Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Cabin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:39 PM

i always go to a auto parts store and NEVER the dealer. i can't even remember the last time i bought parts from a dealer.
the air cabin filter is a simple procedure and it gets that bad smell out of your air ducts. or at least it did for me.
i think i paid 7.00 to 8.00 for my cabin air filter. installed it in about 2 minutes.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:35 PM

thanks, this was major help. I could hear the air like there was a blockage but didnt know how to access the filer. Took the filter out and cleaned it up major improvement. I will replace the filter this week.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:11 AM

well, my appointment for the ignition switch recall finally was yesterday. took 8 weeks for them to get the part, 6 weeks to get the first available appointment to get it done. so of course while they had the hhr they checked it over and low and behold they called me and said all they found wrong was it needed the cabin air filter replaced. then they quoted me $59, i said no thank you. so tomorrow it will be off to purchase one and try to install it myself-it sounds really easy so i'll give it a whirl. hopefully this senior citizen female can do it herself-i have faith after reading all of these posts. and who doesn't like to save money? i'll let you guys know how i did tomorrow. all i know is this, step 1 empty the glovebox or it will empty itself for you, lol
Old 09-12-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by bigdoglover
well, my appointment for the ignition switch recall finally was yesterday. took 8 weeks for them to get the part, 6 weeks to get the first available appointment to get it done. so of course while they had the hhr they checked it over and low and behold they called me and said all they found wrong was it needed the cabin air filter replaced. then they quoted me $59, i said no thank you. so tomorrow it will be off to purchase one and try to install it myself-it sounds really easy so i'll give it a whirl. hopefully this senior citizen female can do it herself-i have faith after reading all of these posts. and who doesn't like to save money? i'll let you guys know how i did tomorrow. all i know is this, step 1 empty the glovebox or it will empty itself for you, lol

We truly appreciate your patience while waiting for parts for the recall, bigdoglover. I understand that the dealership advised that your cabin air filter needs to be replaced and that you plan on doing this yourself. If you have further questions or concerns feel free to private message us. We will be happy to help.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-05-2014, 10:34 AM
APD

Our dealer has always handled the service on our HHR since 2007. They've never mentioned the cabin filter once.
I found out about it here and changed it myself about 6 months ago (after it began to smell) and it was very dirty.
Next project will be to clean/spray the ductwork to try and kill that dead dog smell from the AC!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by APD
Our dealer has always handled the service on our HHR since 2007. They've never mentioned the cabin filter once.
I found out about it here and changed it myself about 6 months ago (after it began to smell) and it was very dirty.
Next project will be to clean/spray the ductwork to try and kill that dead dog smell from the AC!
Did you ever look at your Owners Manual? There are a couple of pages about that.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:11 PM
APD

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by donbrew
Did you ever look at your Owners Manual? There are a couple of pages about that.
It was my wife's commuter before we retired. I never raised the hood or pay any attention to it other than getting the tires replaced. That was why we always had it serviced by the dealer. Brakes, shocks, everything but tires for 100K.
It's been so trouble free that once we retired we decided to keep it.

So, yeah, I'm reading the manual now.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Good deal, cause we have a quiz on it on Monday.