay clogged. I have not serviced fuel filter but pressure test was good.

I still need to alter the spacers I used to install the current test injectors, but a fuel mileage check shows:

6.216 gallons pumped to full click off
147.3 miles
cluster says 23.6
math says 147.3/6.216 = 23.697 real mpg.
this includes cold weather, city driving and 80mph travel. While better MPG would be nice, it is not unreasonable.
the accuracy of real vs calculated of 0.4% error show the test subject injector is basically spot on.

I will try alternate spacers and repeat this test.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Let us know your findings, and enjoy the ride!
Old 12-27-2020, 08:37 PM

uh oh! No further changes have been made, but continued monitoring shows...

trip:275.6
cluster economy:24.8
fill in gallons till first click off of pump 10.600
275.6/10.600 = 26.00 actual economy
lots of travel at 70mph with cruise on.
(26-24.8)/26 = 1.2/26 =4.615%
or about a 5% variance on the digital vs real world value This would indicate an injector that flows about 5% LESS than what the PCM (engine computer) expects.
25.1 - 4.615% = 23.9 lbs an hour actual observed flow rate.

I will hazard a guess that using a different pump and in the cold maybe the pump cut out slightly early???

Current injectors are either 24.7 or 25.1 varying between data sources.

Quick Reply: 06-07 injector failure, TSB vs alternative method of repair research article