Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Best wax

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:45 PM

My best friend owns his own detail shop in Rancho Santa Fe (SD) and we maintain some of the most expensive cars in the world. We recently stumbled on to a wax called P21S (100% carnuba) and all of his customers love it. I've used it on RR Phantoms, Maybachs, Ferrari, Maserati....A couple of good sites to get car care info are autopia and autogeek. I do a lot of my research their.

Last edited by KNEZRYD; 04-18-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:53 PM

nothing like andys butter wax and polishes. works great on all colors they have a wax for u.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:56 PM

Depends...

Cleaner is a generic term. Let's say you want to wash your car before claybaring (which is a must by the way). You want to use simple Dawn dishsoap. It'll remove all the wax that is currently on the vehicle. DO NOT use Dawn to wash your HHR on a regular basis...too harsh. Wash, rinse, claybar. After a good claybaring, you might still want to remove fine scratches and swirls. You would then move on to the "cleaner" portion of the process. If you're new to this I highly suggest checking out either the 3M
or Meguire's websites to find the right cleaner and/or polish for your paints condition/needs. Also, if your car is subjected to automatic car washes (I never do but that's me) I would invest in a porter cable orbital polisher. They are fantastic to work with and damn there idiot proof. Oh, and much better results than you can get my hand. Hope this helps!! Sorry there isn't a "one product fits all" out there, but evaluating the cars finish before you start a complete detail is rule number one!!
Anyone wash and claybar there car right after you bought it?? You wouldn't believe the microscopic crap that settles in the paint from tranportation and sitting on the dealers lots. Also do a websearch on car detailing, there are some great how-to sights online. Have fun!!

goatcheez
Old 04-18-2008, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by KNEZRYD
My best friend owns his own detail shop in Rancho Santa Fe (SD) and we maintain some of the most expensive cars in the world. We recently stumbled on to a wax called P21S (100% carnuba) and all of his customers love it. I've used it on RR Phantoms, Maybachs, Ferrari, Maserati....A couple of good sights to get car care info are autopia and autogeek. I do a lot of my research their.
P21S = Good stuff!! When it comes to quality, once you hit a certain brand and or price point it's usually pretty good quality stuff. It then boils down to personal preference. I used Sur-Luster car care products for years (my dad got me hooked on 'em) they were bought-up by a Japanese company who pulled out of the US. Miss the stuff, it was great. But if you do your homework (like asking around at car shows) and try to ignore the Amway, oops, Zaino fanatics you should me happy with the results.

goatcheez
Old 04-18-2008, 11:53 PM

Yeah P21S 100% carnuba is about 50$. I've been using Pinnacle Soverien also which is about 85$ and it really works well on cars with a metallic finish. If you want to spend money do your research first. If you want a good affordable wax, i say go with the synthetic ice. I've used it in the past and was impressed. to each his/her own.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by goatcheez
WAAAAAAAY overrated. Good wash, clay bar, and a PURE carnauba paste wax. I'll put it up against the "40 step process Zaino" any day of the week!! As a matter of fact when I had my GTO I did!! I won EVERY time. I've been detailing cars for 20 years so I'm speaking from experience. NOTHING will give you the depth of shine like a GOOD carnauba paste wax. Not a cleaner wax (clean and prep the paint first), not a synthetic, but a good, white as possible, carnauba paste wax. I went thru the same Zaino (must be some sort of cult) discussions on the GTO site. It does work but too many steps with less than carnauba results. I use One Grand paste wax but, as mentioned in previous posts, any QUALITY paste wax will do. As and as far as cleaners or swirl removers, 3M or Meguires all the way. If you still want to drop the $$$ and waste the time on Zaino...go for it!! Just my opinion of course...

goatcheez

Come on man! You gotta tell us who makes it!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:55 AM

Turtle Wax Carnauba wax is consistently rated as one of the top wax in the world in BLIND tests. It's $5 at most discount stores. Spend your money on good microfiber cloths, and items like a powerball for wheels, a good chamouis, etc. The Mr. Clean unit to De-ionize water is a good investment. Use Johnsons baby shampoo for soap.

The Zaino, Mothers, and other cult members are wasting lots of money.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:04 AM

I like McGuire's Tech wax. Easy to work with and best of all, it does not leave a white residue on black moulding and window trim.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:56 PM

Just a warning, although slightly off topic: I bought some microfibre towels a while back, $14 for a pack of 25 on sale, thought it was a good price. Today I tried the CD test, and they scratch. I was wondering where the fine clearcoat scratches were coming from.
So dont forget to get good towels, cloths and applicators too.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:32 PM

It is obvious that type and brand of wax used is subjective. Seems everyone agrees that you can't beat a good hand wash followed by a clay baring and a waxing.