Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

This can't be right

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:37 AM

It has gotten to the point people do not really understand that there were so many thing a car needed that no longer is even considered.

Just look a the old car books or Popular Mechanics and see all the piston ring adds. There was no argument on oil filters because there were none. Tube bias tires were repaired on the trip and often there would be several repairs in a 600 mile trip. Frozen kingpins.

If people of the 40's saw what we can do today with cars they would be amazed.

I was not of this era but worked with guys that were and I have worked on cars from the same time. Used to be you had to pull up the floor board to check brake fluid. That is if the car had hydralic brakes. Drive a mechanical brake car a see how fun it is.

Todays are are very capable is so many ways we take for granted.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

hyperv6-

Very true.

My (first car) 1953 Chevy 210 Deluxe had the master cyl under the driver side floor board.

Had to adjust the valves

Re-bushed the king pins.

And keep a pack of matches in the car, for a quik tune up, & re-gap on the ign points..
Old 10-25-2010, 06:18 PM

I have no qualms about letting the car tell me when to change the oil. However, since I will be putting away the SS for the winter soon, I will change my oil with probably 45-50% oil life remaining.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:36 PM

This discussion( about oil change intervals ) is much like what goes on with the car audio sites. People always wanting other folks to tell them what amplifiers to buy, what speakers are unbeatable. If you are still into droppin' your oil at 3K, do it. It's YOUR car ain't it? Just because I change mine different doesn't make me smarter, just means I'm saving money by using synthetic and going 8,500 to 9,000 between changes. Thats the reason we use synthetic isn't it? (among others of course). You are the one "totin' the note" and payin' the bills, use YOUR best judgement. Just MY H O.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:59 PM

The bottom line is todays cars are not the same as out fathers and grand fathers. The cars have changed, the technology has changes and the rules have changes.

Today people are often trying to play with todays cars with yesterdays rules. That often will work as it will not hurt anything unless you try to dump 30 weight non detergent into you ss. But they are doing their wallet a dis service by not taking advantage of todays advances.

All GM and other here can do is pass along what todays rules are. If they can afford to still play by yesterdays rules that is their choice. I have better thing to do with the money I no longer have to spend and still get as good or better service than I did in the past.

With todays cars we all need to keep up with the changes as many more are coming and what used to work no longer applies in many areas.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
hyperv6-

Very true.

My (first car) 1953 Chevy 210 Deluxe had the master cyl under the driver side floor board.

Had to adjust the valves

Re-bushed the king pins.

And keep a pack of matches in the car, for a quik tune up, & re-gap on the ign points..
My father has a 54 Chevy 210. lol. I put new bushings on the king pins, used the lid to a pack of matches to set the points gap, and we replaced the master cylinder with a remanufactured one. It was definitely a pleasant experience. There was just something better about it... something...intentional. Its like it was meant to be easily maintained.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:45 PM

I have only made it to 5k miles on my 06HHR I just can't get past the changing the oil every 3 months or 3k miles that was drilled into my head growing up. I will probably change this one at least every 5K.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nacademus
My father has a 54 Chevy 210. lol. I put new bushings on the king pins, used the lid to a pack of matches to set the points gap, and we replaced the master cylinder with a remanufactured one. It was definitely a pleasant experience. There was just something better about it... something...intentional. Its like it was meant to be easily maintained.
Man I'd love to have another one.. They were built to last..
& simple to work on too...
Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Deceased

In some respects not building them like they used to is good. If I had to have an accident it would be in something new, I love my Corvan but in that I'm the crush zone!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by nacademus
In some ways somethings on the old cars were easier. But in todays cars we take for granted that we no longer have to replace king pins no ever set a point. Heck most people don't change plugs till 100,000 miles.

I still remember dealing with frozen king pind on Ford trucks because people failed to grease them. I also heard stories on the old bia tires that would only last 15,000 miles and even then would have a flat in the tube every 2,000 miles.

Just look at the old magazine ads in a Popular Mechanics. They advertise piston rings in all of them. It was not un common to replace rings, bearings and valves in most cars before 100,000 miles.

Even with some of the bad we get with more expensive parts and the electonics todays cars really are better than any of the old cars. Just because we don't drive them daily and only to cruise in's many forget how long things used to last.

As for crash strenght. Check out on You tube the 59 Chevy and 09 Malibu that crash head on in a test. The 09 Malbu crushed the 59 back to the back seat. The Bu has little damage from the windshield back. The bigger is better in these old cars is not really so true. Todays cars ands structures are very strong. But then again that is why a small Malibu also weighs in at 3500 pounds too.

The good old days had their charms. They may be built to last but not with out a lot of work to keep them on the road. If I were driving cross country it would only be in a new modern car.