Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

The Best Wash For HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:17 PM

I pretty much always use the local coinbay ... goes quicker and the car gets alot cleaner I find.

Now, detailing, that's another story

I've always used Mother's products on my previous cars (and the wash smells like bubble gum :) ) but I've made the switch to Mequire's. Out of the two, I find Mother's a bit better. Although I've not yet tried them, Auto Glym is said to be quite good and and Zanio is supposedly the best you can buy.

For the interior, a pack of Armour All's quick wipes is always a good thing to have in your glove box for a quick spill wipe.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:36 PM

I love this stuff but it's almost $30.00 a gallon...

Old 08-16-2010, 07:17 PM

As far as interior, I use Tuff Stuff (but then again, I get it from a friend/contact of mine for $2 for the giant spray cans) but I have other friends who use OxyClean, and just about everything else under the sun. Really, all of them perform similarly ... just get something like the Tuff Stuff if not that itself. You'll be surprised how well it works.

One thing you'll find about car guys is we're real particular about what we use, and all of us use different products, and are quite loyal. Honestly, I'm sure any product that is recommended here is A-Okay.

Good luck to ya!
- Jake R.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:37 PM

The best wash is Ice then follow with the Blaster blow dryer for a clean non streaked surface. If you don't have a blaster you need one with an HHR and all the drip spots. THe best investment ever for the HHR.

Polish is Meguires Professional polish all levels, 3M Finesse for dark cars and Adams. I use the Porter Cable orbital 6" buffer to work it in.

Wax is Mothers Gold past 100% carnuba. This seals the polish surface in.

Detailer is Adams. It smells like a French Whore House but it works great even in direct sun on black.

I own two black cars and know how to keep them right. I just took one of the 5 Ames Performance best in class awards at the Pontiac Nationals the largest Pontiac meet in the world The car polished up well and detailed easy in direct hot sun. Not a easy thing to do with black. My SS also is a daily driver and but for a few minor stone dings the finish is like new. Yes it is a daily driver even in the snow.

There is a lot out there that works but this is what I choose to use and it works well on black paint. Polishing black is not a hobby it is a career!

Just be careful as there is 3 times the crap as good out there. Try different waxes and polish and see what works best for your skill level and color. These two things can effect the results if not used properly.

Also use nothing but quality micro fiber towels as they will make it all come together. Use care in choosing the quality.

Again check out the Blaster Blow dryer. They are not cheap but they make my polished paint last 3 times longer and shorten my drying time and drips. I hated to wash my HHR when I got it but now love it. I used the single motor unit first then upgraded to the 8 HP model. It blow a warm dry air on the car and make drying a breeze. [pun intended]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yes the car shines that much. Note over half the car is 25 year old original factory GM paint. So no trick paints here.

The big key to all of this is how to use the products properly and proper detailing. Too often we get all wacked out over what product to use but still fail to use them properly. There are several good detail books and web site instrustions out there. Also it is like metal working it take practice and more practice to learn.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Wow, this whole thread is like advertisements....

I use Meijer brand car wash because it's cheap. For wax, Meguires is good...but I'll try others.
You meant to say you'd try Mother's didn't you?

I've finally ordered and tried some of the Adam's products and I like them. I tried the Detail Spray, Swirl & Haze Remover, Revive Polish and Buttery Wax. They are easy to apply by hand and remove by hand. They give a great shine and reflection and work as advertised.

I've given away my Meguiar's products, have hung on to a couple Mother's products and will see what happens. :)
Old 09-06-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by briand
You meant to say you'd try Mother's didn't you?

I've finally ordered and tried some of the Adam's products and I like them. I tried the Detail Spray, Swirl & Haze Remover, Revive Polish and Buttery Wax. They are easy to apply by hand and remove by hand. They give a great shine and reflection and work as advertised.

I've given away my Meguiar's products, have hung on to a couple Mother's products and will see what happens. :)
I like some of the meguires. The pro line products are their best but are harder to find. They work well.

I started using the show car glaze with the Porter Cable 6" buffer and it has made a differance over the Hand Polish I used from them.

I still like the Mother Gold paste Carnuba wax. It is good stuff.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:44 PM

Hyper, you need to wash your vehicles!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 PM

If you can find it / get it: Car Brite Xtra Duty does an incredible job on interiors, leather or cloth, all plastic, carpet. It does leave a film on the clear plastic so avoid that (or polish with a plastic polish). Griots Garage has great things (www.griotsgarage.com) but they are expensive. Also, I use, Sprayway glass cleaner (available at Costco or Sam's Club) - it works great.

As far as wax...I have tried nearly everything - and to be honest, I miss Rain Dance. I have better results hand waxing with paste after clay bar - ing and then machine polishing... Meguiars, Mothers, they all may good stuff, but I think it subjective to climate, car color, etc. (I hate using Mothers Syn Wax on my car - or Meguairs Gold Class on a dark colored car - they both suck) - back when I was detailing cars and Limousines as a full time job - I used a paint sealant mixed in a mustard bottle with cleaner wax....worked awesome.

Like I said, subjective. But please, take my advice on one thing....stay away from Armor All. It is Satan's spawn...
Old 09-06-2010, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by 3amigos
stay away from Armor All. It is Satan's spawn...
True dat! I use in moderation once in a while....but very moderately. I don't use it in my HHR, but in the truck I do to help protect the dashboard from the sun so it doesn't dry out. I got in a car on the auction lot that was coming up for sale, and I think the guy went through a case of that in it. It was a Malibu Max, and I touched the steering wheel and my hand was sticky!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:07 PM

Going back (way back) to my days doing detailing on the side. I found that Woolite was an excellent car wash. Designed to wash and rinse in cold water. Lifts dirt very well and rinses away without film or residue. Does not contribute to the drying and graying of plastic parts. Doesn't take much in a bucket of clean water. Very simply and very effective.

Quick Reply: The Best Wash For HHR