Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Best wax

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 05:47 PM

Best wax

I tried to find a thread, if there is one, combine them.
What is the best wax you`ve found so far on your HHR.
I used McGuires on my 1LT (Black), no real complaints, but, I`m starting fresh with my new Black S/S and I have yet to get the paint treatment the dealer offers.
I wasn`t too thrilled with the treatment, (done on the 1LT), especially the claims made about bird doo/tree sap protection, because I did get some doo on my hood and it etched right down to the color after the afternoon sun backed it in, before I could get home and wipe it off.
So I`m debating not getting it, $500.00 , and maybe go with McGuires or maybe even the new Ice stuff.
Chime in.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:36 PM

Best wax I ever tried is Zaino ,you can look for a thread here .You won`t be sorry.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:14 PM

i like poor boys, but your not too likely to find that in a store.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:44 PM

Stealth, just to let you know, your dealer salesman probably never told you, that 7 year package of "paint protector" and "interior protector" is supposed to be applied every 6 months at the dealer. If not completely satisfied the first time around ask to stand and watch the detailer apply the Auto Armor or Auto Butler. Just a little helpful hint, and BTW $500 isn't anything compaired to what my dealer charges a whopping $1,500.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:24 PM

The $500 was the price taking in consideration I was trading in a car that had been (semi) treated there. And you`re right, I never got any treatments at the dealers after the initial.
But it also had some sorta rust proofing thing also.
Just wondering, I wax my cars pretty regularly and usually do a quick spray after each bath, just the get any swirl marks.
I`m thinking about Ice though, supposedly it doesn`t leave a white residue on black plastic or rubber parts.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:27 PM

Opinions vary here............Zaino, Zymol, Maguire's, Mother's............whatever works best for your personal taste. Personally, I like the Maguire's plain old cleaner wax. Nice shine, not too bad to work with, and doesn't stick to your teeth. Wait a minute.....wrong taste!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:43 PM

every single person I have ever asked what the "best wax is", they all said the same thing

Zaino Bros.

lengthy application process, amazing results.

My all time fav's have been

Auto Glym
Klaase
McGuires

but the most important thing about applying paint protectant and finish, is the application process, environments, and materials.

I dont know what product I prefer on my DSM HHR...it's been raining since I bought it a month ago
Old 02-02-2008, 09:13 PM

REJEX.

I last put REJEX on the HHR in September and its still beading water aggressively, even after several salty winter road cakings of gunk being washed off and then getting dirty again the next snowfall.

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

Aerospace product.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:41 PM

Call me old fashioned, but I go for the carnauba paste wax, as pure as I can get it, brand not that important. With a good application and buffing, everything else just bounces off. Gotta watch the cracks though, its very white.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:40 AM

a good wash, some clay, and hit it with a good wax of your choice, and your good to go