Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

This can't be right

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Deceased

The HHR is a unibody as are most cars and crossover SUV's. The "X" frame was used to lower the floor of the car and its overall height because in the late '50's lower and longer was better. There was a big battle between the big three car makers about who had the lowest, longest, and widest cars. The reason the "X" frame was and is a killer, is that there is no side rail under the rocker panels so the body is relied upon to provide strength. Body on frame cars have fairly loose bodies because they aren't structural, and hence very weak when unsupported like in an "X" framed car. All modern body on frame vehicles like full size pickups use a perimeter frame that goes around the edges and supports the body under the rocker panels.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Eric- I'm impressed about you knowledge of the "X" frame. circa: 1958-1964

All B-body cars since 1965 have used perimeter frames with side rails
I do know a few things, especially for my age.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
I do know a few things, especially for my age.
I know that. But there are many that have no clue about things like the 1958-1964 "X" frame cars..
Old 01-09-2011, 11:12 AM

Hi guys I am new to the forum, but I have a 2009 HHR ( which is dubbed "Grandma's Hybrid Hot Rod).
Old 01-09-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tessa2
Hi guys I am new to the forum, but I have a 2009 HHR ( which is dubbed "Grandma's Hybrid Hot Rod).
Welcome to the forum!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:14 PM

One real issue with the X frames too were rust. I saw many of them at the end of their lives when I started working on cars. So many were rusting away in areas that prevented the car being lifted.

While the X frame had it's faults do not assume the full frames were much better. My neighbor had a towing company and the full frame car folded up much easier than some would like to remember. I saw all the car from the 60's and 70 hit at one time or another. They are no where near the standards of todays car..

The full frame and body in the old days never really worked together to support the car in a crash. Often the frame folded and the body ripped away.

Today the unibodies are designed to fold and absorbe the crash while covering the passengers in a safety compartment. Like anything if you hit it hard enough or with something larger it will yeild. But todays cars will hold up much better nearly any car from the 60's.

The 08 Malibu into a 65 or 55 Full Chevy frame. would have netted the same results.

In fact most full frame Converitbles were so flimsy that if you lifted them on a rack you had to open the doors before you lifted it or they would not open.

Note the only reason they chose the 59 Chevy was not the X frame but the fact the Malibu was a 09 and they wanted show the differance of 50 years and the improvments. It just happened the test was done in 59.