Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

AC Delco oil filter varies in configuration?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

barfan1-

That's a great price.. I'm gonna stick with the $4.99 AC-Delcos' from Adv auto, since I'm still under powertrain warranty..
Old 02-29-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by barfan1
I have used six super tech filters in a row now for changes on my HHR and none came out twisted or distorted when I took them out. Made in the USA and $2.48 locally-hard to beat that.
Same think I use now.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by working on it
Old habits die hard,you know. I've been changing oil for my family and myself since about 1960 (10 years old), and I agree that things have indeed changed. I've seen (and bought) some vehicles that were sludged up beyond belief. I bought a '75 Chevy-10 pickup (99k mi), a few years back, that the owner said had always been run on Pennzoil 30w (3k mi oil changes). He had a book,started by his dad, that kept track of it for 25 years. I checked the oil...thick on the dipstick. PCV clogged. Vacuum booster lines plugged with sludge/carbon. Even though the engine didn't smoke, I pulled it anyway. The oil pan was completely filled with sludge; only the area around the pickup was liquid. So even though there was "documentation" of adequate? care, the Pennzoil dino had solidified over the years. I wonder if they ever noticed that the truck had gone from 5quart to 1-2 quart oil changes? I rebuilt that whole truck, nothing was good. But back to the subject > I am slowly gaining confidence in synthetics' longevity. I'm extending my street car oil change intervals; and gained more faith in synthetics, having freshened up my race engines and observed NO wear with Royal Purple,even after 2 seasons. I go 7.5k mi on my trucks now with RP. I guess I'll have to trust the technology, and the DIC, and M1 oil, to further extend future OC intervals. Thanks.
wow! intresting story. i guess back then oil wasn't as advanced as it is now. in theory if you change it frequently there shouldn't be sludge. but ya never know. good post!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:17 PM

so from my experience working in the parts department of a dealership, there were 2 versions of the ACDelco filter, 2 different part numbers, that we had, one in a box (from GM wharehouse), and a cheaper one in a bag (from ASCO (I think was the other warehouse)), there were a few differences in the 2, thou they were both ACDelco parts. The ones in the bag were at the service counter (for customer oil changes) and the ones in the box we kept in the warehouse (for customer orders). The dealership mechanics liked the box filters better because the o-ring was a little fatter and stayed in the cap for easier installation, and the filter had more pleats/surface area. just my .02
Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 AM

Bought a few oil filters at my chevy dealer about half the price of walmart