Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

can a K&N Filter void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM

can a K&N Filter void warranty?

So here is the latest........since the GM tune about a month ago I was experiencing inconsistent boost levels(still am) so I took it back to the dealer where I had the install done. Twice they thought they fixed it and I would bring it back the next day with the same issue. Today when they called me, it's been there since Friday, I was told that the Tech said that my drop in K&N filter may be causing a problem with the mass air flow sensor, he noticed what he said was a lot of oil residue. So I was then told that because this is an aftermarket modification that it would void my warranty and I would be billed for the new sensor and air filter to the tune of $270. I said to hell with it and went and picked it up. The car is still acting up boost was dead when I got home, no codes, no patience left. I need some help on finding somewhere to take it, preferebly a dealer that has done a kit install. I think this is a f***in joke, whats next because I put premium gas in will that void my warranty as well?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:37 PM

Don't have any answers to your problem unfortunately. Really thought it was odd how they're saying it is your K&N causing problems and the ad at the bottom of the page must pickup keywords (or just coincidence) because it is a K&N ad right now.

None the less, just wanted to say hey, saw you're in Flint. I grew up in Davison and lived there for 20 or so years.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Someone posted a response to that "problem" from the K&N people. They claim the oil residue on the throttle plate is not from them and will fight/argue that issue with the dealer. You might want to search for it.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:12 AM

K & N's website has a rsponse to claims of oil contamination. I'd post the link but I'm on my PDA.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by twistrman
Don't have any answers to your problem unfortunately. Really thought it was odd how they're saying it is your K&N causing problems and the ad at the bottom of the page must pickup keywords (or just coincidence) because it is a K&N ad right now.

None the less, just wanted to say hey, saw you're in Flint. I grew up in Davison and lived there for 20 or so years.
I went to High school in Ortonville and Holly...
Old 02-05-2009, 03:15 AM

I remember not long ago you were told to lightly coat these after market air filters with oil to help trap dust. After a while, oil would collect on the MAF sensor causing problems. I assume your dealer is thinking your air filter is this type. Do you oil your air filter?

You could try putting your stock air filter system back on and see if that corrects the problem.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:48 AM

It is possible that your K&N was overoilded originally. Unlikely, but possible. It can not avoid your warranty. If the MAF is oily, then it can be cleaned with an electronic parts cleaner spray. Some dealerships really like to point the finger at this. I've ran K&N's for decades. Never and issue. If they think this is the issue, pick up a can of cleaner, most parts stores carry it. Take the MAF out, spray it down, let it dry and put it back in. The stuff drys quick. Then take it to Advance or some place and have the read and clear any codes that may be there. See if that helps. Probably quicker that dealing with the dealership anyway and would only cost you time and about $5 for the cleaner. Which you will still have 95% of.....
Old 02-05-2009, 11:36 AM

Here is my earlier post/thread. There are two sides to the story, but IMHO you should be fine with a K&N.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...539#post349539
Old 02-05-2009, 12:23 PM

This bubbled to the surface on LS1 equipped cars sometime in 2004, IIRC. GM issued a bulletin noting that excess oil from oiled cotton filters could collect on the MAF sensor and degrade the quality of the readings. Moreover, bad MAF data could affect shift points and / or line pressure on 4L6xx electronically controlled transmissions, possibly precipitating premature failure. As a general rule, GM doesn't "void" anyone's entire warranty, but can and will use such modifications to deny coverage for specific issues. I would not expect a freindly resolution of running problems or auto trans issues if the SM sees a big oily KN filter on there.

KN claims that the factory oil charge poses no problem, but zealous users often tend to over oil the filters after cleaning. It should be noted that filtration efficiency of oiled cotton filters increases as dirt accumulates. Cleaning before 50,000 miles will actually let more dirt through than simply leaving them alone. Of course, try telling that to someone who flosses his valve stems nightly.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:29 PM

Ya, if there's oil on the MAF sensor, clean it, don't replace it, it's just oil. If that doesn't help, it's not your problem. Pretty straight forward.
Why are dealers so quick to cry "voided warranty"? All they have to do is put a claim into GM and they get their money. If my dealer ever tells me that an air filter has voided my warranty, guess where I'm buying my next car? NOT THERE! There's thousands of other dealers that would love my money in the future. Bye bye crappy dealership.
They want to blame it on aftermarket stuff because they are to lazy or incompetent to figure out what is wrong. If it really was oil on the MAF, why wouldn't they try cleaning it off for you? Is it that hard? Sorry, I'm just sick of hearing stories like this, dealerships turning $10,000 warranties into empty promises.

Quick Reply: can a K&N Filter void warranty?