Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Can't pinpoint what sounds like a bearing issue!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 07:13 PM

Well, I bought a new CV shaft, took it to my tire store to have them install, owner calls me, says everything feels solid and smooth while on the lift and he didn't want to charge labor if it's not gonna help. I told him that I paid for the CV shaft already, go ahead and install it. Go to pick it up that afternoon, he tells me I ordered the WRONG CV shaft. He didn't take anything apart, just said it looked like the wrong part because inner end didn't look the same. Then he gives me a long winded speech about how he thinks it's a bearing inside the tranny. Got home and looked up part I ordered and I'm almost certain I ordered the right one. I think he doesn't realize there's a stub that comes out with old shaft that has to be put on new shaft before installing. I think he was halfway lying too. I think he just refused to believe it could be a CV shaft. So now I'm trying to find a real mechanic around my rural area.
It may be wishful thinking but I have been on the internet half the day today and have YET to find this situation where it DID end up being a transmission bearing issue. Lots of similar posts on this website but MANY authors of threads don't update and just leave the thread hanging. I'm literally tired from reading posts with no updates to the story.
I will update. I really appreciate you guys advice.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:38 PM

The passenger side will come out with the stub that needs to be transferred to the new axle. But, you have to pull the axle out to see that.
I have been going through the "unfinished thread" thing. Reddit is the worst. I have been spending 3 days GoOgling to find the 10 second solution.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The passenger side will come out with the stub that needs to be transferred to the new axle. But, you have to pull the axle out to see that.
I have been going through the "unfinished thread" thing. Reddit is the worst. I have been spending 3 days GoOgling to find the 10 second solution.
Hmm, is it possible the new one I ordered would have shipped with a new stub? Because I have splines on both ends! Lol, I feel silly if I did indeed get the wrong part.
Good luck on your Reddit search!
Old 02-12-2023, 12:24 AM

Now I'm paranoid I did get the wrong part. I was thinking that the new one would NOT have a stub, and I would need to use the old one. Here is the exact one I ordered. I just verified my model HHR with Detroit Axle website. Im pretty sure there are only two for HHRs, one for regulars like mine and another for the SS model.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Watch this video , compare the cv axles

The photo you posted doesn’t look like an HHR part for an automatic transmission, unless it came with the stub shaft installed.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:34 AM

In that case, left and right would be different; like the 5 speed axles. We are assuming you have an auto.
Detroit says for Passenger side auto only (on Amazon). Maybe it has eliminated the stub. It does have a shoulder for the seal.
Maybe contact Detroit Axle.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:13 AM

Detroit Axle site says that part number(986m-ax) is for HHR (not SS) right side(which is passenger) automatic transmission. So if you're wanting to put it on the driver side, or you have a manual transmission, or an SS, it's the wrong part.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Can you post a photo of the actual part you ordered and the part number on the packing slip or the carton the new axle came in. The photo you posted could be a file photo, and I can’t really see the transmission end

To confirm RJ , the Detroit Axle site shows 986M-AX

https://www.detroitaxle.com/part/cv-...-axle/986m_ax/
Old 02-12-2023, 09:48 AM

You say you've replaced the passenger side hub twice recently. Oldblue's suggestion of driver side hub should be considered.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Detroit Axle site says that part number(986m-ax) is for HHR (not SS) right side(which is passenger) automatic transmission. So if you're wanting to put it on the driver side, or you have a manual transmission, or an SS, it's the wrong part.
The 986m_ax is what is written on my actual part & the carton itself. I have an 08, automatic, 2.2 engine. So it has to be the right part. The new part doesn't have a removable stub, it is made with the stub.

Quick Reply: Can't pinpoint what sounds like a bearing issue!