Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

AC Delco oil filter varies in configuration?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
Looks like this question was covered pretty good above but I still want to be sure
At the local walmart the book calls for a Ac PF457G
seen other places on the net calling for a PF457GF or a PF458G
What is the difference and what is the correct number I am Assuming it is PF457G?
From what I see on the ac delco online site- http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/cat...log_search.php - the PF457G is the filter and the 458G is filter and cap, The PF457GF is a BULK PKG of 12
Also got info from RockAuto.com
Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by wmsburghhr
From what I see on the ac delco online site- http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/cat...log_search.php - the PF457G is the filter and the 458G is filter and cap, The PF457GF is a BULK PKG of 12
Also got info from RockAuto.com

That a boy, wmsburghhr.

Big Jack, by the screen shot images, it appears the one made in Bulgaria is far superior in product quality appearance than the AC made in the U.S. If that is so, it sure provides some serious conflict for "buy American".

But frankly, I think you are using way to many brain cells for this.

Thought I better add...I know BOTH are labeled AC, one made in U.S. and one made in Bulgaria.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:27 PM

And it is really the "Qualities" of the paper that count, not how it looks.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 PM

Snoopy You are right I am using way too many brain cells on this which the older I get the less I seem to have.
I guess it comes from knowing that on my race motors for example the Fram filters are now junk and the Wix or NAPA gold line are about as good as it gets
I am still surprised to see the big difference in the AC filters

Here is a post made earlier :
"The Bulgarian (and USA) made "early" style Hengst manufactured filters are better IMO. The second type American made filters that look like the Frams tend to distort more. I prefer the early Hengst style filters (and I hoard them )"
I am worried about the distortion also as I have seen some other manufacturers filters coming out of the ecotecs looking very distorted.
When I get a chance I will take a look at a Wix or Napa gold also but it sounds like the Hengst manufactured ac delco filter is the way to go
Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 PM

I recently bought an AC oil filter and it did not have a new o-ring, is this the way they come or was mine missing? The Fram filters seem to come with a new o-ring.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by gguy1
I recently bought an AC oil filter and it did not have a new o-ring, is this the way they come or was mine missing? The Fram filters seem to come with a new o-ring.
I have no use for fram filters, they ain't what they used ta be.

I always open the box & make sure an O-ring is included..If it's missing, I tell them. But really isn't necessary to replace the Big O-ring everytime anyhow, unless it is damaged..

I buy mine from Adv auto.. Haven't seen one from there not made in USA..
Old 02-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sleeper
I have no use for fram filters, they ain't what they used ta be.
x497 Totally agree - I won't touch F(ruckin)R(uin)A(ll)M(achinery) after they would not stand behind their air cleaner filter that disinegrated in my Avenger a few years ago.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:46 AM

OK, thanks I will check it out, I really didn't want to use the chinese frams anyway!!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by gguy1
Out of about 10 AC filters that I checked the other day in Walmart
None came with the o Ring
Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 PM

I have used six super tech filters in a row now for changes on my HHR and none came out twisted or distorted when I took them out. Made in the USA and $2.48 locally-hard to beat that.

Quick Reply: AC Delco oil filter varies in configuration?