Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

AC Delco oil filter varies in configuration?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:03 PM

Whoops... something wrong here. No picture. Tried to post in gallery, and then copied code. HELP
Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 PM

Nice!!! That does bring back memories (except for the hood scoop and whats under it, I couldn't afford such things at that age).
Old 08-22-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by working on it
Whoops... something wrong here. No picture. Tried to post in gallery, and then copied code. HELP
It's OK I just looked in your gallery. You have to use the BB image code.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:43 PM

I see you fixed it while I was figuring out how to do the same...at the same time!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HeavenlyHellRaiser
I was told from a young age by my uncle not to use Pennzoil, and have seen first hand a few times myself the problems it causes. I've seen 2 motors completely sludged up, both always run on Pennzoil. From what I've heard the refinery they get their oil from has some kind of wax in it. Apparently Quaker State gives the same results. Don't know if it's true, but both engines I saw were heavily caked in a nasty sludge.
Yes it contains paraffin in the formula.. Says so right on the label, IIRC..
Many swear by it, & have no issues..(although I am not one of them)..
Old 08-23-2011, 07:19 PM

I was told from a young age by my uncle not to use Pennzoil, and have seen first hand a few times myself the problems it causes. I've seen 2 motors completely sludged up, both always run on Pennzoil. From what I've heard the refinery they get their oil from has some kind of wax in it. Apparently Quaker State gives the same results. Don't know if it's true, but both engines I saw were heavily caked in a nasty sludge.
That was the first thing I thought, but couldn't remember QS or PO. I would also add that they probably proudly proclaimed that they put STP in at every oil change. And then a jab at "old habits die hard" Turns out some old habits are just bad habits.:dancingmic key:
Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 PM

Oh I have heard this for years. I can say I have changed more oil in more different cars than 90% of the population. I have seen oils used by some claimed to be poor by others with no ill effects while I have seen good oil gum up. To be honest I don't buy into the urban myths.

The truth is any oil can sludge under the right conditions. Also there can be bad runs of oil from any brand. I have seen this happen.

I even saw two guys who came in for oil changes at the same time get in a fight over the Quaker sludge claims. I am not a Quaker fan but in all the years I have changed it I have never seen any more issues with it than any other oil.

Often many of the oil issues are things people dump into their oil thinking it will do it some good. Slick 50 screwed up a lot of good oils and engines. It was enought the goverment had to step in, Funny how they claimed teflon would bond with the bearings but if the bearings got to the temp that it would bond the engine would have greater issues.

Many other additives may do little harm but they do little good too. If a MFG has a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty and a pint of something would make it live longer and better it would be in the oil.

They use Mobil one in higher priced performance engines for a reason.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:53 AM

Looks like this question was covered pretty good above but I still want to be sure
At the local walmart the book calls for a Ac PF457G
seen other places on the net calling for a PF457GF or a PF458G
What is the difference and what is the correct number I am Assuming it is PF457G?
Also Which filter exactly should I be after the one made in USA(above it says there is an old and a new style USA style) or the one made in Bulgaria?
Here are some pics

Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 PM

Anyone have more input on this. I cannot believe that the same filter can be so different
Old 02-28-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
When I look at these, I see one with a larger opening, but more restrictive flow through the filter. The other has a smaller center, but less filter restriction. Odds are they probably flow close to the same.

dunno......

Quick Reply: AC Delco oil filter varies in configuration?