Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

can a K&N Filter void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:36 PM

it can void your warranty and has been done before. put your stock filter back in and clean the maf sensor, if that fixes it buy an AEM dryflow and dont go back to the dealer
Old 02-06-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by cmiller8006
it can void your warranty and has been done before. put your stock filter back in and clean the maf sensor, if that fixes it buy an AEM dryflow and dont go back to the dealer
...although K&N clearly states that using their filters will not affect your manufacturer's warranty. I bet they don't want to get caught as liars, so I would try getting them to deal with the dealership if you continue to encounter resistance...what a pain though.

I have a brand new 09 LT and dropped in a K&N within the first week, so stop freakin' me out!

Last edited by djnixtre; 02-06-2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 02-06-2009, 04:15 PM

with a turbo sucking all the extra air is why it can hurt the motor, with a lt you will be fine, i put a drop in filter from k an n in my cobalt and had a few problems, quickly went and bought a shortram intake from Dejon and a AEM dryflow will never go back.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:39 PM

Went and bought some MAF cleaner today. Guess I need to buy a new filter as well. Threw a code today after boost cut-out this morning, P0101 same code as last time. After cleaning it seemed to work okay had no cut-out but still have inconsistent boost levels. Sometimes it hits stage boost and other times just stock levels. Is it normal to have my vac running 20-22 inHg? I thought reading a post somewhere that 16-18inHg was normal.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:43 PM

normal..on any car
Old 02-07-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by T-Rodius
Went and bought some MAF cleaner today. Guess I need to buy a new filter as well. Threw a code today after boost cut-out this morning, P0101 same code as last time. After cleaning it seemed to work okay had no cut-out but still have inconsistent boost levels. Sometimes it hits stage boost and other times just stock levels. Is it normal to have my vac running 20-22 inHg? I thought reading a post somewhere that 16-18inHg was normal.
did you put the stock filter back in, because if you did and had the same problem, you might have a different issue. put the stock back in and take it to a different dealer.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:36 AM

don't have the stock filter anymore........need to go buy one. Then we'll see if it's still actin up
Old 02-11-2009, 09:00 PM

Just installed a new K&N air filter in my SS. I have a bit over 20,000 miles, and have never had an error code show up, so this will be a good test. our BMW and truck have been fine for several years with K&N's.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:20 AM

Putting the filter in does not void the warranty. But what the dealer tried to do is that if the filter in their view has caused a failure of a stock part that voids the warranty on the failed stock part.

The car companies are just covering their butts since people do not oil the filters properly. I have used KNN's for years with no issues.

Now the truth on the KNN is unless it is their cold air intake system the filter gains are small with a stock drop in filter. You do get the advantage of cleaning it vs replacment but the gains are small.

The bottom line is KNN is a quality filter if used correctly but your air intake system most times is where the restrictions are.

The restrictions are mostly form sound killing dampers that kill air flow. Other wise the average driver would complain about the intake noise. The auto MFG do not make less restrictive systems like KNN because they often would not pass the drive by noise regs from the goverment.

I sell these systems and every now and then we get the guy with the Tahoe that is looking for more MPG buy one. He then calls back and complains about noise. We get the same thing on some Flowmaster systems. People that are not performance people buy them then compain about noise.

As for the problem here as they stated just clean it and put it back in. THat 90% fixes the problem.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:23 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by hyperv6
People that are not performance people buy them then compain about noise.
I would tell you what that is, but apparently it might offend 10% of people.

Last edited by djnixtre; 02-13-2009 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: can a K&N Filter void warranty?