Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Best wax

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Just a warning, although slightly off topic: I bought some microfibre towels a while back, $14 for a pack of 25 on sale, thought it was a good price. Today I tried the CD test, and they scratch. I was wondering where the fine clearcoat scratches were coming from.
So dont forget to get good towels, cloths and applicators too.
I never use micro-fiber's for that reason. Give me a nice fluffy cotton towel with lots of dense terry on it w/ fabric softener used on it in the washing machine. No swirls on this HHR.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:42 PM

I have a huge selection of waxes. Carnuba waxes are good but for a quick shine I tried the Dupont spray wax and it did a nice job and did help dirt come off easier at the car wash.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:42 PM

One thing I would like to give a try again is Liquid Dimond. It can even be used for the glass. Other than that, I guess I have always been stuck on Turtle Wax. I use the Ice for in between waxes for quick touch up shines.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rob-cyn
I have a huge selection of waxes. Carnuba waxes are good but for a quick shine I tried the Dupont spray wax and it did a nice job and did help dirt come off easier at the car wash.
Are you speaking of the Dupont Teflon Spray Wax ??? If so, it does give some nice protection for bugs, etc. But I found it to be short lived. Need to reapply it frequently to retain the protection.

Also, it may be discontinued. I saw several cases of it in one of the super discount stores, Big Lots. They were selling it for $2.00/bottle.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Banned

The "prob;em" with Carnuba wax is the melting point (and application). I would A car's surface can easily get to 180 degrees in the Summer. The best thing about Zaino is you can do it once a year and not worry about it melting away,

This shine will last a lot longer then any wax. Goes on and comes off a lot quicker than carnuba. Only three coats applied different days. 2 step process

Old 05-04-2008, 02:37 PM

Oh my gosh Kingfrog!

1. You did it different days - what kind of re-wash did you do on the second day?

2. How long did it take you to wax your HHR?

3. Where do people get their claybars? Any suggestions for claybar technique?

4. How are peope's front facia holding up? Does wax really help protect the paint there?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:06 PM

One more time...

Clay bar is a must. All the good quality name brands have one out now. I'd stick with Meguires, Mothers, Eagle One, etc. Follow the directions on the packaging and you'll be fine. DO NOT drop it on the ground/garage floor. If you do it's toast. It'll look fine, but it just picked up all the fine particles you're trying to get out of your paint. By continuing to use it you're just rubbing back in. Worst case, you get something larger stuck on the bar and surface scratch the rest of your car. DON'T risk it.
Okay, Zaino people, we all know that you think that nothing is superior to your favorite product. It's really personal preference. Yes, carnauba has a lower melting point. But I will continue to argue that NOTHING gives you the dept of shine than properly prepared paint and a couple of coats of a good quality (as good as you can afford) carnauba wax. If your car is in the sun ALOT and you are in a warm climate than maybe carnauba might me an issue. If you are in the midwest like me, it is rarely an issue. Again, I've done the side-by-side comparison and I win everytime. Zaino is a good product without question, but is it the "end all" of shiny-ness?? I don't think so. I've always questioned why more professional detailers (high end guys especially) don't use and swear by Zaino. Because they know that preparation is the key and quality products are a must. Zaino vs Zymol...Tropicare vs One Grand (my favorite)...Ice vs Meguire's. I could go on and on. Do the proper preparation and stick with something you like and you will be more than happy with the results. Good luck!

goatcheez
Old 02-18-2009, 09:36 PM

Personally, I always loved the Dupont with Teflon, but not the spray. It shines up really nice, and it lasts a long time for me, which is good with all the washings I do. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued...go figure!
Old 02-18-2009, 10:29 PM

wax & polish

Has anybody heard of a brand called "FLITZ".It's made in Germany and hear in the U.S..We sell it at my work. They have a wax that works unbelivable, it will last six months. If you dont wash your car with soap and tell you not to use soap. Just rince it off. When rinse your car off, the water and rain just beads like crazy.I've used their polish on my rims last August and still haven't had to polish them since.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Uma

Ok, I am not a professional, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last nite! Here is the deal according to me. As Goatcheez said, Clay bar is a must. NO wax lasts more than a couple months if you use any kind of soap on your car. I do not, I live in the Socal, so I dust and spray detail my car daily. I have used Zaino, Zymol, Mothers, Meguiers, all the "Tech Waxes" etc, etc, and guess what?! They all work, if you do it often. I prefer straight up carnauba wax, no it does not last long, but how many people on this thread only wax their car every 3 or 6 months? And carnauba gives the best shine..hands down. I wax twice monthly. Todd (Uma)