Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

best plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 08:33 PM

back in the archives i remember a discussion about autolite spark plugs and it gave test data to show improved performance. what became of that? anyone using autolite? did they go the distance? observations/comments?
Old 10-17-2010, 08:09 AM

THe truth is most plugs are very similar and the material they are made of is the only changes. Most major plugs on the market are all very good.

The gimick plugs like Split Fire and E3 work like the others but for the most are not worth the extra money.

In years past I did find some plugs worked better in some cars? Chrysker worked better on Champion and for some reason the old Civic Hondas needed NGK. It may have been something in the ingnition that was tuned these cars. Most other cars would run on about anything.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 AM

It's been my experience, at least with older GM vehicle, AC-Delco's always worked well. I've had good experience with Champions in small block Chevys as well. I'd probably just stay with the AC's.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by nitro_alltrac
It's been my experience, at least with older GM vehicle, AC-Delco's always worked well. I've had good experience with Champions in small block Chevys as well. I'd probably just stay with the AC's.
GM cars work well with most plugs. GM has always has a fairly good ignition system.

Chrysler years back has issues with the lean burn systems and Champions always seem to work with that system better but even then the system had its own issues.

I also learned years ago on the older Honda's that they tuned to the NGK plugs. We had tried other plugs and the car would run like crap. We put in a fresh set of NGK's into my buddys Honda's and the issues would go away. I am not sure if this applies to the present day Honda's but it did in the 80's and 90's.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:08 PM

I changed my pulgs about a week ago, I did notice a slight gain at first, but on my way back to school the other day is when I noticed the difference. I changed from factory pulgs, to Bosh +2 plugs over the factory ones. The same trip that had been done in that car many a time used to reslult in 28 mpg or so. This last trip resulted in 42.2186 MPG! That just paid the extra price for the plugs. Mind you this was in a 2.4 auto too.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry, I call BS IF you drove the exact same route under the exact same circumstances. Unless of course, your vehicle was running as a piece of $hit, like on 2 or 3 cylinders, previously.

Nobody in all of history has EVER achieved a 50% gain in MPG with just a plug change. It's just not possible. Better check your equation again.

Think about it. Would vehicle manufacturers install one type/brand of spark plug that gets 28 MPG....spend 10's of millions of dollars on research to increase gas mileage 2, 3, 4 MPG....when they could have just as easily changed the plugs to the wondrous Bosch plug.

If that is the case, you better call Chevrolet Engineering and relate your experience. Chevrolet/GM is frantically spending 100's of millions of dollars to meet Obama's 2016 mandated mileage requirements. You just did that by installing those plugs.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Goose2448
I changed my pulgs about a week ago, I did notice a slight gain at first, but on my way back to school the other day is when I noticed the difference. I changed from factory pulgs, to Bosh +2 plugs over the factory ones. The same trip that had been done in that car many a time used to reslult in 28 mpg or so. This last trip resulted in 42.2186 MPG! That just paid the extra price for the plugs. Mind you this was in a 2.4 auto too.
Hate to tell you but the plugs themselves did not give you that kind of MPG. There really are no plugs that will increase MPG or power.

Now the plugs you took out may have had an issue or were worn out. It is kind of like the guy who buys a Holley carb and bolts it on with out rejetting it proplerly and finds his car runs so much better. The truth is the old carb was so bad even a improperly tuned car is better. If he would rejet it the car would run even better.

The big difference in plugs for the most is the material they are made of. Platinum plugs will last longer but cost more. The cheaper plugs are made of less durable metals and work as well just will burn out sooner.

Kind of like the old claims by SplitFire plugs of more power and MPG. The Gov told them to prove it or stop the claims....... They stopped the claims.

Fact is there are no plugs that have the technology to increase MPG 14 MPG. In fact not even 4 MPG.

Bosh is a good plug and should last a good long time. Just give the credit to the condition not the technology.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:41 PM

Goose just got goosed!

I agree with Snoopy and hyper... ain't no way!!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 PM

Yeah I dont believe it either. But the numbers dont lie, 260.7 miles, 6.175 gallons of 93 oct fuel. Now the old numbers were off the car itself, and the new I derived my self. That may be the difference, but that thing aint that far off. Maybe it was the wax job I did before I left? The conditions were similar, not exctly the same but close as always. I also use these in my C20HD and I went from 6-7 in town to 10-12, and 8-10 on the highway to 12-17. That makes a huge difference when you hit the fuel truck. I would love to see some one else give these plugs a shot and post the results.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Goose2448
Yeah I dont believe it either. But the numbers dont lie, 260.7 miles, 6.175 gallons of 93 oct fuel. Now the old numbers were off the car itself, and the new I derived my self. That may be the difference, but that thing aint that far off. Maybe it was the wax job I did before I left? The conditions were similar, not exctly the same but close as always. I also use these in my C20HD and I went from 6-7 in town to 10-12, and 8-10 on the highway to 12-17. That makes a huge difference when you hit the fuel truck. I would love to see some one else give these plugs a shot and post the results.
You had better get a new Calculator.

Plugs will not add MPG unless there was something wrong.

Plugs create spark and go to the path of least resistance nothing more. The ingnition creats the voltage. The placement of the plug in the cylinder is due to the head. Fuel injection controls the amount of fuel.

In no way does a plug control the MPG of power. The only adjustments you can make are in temp range and even then the results or minor.

If these plugs results were as you claim they would be OE on every car in the industry and the MFG would not be using the cylinder shut down on the V8 cars.

I don't think Bosch even makes any silly claims on fuel with their plugs. In fact here is what they say and it is legit.

More platinum in the center electrode with two yttrium-enhanced ground electrodes and a more powerful spark.

If you require smoother acceleration, better gas mileage, and optimum engine performance, Platinum+2 is the spark plug for you. Unlike conventional air gap spark plugs, Platinum+2 uses surface air gap technology. The spark of a Platinum+2 first travels over the surface of the insulator nose and then arcs across the air gap to a ground electrode for a longer spark, without increasing the voltage requirement. Plus, the yttrium alloy ground electrodes help to reduce gap wear and oxidation, extending the service life of the spark plug.

Only Bosch offers this revolutionary firing technology, which combines the advantages of platinum, multiple electrodes and surface air gap technology for optimum engine performance.

What they say is legit but they make no claims of more HP or MPG. The fact is the plug lights off the fuel and the plug just needs to find the past to arch.

Bosch does use the gimick of the 4 pronged plug but that is marketing. Something to get people to spend more money.

Platinums are great and worth the money since they last longer but it does nothing else.

Quick Reply: best plugs