Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Battery mystery

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by geg
More battery power requires a more powerful generator.
The standard HHR generator can be helpless when charging and this will be a problem.
As for the tube, you don't have to worry about it. The task of the tube is very simple - to remove the side gas to the outside environment. This is more a fiction than real security. The battery emits so little gas that you simply won't notice it. Unless you take apart the interior and stick your nose right into the battery vent. But even so, you are unlikely to feel anything.
I've changed my battery twice already, and all these years my pipe has been dangling somewhere at the bottom. I don't even know if it is in place today or has already fallen off and lost.

PS. Yes, buy a new standard battery according to the manufacturer's recommendations. You can give the powerful battery to the seller as a partial payment.
Please be aware the purpose of this vent tube isn't just because the gas emitted from batteries might smell and become unpleasant but because this gas is hydrogen and becomes explosive with as little as 4% saturating the air. In the case of a broken charging system could also produce hydrogen sulfide which is poisonous AND flammable. The placement of the battery being enclosed with little to no air flow means the gas could build up to levels that can become an explosive fire hazard in the event of a spark or flame in the area which is always possible when handling the battery. Any battery in an enclosed area needs ventilation to maintain safety regulations. Most car batteries are under the hood and are therefore already vented so most people have never considered this or have even seen a "vented battery". If you need to access your battery and notice you don't have the vent tube connected just let it air out for a minute to minimize risk and always remove the negative terminal first.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:11 AM

Okay, liability absolved AGAIN. That gets done every time the subject comes up.

I drove air cooled VWs for 15 years and still live.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:29 PM
Administrator

The two 6 volt non vented batteries in my MGB GT didn’t make any funny smelling fumes! And it didn’t blowed up, real good! Neither.

just for entertainment purposes!