Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Caliper Slide Pins

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 03:39 PM

Exclamation Caliper Slide Pins

I have searched and searched with no real success to this agonizing question:

Which front brake caliper slide pin goes to the top and bottom? They are interchangeable. One has a small rubber bushing on the end, the other does not. I have found answers on other makes of cars, but it does no good to me if their caliper is on the rearward side of the knuckle vs. the forward side.

My '07 HHR has the calipers on the front side of the knuckle, while other make/models are on the rear side, so just saying the rubber bushed pin goes on top is not logical.

I am pretty sure I put mine in the way they came out, but after a friend posed this question to me, I am going crazy to find out the truth.

Also, what is wrong with the over the counter grease for lubing the pins? Is it really neccessary to by the OEM lube from the dealer?

Can anyone help here?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MichiganMarty
I have searched and searched with no real success to this agonizing question:

Which front brake caliper slide pin goes to the top and bottom? They are interchangeable. One has a small rubber bushing on the end, the other does not. I have found answers on other makes of cars, but it does no good to me if their caliper is on the rearward side of the knuckle vs. the forward side.

My '07 HHR has the calipers on the front side of the knuckle, while other make/models are on the rear side, so just saying the rubber bushed pin goes on top is not logical.

I am pretty sure I put mine in the way they came out, but after a friend posed this question to me, I am going crazy to find out the truth.

Also, what is wrong with the over the counter grease for lubing the pins? Is it really neccessary to by the OEM lube from the dealer?

Can anyone help here?
This might seem crazy, but when i lubed up my sliders i think they were identical. anyhow the over the counter grease is plenty good...dont waste your time at a stealership
Old 09-05-2012, 04:11 PM

The only thing you need for lube is high temp and you will be fine. Few people use OEM lube. GM Just recomends what they know meets their spec.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Marty-

All HHRs' have the front calipers in Front of the knuckle..
Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 PM

I just did my brake hardware on my panel. The pin with the rubber tip was on the bottom. Any high temp grease should do the job.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:32 AM

Im about to do mine for the first time, how much do you put on? Any other tips?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

just a thin coating - I usually put a dab on, and swirl it through my fingers to spread a light film along the length of the pin.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Agree with whopper..

& I would only add, I clean the old grease off first..
Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Aye aye - and a shot of brake cleaner helps to remove that old grease, along with a few swipes with a Scotch pad to get the crusty stuff off. :)
Old 09-08-2012, 09:24 PM

either
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...per_Lube_1.htm

or
http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...ne_Formula.htm

are fine

Quick Reply: Caliper Slide Pins