Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Can't pinpoint what sounds like a bearing issue!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 01:39 PM

Question Can't pinpoint what sounds like a bearing issue!

Hey guys, longtime member but absent for years.
I have an issue. 2008 HHR LS. I have had a "mud tire" noise over the past year that has gotten progressively worse. It sounds JUST LIKE a bad bearing. I'm usually very good at pinpointing which one is bad. It would sound worse on fast left swerve, go quiet on right swerves. Must be passenger side, definitely front. Had new bearing put on few months ago, no change. Noise much worse now. Recently bought new set of tires, figured maybe the old shop accidentally put new bearing on driver side, so I bought a new bearing for the tire shop to slap on, still no change. This is driving me NUTS! I really don't think there's a chance in hell that it's the driver side bearing. Is there any way possible that a CV shaft could make a similar noise? Tire shop says no. Should I replace CV shaft first or go right to new bearing on driver side? Thanks guys!
Old 01-20-2023, 03:27 PM
Administrator

I’m thinking the driver side bearing is failing, make sure they don’t use an air impact gun on the axle nut, and that they torque the bearing bolts correctly 85 ft lbs for the 3 mounting bolts and 155 ft lbs for the axle nut. A new one should be used not the old one.
CV axles usually click when turning as the start to fail.

I always recommend replacing both hub bearings at the same time as they like to fail in pairs.
but that’s just me.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:45 PM

What else makes noise while rolling? Can we assume that you have checked the pad wear indicators.
It is a very good idea to change bearings in pairs.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:29 PM

Sounds can travel through everything that connects it together and is similar to a leaky roof. It may be the problem is not where the leak is.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I’m thinking the driver side bearing is failing, make sure they don’t use an air impact gun on the axle nut, and that they torque the bearing bolts correctly 85 ft lbs for the 3 mounting bolts and 155 ft lbs for the axle nut. A new one should be used not the old one.
CV axles usually click when turning as the start to fail.

I always recommend replacing both hub bearings at the same time as they like to fail in pairs.
but that’s just me.
When I was explaining situation to the tire shop manager, he said that maybe the old shop used an impact instead of torque wrench so I'm assuming he makes his guys follow torque specs. They are a very reputable shop.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
What else makes noise while rolling? Can we assume that you have checked the pad wear indicators.
It is a very good idea to change bearings in pairs.
I have put new brakes on since the bearing noise began, no change at all in sound.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by greg8453
Sounds can travel through everything that connects it together and is similar to a leaky roof. It may be the problem is not where the leak is.
Maybe I should just try the driver side then.
I've been super paranoid that it's a bearing in the transmission that the CV shaft connects to.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:35 PM

Axles are fairly cheap, why worry about the transmission? I have only heard of one output bearing being replaced.
Labor to replace both is 1.6 hours (includes 15 minutes to get it on a lift and remove the tires), the last rebuilt axles I got were about $60 each. Easy to do in the driveway.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Have the shop double check the torque on the passenger side fasteners . Replace the driver side hub and then if the noise goes away you’re good.
cv axles are rarely the noise you describe
Old 01-22-2023, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by MJR1970
Maybe I should just try the driver side then.
I've been super paranoid that it's a bearing in the transmission that the CV shaft connects to.
It very well could be either. Without a chassis ear you need to do some work.If you lift it can you duplicate it?

Quick Reply: Can't pinpoint what sounds like a bearing issue!